Problem with my Netgear Router....

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Since my ISP is AOL, i decided to go for it's recommended wireless router... which is a Netgear DG834G. I set everything up correctly but I keep falling at the last hurdle. It keeps trying to connect online but I keep getting a "cannot connect to remote host" message. I keep making sure that the password and username is correct. But still nothing. But the router connects to the PC via the network card (Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC) does that make any difference or do all network cards do the same function?

x_comp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Have you tried rebooting the router or resetting it? Before you do that, you might want to check if the connection type is set correctly for your ISP.

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Everything is connected as it says in the book. The lights are all functioning as it says. I am connected online using a BT ADSL modem. Am I making a newbie mistake that I can't just throw out the modem and replace it with the router to go online?

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure how the AOL modem functions, but I would keep the modem and plug it into your internet port on the router (if the modem connects to the router with ethernet).

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
Doh. I looked at the router's specs and didn't realize it has it's own port to plug the phone line in to. I have never used ADSL before or known anyone locally that uses it (as it doesn't exist here). So I had assumed it was a standard ethernet/wifi router, with a modem that connects to your network via ethernet (like some other modems).

I would call AOL and ask them about it, or look for some sort of instructions/settings on their site. Tech support's a pain in the ass, but if it's free and it's taking this long to get it working, it should be worth it.
tongue.gif

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Have you put your full email address in as you user name @aol.com. If your having problems give AOL a ring. I had a problem with my netgear on AOL at first and they fixed it for me. Even though I got the router cheaper at amazon
laugh.gif
My netgear DG834G works perfectly on AOL.

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Have you put your full email address in as you user name @aol.com. If your having problems give AOL a ring. I had a problem with my netgear on AOL at first and they fixed it for me. Even though I got the router cheaper at amazon
laugh.gif
 My netgear DG834G works perfectly on AOL.
I never thought about using the @aol.com part. I'm kinda holding off using the tech support because they're now charging the customers if they phone and trying out Live Help didn't help as the second I mentioned "wireless router" it seemed to trip it into a bunch of copy pasted stuff.

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting... putting in @aol.com changes the problem from connecting to remote host to it hanging on trying to communicate with the web....

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well... that's it... it's all over.... Netgear modem is not working as I expected.... back for a refund and use the money for my mum's birthday present.

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Holy crap... I was about to pack the stuff away last night and before I did, something in my mind kept bugging me and saying, "you're not gonna give up that easily are you?" So I tried it again but this time I found the problem. Turns out in the network connection if I right click on the icon where I plugged in the ethernet cable... there was an option that says "connect using this IP" and "Obtain IP address automatically" Turns out that it was set to "connect using this IP" all this time. Everything finally installed well and I played Mario Kart and Tetris DS online for the first time....... and got my ass kicked royally. But I finally got it working.... thanks for the advice everyone. FREE BOOZE
grog.gif

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey... it's problem dude again.... Netgear router wouldn't work with MSN.... I tried the instruction at portforwarding.com but it didn't work.... any idea?

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hey... it's problem dude again.... Netgear router wouldn't work with MSN.... I tried the instruction at portforwarding.com but it didn't work.... any idea?

MSN works fine for me on my netgear router. I've never had to forward the ports to do it, but if your sending files on MSN you need the ports forwarding. Have you tried the latest version of MSN which they've called windows live messenger?

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hmm.... got it working. Turns out that although I can browse with Firefox.... it wouldn't open with IE and the error message in MSN was that I need to connect with IE to get it working in the first place.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E