Homebrew Problem with media player on Wii

JFTS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
I wanted to watch some films on my Wii, so I downloaded Wiimc player. I set everything and all seemed to work when it displayed a black screen showing "DSI Error occurred" and a bunch of code lines, followed by freezing. I turned the console off and repeated the process. That time, the movie played for 2 minutes and then the console froze again.

After that I downloaded mplayer. This player is of less quality than the first and supports subtitles only on the Latin alphabet. However it did play the movie with another problem. Much often the colours of the film would have a purple light and after 3-4 seconds they would turn to normal again. The movie is on 720p and my Wii is connected with PAL RGB on a CRT TV. Could it be that the resolution is larger and the Wii cannot render it fast enough?

What would you suggest?

miihackwii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Not sure how to fix your problem, but playing movies in 720p is a bit much for the wii to handle, as the wii only outputs 480i

JFTS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
That pretty much answers half of my questions, however I did encounter problem with standard resolution videos too.

miihackwii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
are you using the latest version of wiimc v1.3.2? I have just give this a try with a standard dvd rip and it works great, I tried a 720p and I just get a load of glitching.

JFTS

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Fiji
I really don't remember what version I'm running, but I guess it's not that old. I downloaded it just a month before.

Dogway

Trophies
XP
Country
For me the best media player for Wii is mplayer CE, I personally use the r.619 (not latest) because newer versions don't recognize my HDD's. It accepts more formats than WiiMC and is more compatible for all Wiis (homebrew versions, required IOSes, etc)
There's only one annoying bug in AC-3 audio that it sometimes makes a repetitive sound. Just play a healthy video, go back to the AC-3 video and it should sound good as supposed.

nakata6790

True Player
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
OP, if your problem still persists: Mplayer supports greek subtitles and greek fonts in the directories, i know cause that's what i use and have set up.

Also, try to find WiiMC plus (it's on the official WiiMC forums) it's much better than regular WiiMC.
WiiMC is generally better and easier due to pointer controls and configuration, however MPlayer is more stable and has smoother playback on videos larger than 576i.

P.S. Έλληνας κι εγώ, αν θες στα στελνω σε πμ τα apps.

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
It also depends on the codec used and the way the video is encoded. WiiMC or mPlayer might not use the latest and greatest codecs therefore you may not get playback reliability or quality. The same things happens on PCs if you're using old outdated codecs trying to run certain file/compression types. The last time I tried running a video file through WiiMC that would not play correctly was mkv files of the TV show Doug, I even tried transcoding them into mp4 files but it must have been the encode method as they were even worse after transcoding. This was about a year ago so perhaps the latest version has been updated with newer, better codecs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: DAYTONAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!