ROM Hack Problem with Kiwi.ds NDS Editor

Markitus95

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello, I'm trying to edit the sound_data.sdat of Pokémon Diamond with NDS editor 0.1, but I'm having a huge problem.

When I try to open a file with NDS editor (no matter if it's a .nds, a .sdat, etc) the program says: "Could not open file. Unsupported file format". I can't open anything with it, and I need it to replace some internal files of the game. What's the problem?

PD: I have tried the program under XP and Seven.

Poryhack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How exactly are you opening the files? Try dragging them into the main window after starting the program.

Blazaking

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
Well, normally I'd open them by pressing the open button on the window. But dragging them onto it isn't making a difference either. So far, every single of Pokemon ROMs have failed to work on Kiwi because they are an "unsupported file format". However, Kiwi is able to open my Pokemon White ROM.

Poryhack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blazaking said:
Well, normally I'd open them by pressing the open button on the window. But dragging them onto it isn't making a difference either. So far, every single of Pokemon ROMs have failed to work on Kiwi because they are an "unsupported file format". However, Kiwi is able to open my Pokemon White ROM.
I don't really know what to tell you then. Make sure the files all have .nds extensions and that they aren't damaged/compressed. Not much else I can think of.

Hatchetball

RepititionRedundancyRepitition
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Orengefox said:
Poryhack said:
Make sure the files all have .nds extensions and that they aren't damaged/compressed.
Adding to this; I've tested the fallowing Pokemon games (listed below) using the NDS Editor to see if there was a problem with the games or the editor itself. All of them were able to load up onto the program and I was able to load up their *.sdat files onto the program without any issues. My suggestion would be the use these particular files I've listed below (I can't give you links to these files but they're not hard to find online) and make sure they're in the exact file size (in bytes) as listed below.

File Name - File Size (in bytes)

1015 - Pokemon Diamond (v05) (U)(Legacy) - 67,108,864 bytes
1016 - Pokemon Pearl (v05) (U)(Legacy) - 67,108,864 bytes
3540 (or 3541) - Pokemon Platinum (U)(Xenophobia) - 134,217,728 bytes
4787 (or 4780) - Pokemon - HeartGold Version (U) - 134,217,728 bytes
4788 (or 4781) - Pokemon - SoulSilver Version (U) - 134,217,728 bytes
5215 - Pokemon - White (DSi Enhanced) (J) - 268,435,456 bytes
5216 - Pokemon - Black (DSi Enhanced) (J) - 268,435,456 bytes

While you're at it, I would make sure that NDS Editor you're using is the right file size (in bytes) as well.

Kiwi.ds NDS Editor v0.1 - 197,120 bytes

Hopefully that should fix some of the issues people have been getting when using the NDS Editor to open up Pokemon games
wink.gif

Are you saying kiwi.ds will edit Black/White roms? :wtf:

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Orengefox said:
Poryhack said:
Make sure the files all have .nds extensions and that they aren't damaged/compressed.
Adding to this; I've tested the fallowing Pokemon games (listed below) using the NDS Editor to see if there was a problem with the games or the editor itself. All of them were able to load up onto the program and I was able to load up their *.sdat files onto the program without any issues. My suggestion would be the use these particular files I've listed below (I can't give you links to these files but they're not hard to find online) and make sure they're in the exact file size (in bytes) as listed below.

1015 - Pokemon Diamond (v05) (U)(Legacy) - 67,108,864 bytes
1016 - Pokemon Pearl (v05) (U)(Legacy) - 67,108,864 bytes
3540 (or 3541) - Pokemon Platinum (U)(Xenophobia) - 134,217,728 bytes
4787 (or 4780) - Pokemon - HeartGold Version (U) - 134,217,728 bytes
4788 (or 4781) - Pokemon - SoulSilver Version (U) - 134,217,728 bytes
5215 - Pokemon - White (DSi Enhanced) (J) - 268,435,456 bytes
5216 - Pokemon - Black (DSi Enhanced) (J) - 268,435,456 bytes

While you're at it, I would make sure that NDS Editor you're using is the right file size (in bytes) as well.

Kiwi.ds NDS Editor v0.1 - 197,120 bytes

Hopefully that should fix some of the issues people have been getting when using the NDS Editor to open up Pokemon games
wink.gif
Giving Filesize is absolutely pointless to make sure you have the right version, since the files will ALWAYS be that size unless trimmed. Essentially you're saying "find the ones that are 64MB, 128MB and 256MB".
Give the CRC32.

Markitus95

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have been trying some methods to open the file and I have discovered something curious: copy the file you want to edit to the root of the C:\ drive and try again
smile.gif

This allows me to open the file. But if I move it to an another folder of C:\ or to an another drive, it doesn't open. Maybe it's a weird bug of the software itself?

Blazaking

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
Markitus95 said:
I have been trying some methods to open the file and I have discovered something curious: copy the file you want to edit to the root of the C:\ drive and try again
smile.gif

This allows me to open the file. But if I move it to an another folder of C:\ or to an another drive, it doesn't open. Maybe it's a weird bug of the software itself?
Holy shit, this actually worked! I wish I had checked back here earlier! Thanks alot!

MickBooterhood

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Markitus95 said:
smile.gif

I still don't understand how to do that. Can you explain step-to-step please, like to a 9-year-old? It's because I'm trying to build my first own Rom Hack but can't get my .nds file become a .narc. I used all the Converters so far; NDS Converter, kiwi.ds, DSLazy (even though I think it's not quite a Converter) and many others so far.

rastsan

8 baller, Death Wizard,
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
these don't "convert" the files. they are front-ends to explore the file system that 'may" have .narc files in there.

It'll be easier to explain with crytaltile2
run ct2
open the nds rom
then got to "tools" on the top menu. then nds file system.

a new window pops up and it has the the file structure of the rom and look if you explore you will find the .narc that some of the guides on how to hack pokemon are telling you to look for...

when you find the .narc you are wanting to edit - in the file system pop up window - right click on it and choose export.
when you are done doing what you want to that file you can import it back by again right clicking the same file in the file system pop up and this time choosing import file.

these programs don't convert them to narc they help with editing the files in the rom itself.
well just in case you may have to decompress the files first before you edit them but that is more of something that should have been talked about in the how to hack pokemon guide...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr