Problem with Kiwi.ds NDS Editor

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Markitus95, Oct 8, 2010.

Oct 8, 2010
  1. Markitus95
    OP

Newcomer Markitus95 Member

Spain
    Hello, I'm trying to edit the sound_data.sdat of Pokémon Diamond with NDS editor 0.1, but I'm having a huge problem.

When I try to open a file with NDS editor (no matter if it's a .nds, a .sdat, etc) the program says: "Could not open file. Unsupported file format". I can't open anything with it, and I need it to replace some internal files of the game. What's the problem?

PD: I have tried the program under XP and Seven.

2. Blazaking

Newcomer Blazaking Newbie

Pakistan
    Could someone please answer this? I'm having the same problem.

3. Poryhack

Member Poryhack GBAtemp Fan

United States
    How exactly are you opening the files? Try dragging them into the main window after starting the program.

4. Blazaking

Pakistan
    Well, normally I'd open them by pressing the open button on the window. But dragging them onto it isn't making a difference either. So far, every single of Pokemon ROMs have failed to work on Kiwi because they are an "unsupported file format". However, Kiwi is able to open my Pokemon White ROM.

5. Poryhack

Member Poryhack GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I don't really know what to tell you then. Make sure the files all have .nds extensions and that they aren't damaged/compressed. Not much else I can think of.

6. Blazaking

Pakistan
    Well, thanks anyway...

7. Orengefox

Newcomer Orengefox Member

United Kingdom
    [Please Delete]

Last edited by Orengefox, Jul 19, 2016
  8. Hatchetball

Member Hatchetball GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Are you saying kiwi.ds will edit Black/White roms? :wtf:

9. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    Giving Filesize is absolutely pointless to make sure you have the right version, since the files will ALWAYS be that size unless trimmed. Essentially you're saying "find the ones that are 64MB, 128MB and 256MB".
    Give the CRC32.

10. Orengefox

Newcomer Orengefox Member

United Kingdom
    [Please Delete]

Last edited by Orengefox, Jul 19, 2016
  11. Markitus95
    OP

Newcomer Markitus95 Member

Spain
    I have been trying some methods to open the file and I have discovered something curious: copy the file you want to edit to the root of the C:\ drive and try again [​IMG]

This allows me to open the file. But if I move it to an another folder of C:\ or to an another drive, it doesn't open. Maybe it's a weird bug of the software itself?

12. Blazaking

Pakistan
    Holy shit, this actually worked! I wish I had checked back here earlier! Thanks alot!

13. MickBooterhood

Newcomer MickBooterhood Newbie

United States
    I still don't understand how to do that. Can you explain step-to-step please, like to a 9-year-old? It's because I'm trying to build my first own Rom Hack but can't get my .nds file become a .narc. I used all the Converters so far; NDS Converter, kiwi.ds, DSLazy (even though I think it's not quite a Converter) and many others so far.

14. rastsan

Member rastsan 8 baller, Death Wizard

Canada
    these don't "convert" the files. they are front-ends to explore the file system that 'may" have .narc files in there.

It'll be easier to explain with crytaltile2
    run ct2
    open the nds rom
    then got to "tools" on the top menu. then nds file system.

a new window pops up and it has the the file structure of the rom and look if you explore you will find the .narc that some of the guides on how to hack pokemon are telling you to look for...

when you find the .narc you are wanting to edit - in the file system pop up window - right click on it and choose export.
    when you are done doing what you want to that file you can import it back by again right clicking the same file in the file system pop up and this time choosing import file.

these programs don't convert them to narc they help with editing the files in the rom itself.
    well just in case you may have to decompress the files first before you edit them but that is more of something that should have been talked about in the how to hack pokemon guide...