Hacking Pro Duo, Pro-HG Duo, or Pro Duo Mark2?

Bojack316

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Looking for a new memory stick for this PSP3000 I'm going to pick up. Probably will go with a Sandisk 8GB or 16GB but I see so many different types I'm not sure what's best. I'm seeing normal Pro Duos, some called Pro-HG Duo, and some Pro Duos with Mark 2 on them. What's the best way to go with these, and are there any memory sticks to avoid (just plain suck, or don't work well with hacking a PSP)?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The ones that cause issues with hacking are adapters and fakes, so since it seems like you're just looking at official ones you should be fine.

The difference between PRO and PRO DUO is PRO DUO has a higher capacity, but PRO-HG DUO is a faster technology... but then again PRO-HG DUO was introduced in 2006, two years before Mark 2, so I'm going off the assumption that any "PRO DUO" stick that's at least a few gigs is HG.

Mark 2 indicates a minimum write speed. Read is what's important for hacking uses, but a memory stick that can do better write is often built with a faster controller and such so read is increased as well.

That's about what I can tell. Unlike MicroSDs, PRO DUO doesn't connect to that many devices so it's sort of hard to benchmark and no direct performance numbers are out there.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Like Rydian have said, since you are going for official MSPD, the difference among them is only speed. HG boosts both read and write speed while Mark 2 only mandates minimum write speed.

With official card, pretty much anyone will work. I'm using 2 x 32 GB Lexar Mark 2 MSPD.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
from what i remember reading the HG cards use extra pins for the extra speed boost. the PSP never had those pins so you won't get the benefits of those cards. i also saw some photos of the old HG packaging where it said that it wasn't intended for the PSP.

i got a couple of these when they were on sale: http://www.frys.com/product/6934447...HhOM0K8AQ__.node4?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG i've not had a single issue.

i've also seen many psp owners recommend the "gaming memory stick" by sandisk. its reported to be a bit faster. http://www.sandisk.com/products/memory-cards/mspd/gaming/ sadly, it doesn't come larger than 8 gb.

-another world

Bojack316

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Any thoughts on the Sandisk 32GB Memory Stick Pro-Duo Dual Slot Adapter with 2x16GB micro SD cards? Thinking about purchasing this for my PSP-3001 but am unsure if there's any issues with compatibility or otherwise.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Any thoughts on the Sandisk 32GB Memory Stick Pro-Duo Dual Slot Adapter with 2x16GB micro SD cards? Thinking about purchasing this for my PSP-3001 but am unsure if there's any issues with compatibility or otherwise.
Can you post a photo of it? I'm pretty sure Sandisk does not manufacture such an adapter.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I and other users do not suggest any adapters. They can cause all sorts of issues that don't show up with normal sticks.

Bojack316

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yea, I don't think the adapter is manufactured by SanDisk. I guess I did name the product in that way. Just the 2 Micro SD cards are both San Disk Cards.
$(KGrHqR,!iIFD2Ejo2f-BRIG+f(UP!~~60_3.JPG

Bojack316

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Probably will just buy one of these from Ebay then. How will the speed on this be? I mean, it's no a HG, or a Mark2 or anything special lol.
$(KGrHqR,!l!FCebui8mCBQqeNL6Ofw~~60_3.JPG

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Don't buy memory from eBay. There's fakes and low-quality cards everywhere. Hell, we even see people on eBay that will take a lower-capacity card, silkscreen a new number onto it, and edit the partition table to make it look like it has far more space than it actually does so they can sell it at a high price.

Buy your memory from a legit source, like a brick and mortar store near you, or newegg/tigerdirect.

AngryGeek416

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
The Photofast CR-5400 adaptor works absolutely fine with 2 32gb sandisk microsd cards....dont bother buying the official 32GB MSPD its way to expensive and unnecessary.

remlei

Trophies
XP
Country
HG memory cards barely reach it's potential maximum performance, PSP can only do 15mb/s write speed, no more but can be less. HG memory cards are prove to be useful on mega pixel cameras like DSLR or AVCHD camera corders,

I tested this in actual real test, no gain using a HG cards on PSP, read speeds only matter on PSP.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
HG memory cards barely reach it's potential maximum performance, PSP can only do 15mb/s write speed, no more but can be less. HG memory cards are prove to be useful on mega pixel cameras like DSLR or AVCHD camera corders,

I tested this in actual real test, no gain using a HG cards on PSP, read speeds only matter on PSP.
Memory stick speedup CFW option on? OFW limits throughput for some reason.

remlei

Trophies
XP
Country
it wont work, even with memory stick speed up on PRO recovery menu, it just burst up the read write speed but not doing anything more than that. I did my test on PC to PSP write test. Using all kinds of test, it throws different results but not higher than 15mb/s. but if you insert it on VAIO's card reader, then its different story, it gone up to 50mb/s write speed

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The Photofast CR-5400 adaptor works absolutely fine with 2 32gb sandisk microsd cards....dont bother buying the official 32GB MSPD its way to expensive and unnecessary.
Except that adapter is a fake one. Genuine/real CR-5400 adapter was out of production very long time ago.

Any MSPD adapter you buy now days is fake, with their quality all over the places. Unless you willing to take a risk I would avoid these fakes at all time. PSP cannot take full advantage of HG because it does not have support for 8-bit transfer (regular MSPD uses 4-bit instead). There will still be some speedup with HG in PSP but not a lot.

My advice, buy authentic MSPD at reputable seller. ebay is NOT a reputable seller.

AngryGeek416

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Except that adapter is a fake one. Genuine/real CR-5400 adapter was out of production very long time ago.

Any MSPD adapter you buy now days is fake, with their quality all over the places. Unless you willing to take a risk I would avoid these fakes at all time. PSP cannot take full advantage of HG because it does not have support for 8-bit transfer (regular MSPD uses 4-bit instead). There will still be some speedup with HG in PSP but not a lot.

My advice, buy authentic MSPD at reputable seller. ebay is NOT a reputable seller.
Ive had one in my psp for 2 months now... no problems. You buy the official MS ill stick with this.

remlei

Trophies
XP
Country
SDA and NEON dual adapters now adays are good to go,

CR5400 is just crappy that the legit one can only recognize 16gb SDHC cards per slot. While the Fake CR5400 can do more at that recognizing higher than 16GB per slot.

So yeah make your choice, a legit one or a adapter cards that can do the same thing as legit one (without the copy protection "MagicGate" that you dont even care of). Write speeds are very close to compare to while Class10 SDHC can do 10mb/s write speed or maybe can be peaked at 14mb/s when done on a test, but im sure its stable on 10mb/s write which enough probably to transfer you games in 2-3 minutes (standard 1.6gb). HG cards can do 15mb/s write on PSP, Mark2 is just like a old days flash drive that can only do 4-5mb/s write speed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    13,600 MB/s though
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    I got a 980 pro iirc
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soldigms been pretty solid
    yeh 980 pro
    good enough tbf
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/gMNhZNI never heard about them but reviews are good
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, Crucial SSDs work fine. I have one installed in my Xbox.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Reviews seem positive.
    I believe I had some Patriot RAM running in a computer somewhere
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $250 is pretty solid considering
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With the refund it'll be about $150
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    6tb nvme pc ftw
    500 GB NVMe, 750 GB
    SATA SSD 1 TB HDD
    honestly I don't play pc games
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't game
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Once I buy this I'll be around 20tb worth of storage tho if we're talking all my drives
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All this crap I got and all I do is pick up the GabeDick to fiddle with his happy stick
    idk the total storage cap I have
    50 TB orso
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, I don't play PC games often. Mostly its all 90s-00s games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hm doing research quite possible my issue with this drive is bios related not detecting it fully
    run crystaldisk?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't think it would do much if gnome live even sees it as 2mb
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vmd issue possibly
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Vmd issue possibly