Privacy concern Anti Virus software for Windows?

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
What are, in your opinion, best AV software for Windows computers that focuses heavily on privacy and do not "spy" on you or collects your data.
Also among those, what are good at actually defending against online threats such as ..well..viruses and such?

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
From what I read, Windows 10 built-in AV protection is very efficient. As for privacy and spying, well, it's Windows 10, what do you expect? There are probably ways to improve that aspect, though.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My personal recommendation for decent, yet unobtrusive, security, based on personal experience (which includes getting infected by ransomware on a PC that was extensively secured);
Don't use any version of Windows below 8.1 on a machine connected to the net... ever!
Avast Free version is good enough to handle the regular security of your PC. Combine it with Malwarebytes Free Anti Malware (the free version no longer has real time protection, so just be sure to run it manually a couple of times a week for peace of mind).
Make sure your routers firewall isn't completely open - "medium" security should be enough to allow for most common usage scenarios. Windows firewall is pretty much all I use as a system firewall these days. I used to use Commodo but it became a bit tedious to manage effectively.
However, I would recommend Commodo's Ice Dragon (their fork of Firefox) as a browser. Extremely well focussed on privacy and anti-tracking. Combine it with plugins like Ghostery to all but eliminate all web tracking.
Dependant on your connection and web usage I'd also recommend a decent VPN, but I've found that they can make the internet almost unuseable at times so only use 'as required'.

console

Elvira fans ❤ :-) I'm rocking Windows 7 for 10 yrs
Trophies
Website
www.startpage.com
XP
Country
United States
Don't use Avast and AVG because company share your privacy and personal info to other companies and end up on dark website means hackers collect your info.

Avast Has Reportedly Been Selling User Data To Outside Companies (1/27/2020)
https://www.ubergizmo.com/2020/01/avast-selling-user-data-companies/

MajorGeeks post on facebook about Avast (same above).
https://www.facebook.com/majorgeeksdotcom/posts/3663768153640777

Avast and AVG collect and sell your browsing history: What you need to know (1/27/2020)
https://www.tomsguide.com/news/avast-avg-data-collection

If anyone have Avast and AVG, uninstall now! Use another anti-virus software like Avira, Kaspersky Free Antivirus, built in with Windows (Microsoft), etc should be safe.

Don't use Windows Vista or older OS (XP, 2000, 98, ME, 95, 3.1 from 1.0) because it don't have anti-ransom software (I did test Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware Tool for Business to install on Windows XP in VMware Workstation program on my Windows 7 but it don't working for XP!) to protect them from internet. Windows 7 to 10 are fine able to use protection against ransomware, make sure you use program name is Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware Tool for Business then you are safe.

Windows 7 is fine. Microsoft want force Windows 7 users to upgrade to Windows 10 or buy new computer with Windows 10. I saw many people are complaint about Windows 10 have serious problems with Microsoft spywares, buggy updates, crash, etc for no reasons. I lost trust in Microsoft because Microsoft already destroy my hotmail email for no reasons that is why I hate it. I would have move to Linux due by next year will be my first to use and drop support on Microsoft then done. If our hardware don't support Window 10. Keep Windows XP, Vista and 7 that come with old computers (Any Intel/AMD processor with dual core, 3 GB RAM or above, Nvidia/ATI/AMD video card) then use VMware Workstation to install Windows 7, 10 or Linux (32 Bit operating system only) to running on old computer without format your real operating system and use internet for everything like everyday like us. Make sure you have more room space on hard drive (between 40 GB - 120 GB) to use VMware Workstation program for another operating systems to install on your hard drive with operating system.

Don't worry about it. Must be more careful on internet. Do not open spam email with attachments that you don't know then delete them always, also never visit non-official websites that have hidden awful infect ads, pop ups, etc. Stay on official legal websites then we are safe to use for everyday like Google, news, emails, bank, shopping, socials (Facebook, etc), Steam/GOG/similar like that, etc. You must be on new version of Google Chrome / Brave 79.0.3945.130 or above to protection us against fake certificate signatures that is where non-official website have hidden codes that have fake certificate to install malware on your computer without notice. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and other security programs will catch it to destroy malware then clean it up.

Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware Tool for Business is free for Windows 7 to 10 right now. I high recommend everyone to download Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware Tool for Business to installed on all computers to protect us against all kind of ransoms. This program is one best ever than all other lousy weak ant-ransom software that don't protection enough like include boot sector files on hard drive is one very serious must protect operating system when turn on to start up computer to running operating system.

I recommend to use for protection list:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition
Spybot Anti-Beacon

Block all spywares from Microsoft for Windows 10, search for (Destroy Windows 10 Spying, DoNotSpy10, WindowsSpyBlocker, etc similar like that) on majorgeeks website.

https://www.majorgeeks.com/

Google Chrome 79.0.3945.130 or above, Brave 79.0.3945.130 or above, Firefox (must be on new version), Opera (new version) with Adblock Plus, Pop up blocker for Chrome/Firefox/etc, uBlock Origin (similar to Ghostery, built in protection against tracking and stop all malware website databases). No need Ghostery add on because uBlock Origin already have on list, it's same based on codes. When people visit non-offical websites then UBlock Origin add on will automatically block them and warning to you about website have malicious and someone trying to steal your info like that.

If kids are playing around on internet, then parents, teachers, staffs and security officers must stop kids from happen do something on computers. Internet is still dangerous everywhere because search on Google search engines or similar engines do have non-official website list on there which are dangerous have hidden malware ads, pop ups, etc.

Internet is not easy. That's why we must to check on official website news everyday like Google news and your official local news (state or country) often to keep us know and stay safe.

Be careful.

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just use what's built into windows, and blackbird.
Should do you well and if you ever want to be extra sure use malwarebytes free to do a scan

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
They all spy on you and what's the point in having one that doesn't because windows itself already spies on you anyway
Maybe you could try clamav or some other free software antivirus but I don't know if they are any good (or you could just use a better operating system)

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i dont use win10 but 7
But isn't Windows 7 phased out, since recently? If Microsoft doesn't support it any longer with updates, it makes it kind of risky to use it on the internet. I don't blame you to not want to upgrade to Windows 10, with all the privacy concerns. I myself, have Win 7 installed, but I don't use it for internet stuff. Linux is there for that (dual boot).

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I read, Windows 10 built-in AV protection is very efficient. As for privacy and spying, well, it's Windows 10, what do you expect? There are probably ways to improve that aspect, though.

Seconded, I use Windows Defender, no issues so far. I was using Norton and the damn thing kept waking Windows 10 out of sleep mode, it's annoying and I found it to be more than glorified bloatware.

Reactions: Dust2dust

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Well... if you want total privacy. Go with Linux and ClamAV (why you even need ClamAV on Linux is itself a question, but hey it ClamAV is opensource).

But for you:
Windows Defender (Built in since Windows 8) and Malwarebytes should be plenty enough for anyone.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just use what's built into windows, and blackbird.
Should do you well and if you ever want to be extra sure use malwarebytes free to do a scan

I completely forgot about Blackbird ...probably because you just run it once and it's done it's job.
Yeah, I recommend Blackbird over the likes of WindowsSpyBlocker, as some of those alternatives are a bit too aggressive in what they block - can leave you unable to update.

Stop getting Windows from Microsoft and get Linux. There is no spy, easy to use, legal and best of all.. ITS ABSOLUTELY FREE!

Linux is great for all the reasons you've detailed, but there are legitimate reasons for being tied to Windows - not every piece of software has an equivalent version available on Linux. Example; I use Adobe CC on my work Mac and can use the same license (and workflow) on my Windows PC... pretty sure there's still no (official) port of the CC apps for Linux, and the last time I tried any of the workarounds it wasn't great.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Linux is great for all the reasons you've detailed, but there are legitimate reasons for being tied to Windows - not every piece of software has an equivalent version available on Linux. Example; I use Adobe CC on my work Mac and can use the same license (and workflow) on my Windows PC... pretty sure there's still no (official) port of the CC apps for Linux, and the last time I tried any of the workarounds it wasn't great.

Good to know but take a look at this: https://www.maketecheasier.com/install-adobe-creative-cloud-linux/

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I recommend you use Linux, which doesn't spy on you.

Microsoft didn't discriminate, they gave the NSA access to outlook.com and skype no matter whether you used Windows, MacOS or Linux.

I don't see why it would influence your OS choice, people from the open source world have helped government agencies spy on users. It's not just Microsoft.

If you want to avoid dealing with anyone that would never help spy on you then you better start writing a compiler, in machine code. Good luck booting from scratch though & for that matter, making all your hardware.

Last edited by smf,

bloodninja

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also among those, what are good at actually defending against online threats such as ..well..viruses and such?

Windows Defender does a decent job. It comes with the OS so one less thing to manage and Microsoft pushes updates to protect its OS constantly. If privacy is a huge concern, Windows talks to the mothership constantly. Sends back so much telemetry we really do not know what they are sending. Switching away is not easy especially for gamers who like to check out new game releases. Linux is a solid alternative but it is different and has its own advantages and disadvantages. I personally use Arch (yeah im one of those guys) for my desktop and have lots of fun customizing and tweaking.

Anyway, the best protection is to use good judgement and stay away from sketchy sites as much as possible.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know much about privacy protection. I just use windows 10 with windows defender updates as much as possible. Then use quad9 (Change dns to 9.9.9.9) for web browsing against virus sites. And I guess a VPN for online privacy when browsing and chrome extensions.

But I guess most people dislike windows for various reasons. I guess a Linux os would probably be best for most people not wanting to worry about privacy issues. But not that I know how to use linux which is why I prefer windows. :ninja

Reactions: MetoMeto

bloodninja

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know much about privacy protection. I just use windows 10 with windows defender updates as much as possible. Then use quad9 (Change dns to 9.9.9.9) for web browsing against virus sites. And I guess a VPN for online privacy when browsing and chrome extensions.

But I guess most people dislike windows for various reasons. I guess a Linux os would probably be best for most people not wanting to worry about privacy issues. But not that I know how to use linux which is why I prefer windows. :ninja

Privacy is a lot of work. You often feel like wearing a tin foil hat. Sometimes not worth the effort but I think its important to know how your data could potentially be handled. DNS for example is not encrypted and is clear text. Your ISP could potentially build a profile on you based on the websites you go to and sell it for example (its legal in the US). DoH (DNS over SSL) is a feature that is becoming more mainstream. I believe its already in Firefox by default (may still be an optional setting that needs to be manually added) and Chrome is going to implement or so they say. Google is also an advertising company at the end of the day and they have the largest browser market share so I am sure that plays to their benefit.

If Windows gets the job done for you and you are happy, no reason to change for the sake of change. If you ever do want to check out Linux, I recommend spinning up a VM in Virtuallbox and play around with the command line. I been using it for 15 years and it lead me to my IT career.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lemme just say Norton is the best and it is god-level at doing AV stuff.

Norton is good, but it sometimes can have quirks like waking Windows up from sleep mode or prevent screensaver mode for whatever reason. Still better than McAfee, which is top tier trash.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Back when I was playing kakarot I looked up one little guide now all I see is dbz stuff