Hacking Prince of Persia The Forgotten Sands - New anti-piracy?

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
linuxares said:
Please read the law text and not a site made of gaming companies
tongue.gif
Please read the law text.

QUOTE(linuxares @ May 20 2010, 01:50 PM) EDIT: Correction also, you are allowed to bypass the copy protection if it makes the product you bought unusable (for example playing DVD movies in Linux. Before DVD-Jon)
Never heard about this, but then why would you want to? And it still doesn't exempt you from rules about distributing or making additional copies.

PIERCED6966

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Szalkow said:
PIERCED6966 said:
I think you will find that any contract you have between nintendo and urself has no effect under british sale of goods act.
They can say what the hell they want in the warrenty but the sale of goods act uphelds anything they may say.
For example if you buy a TV in england u may only have a 12 month warrenty but the sales of good act states that just because they give u a 12 month warrenty if it goes after that, even up to 5 yrs, you are entitled to repair or replacement.
The same goes for any media you have bought, if i wish to make a copy then i can.
And as for the claim of people lying to themselfs, sorry i didnt claim to have bought it but alot of people in the thread are claiming to have bought it and as such are within there rights to have a copy that works.
Do you even understand the Sale of Goods Act?
It effectively gives the buyer protection against faulty merchandise and not much else. Since Nintendo products are reasonably guaranteed to be of good quality and use, if your game breaks down shortly after buying it you can demand repair or replacement; you may pursue this as part of an agreement with the seller or as legal or class action against the manufacturer. It NEVER permits you to make duplicates, circumvent copy protection, or ignore the terms and conditions. All of Nintendo's claims hold. I challenge you to find the sections of the Act that backs up what you're saying.

Furthermore, nearly every international copyright law states that backup copies of software are illegal if they require the circumvention of copy protection or if they violate the copyright holder's terms (which in this case they do).

Now that we're nice and off-topic, I'd like to confirm that I got PoP working with a manually-patched main.dol, cIOS249 rev17, and both CoverFloader and cLoader forwarder channels.

You will find it is covered under these:-

Sales of Goods Act 1975
Terms of guarantee do not affect the consumer rights stated either in the present legislation or in the purchase contract of the product.
This basically means it covered by the act below.

THE UK COPYRIGHT, DESIGNS AND PATENTS ACT 1998
You are LEGALLY ALLOWED to make a personal backup of any Original game or movie of whichever region, as long as you are the owner of the Original game or movie. You MUST DESTROY any backups when you don't legally own the Original DVD anymore (e.g. selling or giving it away).
This specifically allows the making of back-up copies of software, but only providing it is for lawful use.

SECTION 117 OF THE US COPYRIGHT LAWS: 117. LIMITATIONS ON EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS: COMPUTER PROGRAMS

(A) Making of Additional Copy or Adaptation by Owner of Copy. Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106, it is not an infringement for the owner of a copy of a computer program or movie to make or authorize the making of another copy or adaptation of that computer program provided:
(1) That such a new copy or adaptation is created as an essential step in the utilization of the computer program in conjunction with a machine and that it is used in no other manner, or
(2) That such new copy or adaptation is for archival purposes only and that all archival copies are destroyed in the event that continued possession of the computer program or movie should cease to be rightful.

Hope that clears ity up for you!

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
PIERCED6966 said:
Sales of Goods Act 1975
Terms of guarantee do not affect the consumer rights stated either in the present legislation or in the purchase contract of the product.
This basically means it covered by the act below.Terms of guarantee is just the agreement of product functionality and under which you are entitled to replacement and repair. All this sentence says is that Nintendo can't void your store warranty if you break their ToS.

PIERCED6966 said:
THE UK COPYRIGHT, DESIGNS AND PATENTS ACT 1998
You are LEGALLY ALLOWED to make a personal backup of any Original game or movie of whichever region, as long as you are the owner of the Original game or movie. You MUST DESTROY any backups when you don't legally own the Original DVD anymore (e.g. selling or giving it away).
This specifically allows the making of back-up copies of software, but only providing it is for lawful use.Thank you for referencing this act by title so that I can more easily locate the document. No thanks are due for your butchered paraphrasing of the law. Allow me to direct your attention to Section 50A, helpfully named "Back Up Copies".
(1) It is not an infringement of copyright for a lawful user of a copy of a
computer program to make any back up copy of it which it is necessary for
him to have for the purposes of his lawful use.
The key word here is necessary. It's not very clearly defined here, thus some confusion, but to date no court has ever ruled a backup copy necessary under section 50A.

Thankfully for you, the UK is a little less burdened (and a little more ambiguous) when it comes to the circumvention of copyright protection (Section 296ZA onward), as these rules only apply when the circumvention is done for marketing or to intentionally harm the copyright holder. Unfortunately for the US, circumvention of copy protection voids rights.

Thank you for attempting to clarify. As this argument pertains little to many of the users of GBAtemp who act in knowing violation and also to the topic at hand (getting PoP to work), I'd recommend it cuts off here. No one is policing GBAtemp users.

lejong2002

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all you forum members. Thanks.

I have a question.
There is no way for running PoP on FAT32 HDD?

I tried many times, many things, but not work for me.
cry.gif

Edit;
Dr. Clipper advised to check again the checklist.
And I finally play on my FAT32 HDD.

Thanks Dr. Clipper.

diddy81

Wii Theme Team
Trophies
XP
Country
so to bring this back on topic

i don't know if anyone knows about this but cfg loader released a update that includes the PoP patch

ocdetective

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
diddy81 said:
so to bring this back on topic

i don't know if anyone knows about this but cfg loader released a update that includes the PoP patch
Yup and all other patches and hooks need to be off.

HiBit

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
taktularCBo said:
Nein, dass umgehen des Kopierschutzes wurde doch 2008 bei Musik für legal geachtet.
Since 2008 its legal again (as far as i know)
Nein, das wurde es nicht.

Lies das UrhG:
§ 95a Schutz technischer Maßnahmen
(1) Wirksame technische Maßnahmen zum Schutz eines nach diesem Gesetz geschützten Werkes oder eines anderen nach diesem Gesetz geschützten Schutzgegenstandes dürfen ohne Zustimmung des Rechtsinhabers nicht umgangen werden, soweit dem Handelnden bekannt ist oder den Umständen nach bekannt sein muss, dass die Umgehung erfolgt, um den Zugang zu einem solchen Werk oder Schutzgegenstand oder deren Nutzung zu ermöglichen.
(2) Technische Maßnahmen im Sinne dieses Gesetzes sind Technologien, Vorrichtungen und Bestandteile, die im normalen Betrieb dazu bestimmt sind, geschützte Werke oder andere nach diesem Gesetz geschützte Schutzgegenstände betreffende Handlungen, die vom Rechtsinhaber nicht genehmigt sind, zu verhindern oder einzuschränken. Technische Maßnahmen sind wirksam, soweit durch sie die Nutzung eines geschützten Werkes oder eines anderen nach diesem Gesetz geschützten Schutzgegenstandes von dem Rechtsinhaber durch eine Zugangskontrolle, einen Schutzmechanismus wie Verschlüsselung, Verzerrung oder sonstige Umwandlung oder einen Mechanismus zur Kontrolle der Vervielfältigung, die die Erreichung des Schutzziels sicherstellen, unter Kontrolle gehalten wird.
(3) Verboten sind die Herstellung, die Einfuhr, die Verbreitung, der Verkauf, die Vermietung, die Werbung im Hinblick auf Verkauf oder Vermietung und der gewerblichen Zwecken dienende Besitz von Vorrichtungen, Erzeugnissen oder Bestandteilen sowie die Erbringung von Dienstleistungen, die

Gegenstand einer Verkaufsförderung, Werbung oder Vermarktung mit dem Ziel der Umgehung wirksamer technischer Maßnahmen sind oder
abgesehen von der Umgehung wirksamer technischer Maßnahmen nur einen begrenzten wirtschaftlichen Zweck oder Nutzen haben oder
hauptsächlich entworfen, hergestellt, angepasst oder erbracht werden, um die Umgehung wirksamer technischer Maßnahmen zu ermöglichen oder zu erleichtern.

(4) Von den Verboten der Absätze 1 und 3 unberührt bleiben Aufgaben und Befugnisse öffentlicher Stellen zum Zwecke des Schutzes der öffentlichen Sicherheit oder der Strafrechtspflege.

For the us/en ppl:
No.

frenchderf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
confirm working without any trick with latestest cfg loader (rev.57b4).

WII 4.2E, Wanin rev17 and Hermes 222,223 rev5

Frenchderf

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Szalkow said:
The key word here is necessary. It's not very clearly defined here, thus some confusion, but to date no court has ever ruled a backup copy necessary under section 50A.

Thankfully for you, the UK is a little less burdened (and a little more ambiguous) when it comes to the circumvention of copyright protection (Section 296ZA onward), as these rules only apply when the circumvention is done for marketing or to intentionally harm the copyright holder. Unfortunately for the US, circumvention of copy protection voids rights.

The law was for the situation where the media is obsolete, i.e. copying 5 1/4" to 3 1/2" floppies,
Also the EUCD applies now in the UK which makes it illegal to circumvent any digital copy protection.

In the US you are allowed to make a backup but the DMCA means you aren't allowed to use it.

OOPMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I can confirm this not working on my setup running from disc.

My setup:

4.1E, CIOSXr19 base 57, Hermes v5.

Running from NeoGamma and uLoader both have the safe result. Game black-screens after the final video logo. After screen turns black, it accesses the disc a few times and then nothing. Remote stays on, nothing else works. I have to hold power to shut-down.

This happened with a Verbatim DVD-R burnt at 2x with no write errors.

Used the Prominent release...

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Try these .wip files in your NeoGamma folder:
http://www.mediafire.com/?mzjceytmmz3

Enable looking for patches, disable EVERYTHING that patches the disc in another way(Ocarina, language, video mode patches, Country String patching etc) and when loading check that it says patch applied.

For now NeoGamma is the only loader with working .wip support, in GX it seems to be broken and in cfg it's broken and will be fixed in the next release(but latest cfg has the patch hardcoded).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/q1474nWP0bI?si=5v445vycfskxD3V8