Hacking Priiloader can brick a Wii?

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Every application that changes the system so severe shouldn't leave an option to do things wrong.
If people brick things doing something wrong, you need to ask yourself as creator of the application, how could I have avoided this, instead of blaming people because they did something wrong.
A first step in the process is a clear warning that doing x will cause problems (as this can be done immediatly), and a second one is altering the system in such a way that it becomes nearly impossible
for the users to make that mistake again.
The first reaction of blaming people is however normal human, as you ask yourself, how could they possible think about doing that.
Most programmers forget that people using the application don't have the same in depth understanding about how things work.
I usually won't experiment with things if I don't see a clear recover method. The wii however doesn't leave me much choice.
The recover method requires a nand backup, and to have that, you need to softmod it first?
Maybe there exist an application that can take a nand backup and can be run from a game exploit or the mail bomb exploit?
If such a one exist, I would like to hear about it.
Maybe the program Crediar created to dump a nand for neek could do it, but I don't know if it can run from an exploit?
Luckily, the hackmii installer is very fail safe, and maybe adding an extra step during the installation will just make the procedure unnecessairy more complex for noobs.
I am curious what you folks think about it. Sorry for hijacking this threat, but it was already moving away into that direction.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I've never installed Priiloader on any Wii that I own.

Every program that makes permanent changes to your NAND should be used with EXTREME caution.
You realize how much that covers, don't you? The HBC, bootmii, and any wad are just a few examples.

Why should I install priiloader if I allready have BootMii installed on boot2 on all working consoles?
The Wii that isn't boot2 vulnerable only has a discloader and isn't touched by other homebrew what so ever.
If that thing fails or becomes bricked I'd rather transplant the DVD drive over to an vulnerable Wii then repair it tbh

Kayot

Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
The first time I installed priiloader I bricked my wii. I got lucky though. I had made a Nand backup and I found that constant rebooting gave me a slim chance of entering priiloaders menu which in turn gave me a slight chance to enter bootmii. I managed to re-flash my Nand. Long story short, always update your IOS files before using any sort of boot loader. I got lucky, extremely lucky.

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it also might be the way one installs priiloader . The first wii our family got i installed priiloader without using the 236 installer/ priiloader installer.(used mmm) an got a brick, then spent my cash on a new one, an used the installers an every thing went as planned. updating from .4 to.7 even went well. so this might/could be the issue. also the one reason why i don't use mmm. an only use dop mii,an yawmm.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Every application that changes the system so severe shouldn't leave an option to do things wrong.
If people brick things doing something wrong, you need to ask yourself as creator of the application, how could I have avoided this, instead of blaming people because they did something wrong.
A first step in the process is a clear warning that doing x will cause problems (as this can be done immediatly), and a second one is altering the system in such a way that it becomes nearly impossible
for the users to make that mistake again.
The first reaction of blaming people is however normal human, as you ask yourself, how could they possible think about doing that.
Most programmers forget that people using the application don't have the same in depth understanding about how things work.
I usually won't experiment with things if I don't see a clear recover method. The wii however doesn't leave me much choice.
The recover method requires a nand backup, and to have that, you need to softmod it first?
Maybe there exist an application that can take a nand backup and can be run from a game exploit or the mail bomb exploit?
If such a one exist, I would like to hear about it.
Maybe the program Crediar created to dump a nand for neek could do it, but I don't know if it can run from an exploit?
Luckily, the hackmii installer is very fail safe, and maybe adding an extra step during the installation will just make the procedure unnecessairy more complex for noobs.
I am curious what you folks think about it. Sorry for hijacking this threat, but it was already moving away into that direction.

TT could do it. Their HackMii Installer actually loads into MINI while it loads, scans IOS, and then switches back to IOS when it knows what exploit it can use (happens while scam screen shows, so that the lack of Wii Remote is not an issue). I'm sure it wouldn't be extremely difficult for them to implement an (optional? - if you were running HackMii Installer more than once it wouldn't always be necessary) NAND dump at this stage, using code from Ceiling Cat (BootMii GUI).

But I don't really see much point. HackMii Installer has, I believe, NO reported bricks (which is pretty impressive IMO, especially considering the huge number of reported installs). And you can take a NAND dump immediately after installing HBC and BootMii, before doing anything else.

The_Dragons_Mast

Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
Nope bootmii can be installed in all wiis as IOS & in all wiis with vulnerable boot 1 in boot2 . I think when 4.3 came out it over written the IOS version & blocked the installer but a new hackmii installer came shortly after it that allowed the installation again .

brausm08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And you can take a NAND dump immediately after installing HBC and BootMii, before doing anything else.

how does one get bootmii running on a 4.3 wii? i thought you could not install it on that firmware.

-another world
with any of the exploits available for 4.3, you can run the hackmii installer and install bootmii.... exploits have been available for 4.3 for just about as long as 4.3 has been out.

EDIT: damn, ninja'd by Dragons_Master. actually, the update stubbed the 254 slot (bootmii IOS slot)...it could be reinstalled with the same installer...it was figuring out how to launch the installer that was the problem since the update also removed then HBC version 1.0.6 or lower (with channel ID HAXX or JODI) and blocked the BannerBomb exploit. the installer was updated to install HBC 1.0.7 with the ascii channel ID. once IOS58 was released, HBC was updated again.

EDIT: Just realized: my 600th post....

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
B HackMii Installer has, I believe, NO reported bricks (which is pretty impressive IMO, especially considering the huge number of reported installs)
i had some
because of cioscrap/darkcrap iirc
That shouldn't have any affect on it. You can't even use the hackmii installer if you have corp installed on any IOS it uses. Quit trying to spread rumors about patched IOS's.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
when bootmii is installed on a 4.3 wii is it going in boot2 or is it a custom ios file?

i'm assuming that either way you access the same way (holding reset?) and it has the same brick protection/functionality?

sorry for my ignorance, it seems the more i read about hacking my 4.3 wii the more confused i become!

-another world

brausm08

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when bootmii is installed on a 4.3 wii is it going in boot2 or is it a custom ios file?

i'm assuming that either way you access the same way (holding reset?) and it has the same brick protection/functionality?

sorry for my ignorance, it seems the more i read about hacking my 4.3 wii the more confused i become!

-another world
holding reset launches priiloader if it's installed (priiloader =/= bootmii).

as Dragons_Master said: bootmii will go to IOS if you so choose (though the hackmii 0.7+ installer automatically installs it at launch now), or it can go in boot2 if you have a vulnerable boot1. whether you have a vulnerable boot1 is independent of system menu and cannot be blocked by 4.3. it has everything to do with hardware and date of manufacture....(so you can deduce that a stock 4.3 wii will not have a vulnerable boot 1 as it was manufactured more recently and thus will only be able to install to IOS, but it's not because of 4.3 per se). the magical date of mfg for vulnerable boot1 is fall 2008 IIRC (feel free to correct me if i'm wrong anyone)

furthermore, bootmii/IOS is not really brick protection at all by itself....bootmii/boot2 is the best brick protection. however, it is useful to have bootmii/IOS installed so you can make a NAND backup since you would need that to reflash your NAND via Infectus in the event of full brick w/ no other recovery options.

as far as accessing bootmii: accessing bootmii/boot2 requires the bootmii files on an SD card and the SD card to be inserted when powering the wii on; it loads prior to anything IOS/SM related. launching bootmii/IOS also requires the bootmii files on your SD card, but also requires access to HBC or priiloader which loads after you SM IOS....

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
priiloader is just a way of running code before the ios boots? from within priiloader you could run bootmii and use its options to fix potential bricks? to get back to this topic, installing priiloader has inherent risks?

i was under the impression that a nand backup required special hardware, but by reading your reply it seems it can be done with software?

if you feel we are going way off topic then i would like to PM you to continue this conversation. i've found that most wii hacking guides lack answers to the questions i have, they are mostly just how-to steps.

btw, my wii is a limited 25th anv red edtion with 4.3 installed by default. i read in a "how-to hack guide" that i can not put bootmii in boot2 on this wii, which is why i was under the impression i could never use bootmii. as a result i stopped reading about what bootmii is, how it works, what it can do, etc. i started reading about custom ios files for brick protection and got confused rather quickly.

cheers,
-another world

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It would be great if the hackmii installer would dump the nand keys and add them to the installer.log. No need to have a nand dump, just need the keys.

hvckz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
this is it...
any application that edits/modify the wii's system software is "dangerous".
its on the user if they want to use it or not...

for me i've been using preloader/priiloader since the day it released..
and i've modified "a lot" of wiis and i have not encountered any brick..

so for me i don't mind any issues about daco.
its on the user side how they brick their asses.

It would be great if the hackmii installer would dump the nand keys and add them to the installer.log. No need to have a nand dump, just need the keys.
i like the idea

as of today we can do a lot with the wii keys.

and

while on the process of the hackmii installation
logging the

wii keys paralleled to the serial number of the console .

even if don't have a nand dump we can still recover the bricks with an external programmer.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
this is it...

i like the idea

I consider Priiloader safe, and I don't blame Daco for the full bricks from v0.5 (I blame TT for that, and they still haven't fixed it), but he is a dick. Just a couple weeks ago he was going on about how people who get 003 bricks deserve them, and it was good to update to 4.2+ because it filtered out people who deserved to keep their Wii.

air2004

Air
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, my friend just softmodded his wii this morning. Then he asked me what to install so that he won't brick his wii so I told him to install Priiloader. He downloaded Priiloader from wiibrew.org. The downloaded version is 0.7.So he installed Priiloader using MMM. Then after it installed it said about STACK DUMP. So he turned off his Wii then nothing shows up on the screen. Then I told him about my uncle that fixes Wii who also fixed my Wii. He said that some versions of Priiloader can brick a Wii. Is that true?
SO you told your friend to use priiloader , and it just so happens your uncle fixes wii's ? hmmm I smell a rat ...... just kidding LOL

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
this is it...

i like the idea

I consider Priiloader safe, and I don't blame Daco for the full bricks from v0.5 (I blame TT for that, and they still haven't fixed it), but he is a dick. Just a couple weeks ago he was going on about how people who get 003 bricks deserve them, and it was good to update to 4.2+ because it filtered out people who deserved to keep their Wii.
That is an asshole thing to say, 99% of 003 error wiis have never been softmoded by the end user. They where just ripped off by being sold region changed korean wiis without even knowing the risks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: