[Preview] Idiot: A Puzzle Platformer

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by TurtleP, Jan 7, 2016.

1. TurtleP
    OP

TurtleP GBAtemp Regular

Oct 7, 2015
    United States
    Hi all, I'm back!

This time around I've gone back to the past and dug up one of my old friend's games from about two years ago. It was made in the same framework that I use now, but an older version. Now, it's coming back with a better mood, graphics, and more on a 3DS. All with their permission of course!

Warning: Spoilers inside!

So, what's the deal? The original game as mentioned wasn't all that it used to be such as art style not fitting all the time and even the physics was sloppy. What will I do? I'm going to not just fix the minor problems, but give the game a general overhaul.

One thing to notice is the game looks quite nice. All sprites have either been redone to a single art style or are completely new to fit the style. Not only that, but why is the bottom screen blank? I'm surely going to use the touch screen for something as I normally do, right? RIGHT? Well, of course!

One of the new objects are pipes which will allow travel between the screens in a cool fade in/fade out transition, kind of similar to how New Super Mario Bros. (DS/2) do. Along with new objects include sensors which detect if the player has gone through it and toggle its linked object's input.

There is no set story/plot as of yet, and the game is still in its alpha stages so there's no rush for that. However, unlike the past two games I've made for the homebrew scene, this one will be a public alpha/beta. If you'd rather wait for release, that's fine. However, I'll try to do nightlies as I've managed to get some stuff done roughly every day be it a new puzzle element or map layout.

Want to actually see the development happen? You can also check out my game development streams on Hitbox.tv (same username, TurtleP). I'm not guaranteeing that I'll be online every night, but if you catch me streaming I hope you guys will enjoy the making of this game!

Github Page

Controls: 'a' to jump, Circle pad to move, 'b' to use objects

Latest Nightly: Jan 10, 2016

Changelog:

Last edited by TurtleP, Jan 11, 2016

2. hobbledehoy899

hobbledehoy899 Conniption Master

Nov 13, 2015
    United States
    linux-zen
    This reminds me of Battle Kid in an odd way.

3. SLiV3R

SLiV3R 3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206

Jan 9, 2006
    Wonderful! This looks just wonderful! :)

I'm eager to try this one out :)

4. TurtleP
    OP

TurtleP GBAtemp Regular

Oct 7, 2015
    United States
    I've never played that. I'll see what you mean. (I know it's a compliment :) )

@SLiV3R thanks! In the OP I linked the latest nightly alpha so you may try it for yourself. The first map is just a sandbox room but let's you understand how things work.

SLiV3R likes this.
  5. Tjessx

Tjessx GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 3, 2014
    Belgium
    Nice!

6. hobbledehoy899

Nov 13, 2015
    United States
    linux-zen
    Battle Kid: Fortress of Parail

7. Substance12

Substance12 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 2, 2015
    Argentina
    Off-topic question, where did you get that compatibility 3ds.lua library?

8. TurtleP
    OP

TurtleP GBAtemp Regular

Oct 7, 2015
    United States
    @Substance12 its something I had to make actually. It's not just lua however. It is used with the Löve API to create the compatibility. The game is run with Löve on my computer to ensure it runs on 3DS to prevent any errors. However, since its not 1:1 with Löve Potion in some aspects it won't work out of the box sometimes. Examples are things like RGBA values as tables need to be unpacked when setting a graphic's color since Löve Potion doesn't handle those yet. ;)

9. Substance12

Substance12 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 2, 2015
    Argentina
    Mind if I try to use it anyway? I'm making a game on LÖVEPotion

10. TurtleP
    OP

TurtleP GBAtemp Regular

Oct 7, 2015
    United States
    @Substance12 of course! You'll need to use Löve to make sure that it runs on PC. I can't send the file right now since I'm about to leave for work (and there may be a thing or two I need to add, such as setting the window mode to display both screens). I obviously can't get 3D working just as a heads up.

11. SLiV3R

Jan 9, 2006
    Cool! I'll try it out tomorrow :)

12. TurtleP
    OP

TurtleP GBAtemp Regular

Oct 7, 2015
    United States
    Added a changelog to the OP as well as the latest nightly to my github. I won't post about the changelog or nightly to bump again.

JJTapia19 and SLiV3R like this.
  13. SLiV3R

Jan 9, 2006
    Cool man! :)

Thanx again for all your work :)

14. TurtleP
    OP

TurtleP GBAtemp Regular

Oct 7, 2015
    United States
    Doing some live streaming for the game right now. Come join: www.hitbox.tv/TurtleP

Won't guarantee a nightly with this, but who knows.

SLiV3R and JJTapia19 like this.
  15. TurtleP
    OP

TurtleP GBAtemp Regular

Oct 7, 2015
    United States
    Just a head's up: you can update your game via the github repo if you want. The .3dsx is really just Löve Potion renamed. So, if you're interested in what I'd recently added (which wasn't much, just some small stuff) you can update. Just be sure the files are inside of a game/ folder inside of Idiot. But do keep Löve Potion itself seperate from the Idiot 3dsx in the event that one updates but not the other.

Path:
    Code:
    sdmc:/3ds/Idiot/game/<main.lua, etc>

hobbledehoy899 and SLiV3R like this.
  16. hobbledehoy899

Nov 13, 2015
    United States
    linux-zen
    Is the game hardcoded to read the file path like this?

17. GalladeGuy

GalladeGuy Freeze Kirby :3

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    This looks great! Platformers and puzzles are my two favorite genres, and its a cool idea to put them together. I can't wait for the full release! Just don't forget to add it to your signature. ;)

18. TurtleP
    OP

TurtleP GBAtemp Regular

Oct 7, 2015
    United States
    GalladeGuy likes this.
  19. TurtleP
    OP

TurtleP GBAtemp Regular

Oct 7, 2015
    United States
    Just so everyone interested knows: this isn't dead. I have been working out plot details and such with my friend who helped with the original version of the game. That and helping VideahGams with Love Potion.

Tjessx likes this.
  20. TurtleP
    OP

TurtleP GBAtemp Regular

Oct 7, 2015
    United States
    Here's an update:

Been getting more productive with it. Five levels have been made 'official' so far.

Tjessx, SLiV3R and Voxel like this.