Hacking Preloader v0.30 Installer / Removal Tool

phpgeek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
D34DL1N3R said:
Hopefully the next version will fix the GX and CFG forwarder issues. It certainly isn't a
problem with the dols as they worked 100% in .29.

This makes it .30s fault... something in the code changed to make them not work anymore.

The problem is that crediar did not release the source code for 0.29, so if anything changed it's something he changed in the 0.30 source. Compiling against the newest version of libogc may also cause issues. This is something I will look into, but posting in big red bold letters is not going to encourage me to make your issue a priority. Only posting constructive feedback, like most of the posters in this thread will do that.

ether2802 said:
the restarting issue is still something on the bugs list and no one seems to care, what up with that..??
huh.gif

I have been unable to replicate this issue in rev 4. Have you tried removing and reinstalling preloader using the IOS249 method, as you may have a corrupt loader.ini, that's causing the issue? I may add a regeneration option for this config file at some point.

QUOTE(mgrimmenator @ Oct 18 2009, 08:49 AM)
The problem is that preloader no longer recognizes the usbdrive as a source for files.

That is correct, as I removed this to fix SDHC support properly. USB 1.1/2.0 support will be implemented in rev 5.

Finally, if I have not responded to any issues directly, don't worry about it, I have read all the feedback in this thread and appreciate all your constructive posts. These posts are all taken on board and considered as the development cycle progresses.

/phpgeek

lightyear

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
D34DL1N3R said:
Hopefully the next version will fix the GX and CFG forwarder issues. It certainly isn't a

This makes it .30s fault... something in the code changed to make them not work anymore.

DOL loading is working for me....did no one hear me about that? I even posted my youtube video proving that it works!! All I did was copy the dol I wanted to load from my apps folder so it's got a twin in both the root folder & the apps folder. In my case, it was USB loader GX's boot.dol (I left it boot.dol....don't know if that matters) Then I installed the app with preloader, selected to autoboot installed dol, and when I restart USB loader GX opens up...every time!! If I hit the home button (even while playing a game) and select system menu, it returns to USB loader GX...it literally becomes the system menu.

I still have full access to HBC, disk loading, USB loading, navigating the SD card, USB loader options, etc, etc, etc....the only way to get to the Wii system menu now is for me to change autoboot back to system menu. Even if I click on system menu in preloader it loads USB loader as long as it's set to autoboot the file.

mgrimmenator

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
phpgeek said:
D34DL1N3R said:

The problem is that crediar did not release the source code for 0.29, so if anything changed it's something he changed in the 0.30 source. Compiling against the newest version of libogc may also cause issues. This is something I will look into, but posting in big red bold letters is not going to encourage me to make your issue a priority. Only posting constructive feedback, like most of the posters in this thread will do that.

ether2802 said:
the restarting issue is still something on the bugs list and no one seems to care, what up with that..??
huh.gif

I have been unable to replicate this issue in rev 4. Have you tried removing and reinstalling preloader using the IOS249 method, as you may have a corrupt loader.ini, that's causing the issue? I may add a regeneration option for this config file at some point.

QUOTE(mgrimmenator @ Oct 18 2009, 08:49 AM)
The problem is that preloader no longer recognizes the usbdrive as a source for files.

That is correct, as I removed this to fix SDHC support properly. USB 1.1/2.0 support will be implemented in rev 5.

Finally, if I have not responded to any issues directly, don't worry about it, I have read all the feedback in this thread and appreciate all your constructive posts. These posts are all taken on board and considered as the development cycle progresses.

/phpgeek

Just knowing that your looking into all of this and there is going to be changes in future releases is good enough for me. Thanks for your dedication. I know it can sound like we are bashing you guys sometimes in our impatience to get what we want so fast. We just have to be patient and wait for you guys to do what you do. Keep up the great work! Can't wait for rev5 and so on.

laurozza

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
lightyear said:
DOL loading is working for me....did no one hear me about that? I even posted my youtube video proving that it works!! All I did was copy the dol I wanted to load from my apps folder so it's got a twin in both the root folder & the apps folder. In my case, it was USB loader GX's boot.dol (I left it boot.dol....don't know if that matters) Then I installed the app with preloader, selected to autoboot installed dol, and when I restart USB loader GX opens up...every time!! If I hit the home button (even while playing a game) and select system menu, it returns to USB loader GX...it literally becomes the system menu.

I still have full access to HBC, disk loading, USB loading, navigating the SD card, USB loader options, etc, etc, etc....the only way to get to the Wii system menu now is for me to change autoboot back to system menu. Even if I click on system menu in preloader it loads USB loader as long as it's set to autoboot the file.
This is exactly my same problem http://gbatemp.net/index.php?s=&showto...t&p=2336576

lightyear

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
laurozza said:
lightyear said:

This is exactly my same problem http://gbatemp.net/index.php?s=&showto...t&p=2336576
What problem??? I'm happy about being able to autoboot USB GX
tongue.gif

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
phpgeek said:
ether2802 said:
huh.gif

/phpgeek

Thanks for answering Mr. phpgeek, I'll uninstall and then install back again r4 to see if that fixes the problem, just to be sure we are talking about the same issue:

the Wii restart like if you had just turned ON the console everytime you exit a channel, instead of just resets it.

and what does it means:
reinstalling preloader using the IOS249 method
...??
huh.gif

phpgeek

OP
Trophies
XP
Country

Terrus

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Got a quick question, sorry if it has been asked before.

Today I visited a friend of mine and we softmodded his Wii (new V4.0E), we basically followed this guide: http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dfwvk5sg_60chp4jqf6#

(Basically we did the steps 1. and 2. but updated PreLoader because we used the newest HBC Version and wanted to be able to access it from PreLoader for Brick protection)

1. Installed HBC via Bannerbomb
2. Installed Bootmii as IOS (no boot2 available)
frown.gif

3. Installed Trucha Bug and cIOSRev14
4. Installed Preloader, we tried to install 0.30 directly but had to install 0.29 first (as stated in the first post this version is only capable of updating? I'm new to this so bear with me please
smile.gif
)
5. We tried to DOP-IOS the IOSes 60, 36 and 21 afterwards, but then the system menu was gone (ES_Diverfiy failed message and bootup straight to PreLoader, so PreLoader saved our asses)

Now the tutorial above states to reinstall PreLoader if this happens, we tried that but without luck. So we had to change the system menu IOS to 249 (from 60) to get it working again, but now system settings crash the Wii.

Is this due to a missing install step in this version? If so, will it come in a future release? Because if this is the case we won't touch the system until a new version of PreLoader with the necessary functions comes out, otherwise we consider using a created NAND Backup.
unsure.gif

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
phpgeek said:
ether2802 said:
and what does it means:
...??
huh.gif

It means hold down b when you install/uninstall, see first post.

/phpgeek

Didn't worked, same problem, I held it down all the way after I pressed "LOAD" the app, till the installer kicked me back to the HBC, and nothing seemed different when I tryed holding "B" down and when I didn't, is that OK..?? I mean does anything extra needs to happen if you hold "B" down...??
huh.gif

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lightyear said:
D34DL1N3R said:

You're not understanding. No one is saying the program dol doesn't work. We're saying the forwarder dol doesn't work.

lightyear

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Code:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3U197C2E

This is the forwarder .dol that I've been using...all the files needed for USB loader are in ere except config
wink.gif

Just extract to the root SD folder.

Install boot.dol on the root with preloader, then set 'installed file' to autoboot. My wii autoboots the installed .dol file for me every time
smile.gif
The video I posted proves this.

razorback78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ether2802 said:
phpgeek said:
ether2802 said:
and what does it means:
...??
huh.gif

/phpgeek

Didn't worked, same problem, I held it down all the way after I pressed "LOAD" the app, till the installer kicked me back to the HBC, and nothing seemed different when I tryed holding "B" down and when I didn't, is that OK..?? I mean does anything extra needs to happen if you hold "B" down...??
huh.gif
i have installed this preloader using 249 as per phpgeek told in the instructions. when the preloader installer is already booted up (all the blah, blah's and warning stuff on the screen), that's the time i hold the b button then press the + button to install...
smile.gif

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lightyear said:
Code:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3U197C2E

This is the forwarder .dol that I've been using...all the files needed for USB loader are in ere except config
wink.gif

Just extract to the root SD folder.

Install boot.dol on the root with preloader, then set 'installed file' to autoboot. My wii autoboots the installed .dol file for me every time
smile.gif
The video I posted proves this.

I'm sorry to tell you that the boot.dol file in the root of your package is not a forwarder.
It's the exact same program dol that you have in the apps/usbloader_gx folder.

If you use an actual forwarder I'm sure you'll see that it doesn't work.

lightyear

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, then so be it....it still autoboots the .dol....so what's the difference if it's a forwarder or the full app? Who cares? All I know is I've got USB GX autobooting & with that I can make my own custom themes & convert music to .ogg & play it in there as well...now I'm just waiting for the coders to release a shuffle music feature so I can listen to my whole music collection from the SD card without having to select one song @ a time.
tongue.gif

My point is this: who cares what .dol it loads....it still loads just like it should
tongue.gif
This is proof enough in my eyes to say it's not an issue with preloader, but rather the other .dol files you're all loading.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lightyear said:
Ok, then so be it....it still autoboots the .dol....so what's the difference if it's a forwarder or the full app? Who cares? All I know is I've got USB GX autobooting & with that I can make my own custom themes & convert music to .ogg & play it in there as well...now I'm just waiting for the coders to release a shuffle music feature so I can listen to my whole music collection from the SD card without having to select one song @ a time.
tongue.gif

My point is this: who cares what .dol it loads....the point is, it loads just like it should
tongue.gif
This is proof enough in my eyes to say it's not an issue with preloader, but rather the other .dol files you're all loading.

It is most definitely a preloader issue and has been known for quite some time... If you've noticed, the forwarder dol loads fine from HBC and via the forwarder channel. This is proof enough in my eyes (and those of the coders) that preloader is currently not capable of loading all dols. It has to do with entrypoints and crucial memory being overwritten.

You're welcome to continue using your current boot.dol file to AUTOBOOT as long as you're fine with reinstalling it in preloader every single time you want to update to a new revision of the app.

There will not be a shuffle music option anytime soon. The average person is inside the loader for about 10 seconds at a time so it would be pointless to implement such a feature. The coders are currently in bugfix mode so don't expect many new features (other than the possibility of improved homebrew and channel loading) for a while.

lightyear

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, yeah....you are right there. The other day when v799 came out I had to copy a new .dol to the root folder...but this is just minor to me. A simple 200k file copy is the least of my worries if I've got everything else loading properly. I can load from disk & USB region-free, 100% of the time, I can create my own custom themes from scratch so that the whole loader looks like I want it to, I can string together 5-6 songs & play them as one file in background music, and I still have 100% full access to my SD card & HBC....I mean let's face it....this completely changes Wii homebrew. We don't have to stare at Nintendo's ugly-ass system any anymore....nor do we even have to use it!!! You can load all your games up without having to even touch Nintendo's installed first-party software....that in itself is absolutely a game-changer if you ask me
smile.gif
And I'm happy with it where it is. I just can't see why everyone is complaining about something so small as having to use full wads, rather than being able to use forwarders for everything....It's not like HBC isn't accessible through USB GX if you really need it.

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
razorback78 said:
ether2802 said:
phpgeek said:
ether2802 said:
and what does it means:
...??
huh.gif

/phpgeek

huh.gif
i have installed this preloader using 249 as per phpgeek told in the instructions. when the preloader installer is already booted up (all the blah, blah's and warning stuff on the screen), that's the time i hold the b button then press the + button to install...
smile.gif

OK I did that too and still same issue, would the problem be because I'm on 4.1...??
huh.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: