PPSSPP Switch Beta Release

1.jpg

PPSSPP/Libretro Switch Public Beta by m4xw
==========================================

After a lot of work, I am very happy to share this with all of you.
Audio & Video support works, many core options cause Issues tho.

It is mandatory to "Close Content" after changing any Core option and restarting RetroArch, else it will potentially crash, don't close the RetroArch menu!

Special thanks to hrydgard for everything he has done for the PPSSPP Project.
If you want to support his work, consider buying PPSSPP Gold https://central.ppsspp.org/buygold even if you don't use it!

I will PR it once the libretro port is finished, also implemented half of what's needed for a Standalone port ;)
Source is on my Github, but it's highly WIP and needs a custom RA and a custom ffmpeg, so you should just wait if you want to build it yourself ;)

Libretro Docs (important informations for this core):
https://docs.libretro.com/library/ppsspp/
Official Game Compatibility Tracker (your mileage might vary): https://report.ppsspp.org/games

GitHub (WIP Switch): https://github.com/m4xw/ppsspp/
GitHub (Official): https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp

Installation Instructions

Drag & Drop the "retroarch" folder to the root of your SD, overwriting any file (it will not touch any options).
Assets are bundled, so you don't have to bother with that.

Notes

If you are using ANY method of loading RetroArch OTHER than Atmosphere's title redirection feature, DO NOT report issues that you encounter.
These issues can skew testing and could very well be caused by loading through an unsupported method.

Video slowdowns are related to missing hardware accelerated decoding (nvdec), it's not a libretro/PPSSPP Issue.
FMV cut-scenes will be fine.

Updates

Added JIT and JIT Vertex Decoder Support
- When loading Savestates with JIT, make sure to instantly open the RetroArch Menu again and wait for it to complete loading
- This is a libretro specific bug (not switch port related) and will be fixed later on

-Added Vertex JIT Core option (turning it off fixes some games currently)
-Added Disable slow Framebuffer effects Core option (Speedhack)
-Increased Savestate Chunk size to 4MB (speeds up savestate load, ~2sec)
-Band-Aid for Savestate load + Save (no more opening menu for them to work)
-Renamed "IR JIT" to "IR Interpreter"
-Removed Threaded IO Core option (non-functional)
-Removed Non-Buffered Rendering Core option (non-functional)
-General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience.

Download Link: <Please use the RetroArch Core updater>

Last edited by m4xw,

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I'm having some issues running Patapon. Pretty sure it was working just fine some time ago.
Before updating PPSSPP, audio didn't work. After updating PPSSPP, the software crashes right after the Pyramid screen.
I've tried debugging this issue as much as I could, so I've updated Atmosphere and the Switch firmware to the latest available. The only sysmodules I'm running are Fizeau and sys-clk (made sure this isn't the problem by disabling it before running PPSSPP)
I'm really at a loss here… gonna try to clean-install PPSSPP once more, and also try version 1.9 since ppsspp.org lets you download that one as well.

No dice. Version 1.9 doesn't even run
Well, 1.9 doesn't work cause you are probably on 12.+ fw. You can try RA core or lakka and see if it works better for you there.

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
let's say the most demanding game God of War whats the highest any idea?
You can only go further than 2x with less demanding games. For most demanding games x2 def is the max res, god of war struggles to run on HOS ppsspp, its only fullspeed with 30fps cheat, but its fully playable on lakka ppsspp tho cause of vulkan support and other stuff.

Last edited by bad361,
Reactions: Mike_77712

DS92

Trophies
XP
Country
Georgia
You can only go further than 2x with less demanding games. For most demanding games x2 def is the max res, god of war struggles to run on HOS ppsspp, its only fullspeed with 30fps cheat, but its fully playable on lakka ppsspp tho cause of vulkan support and other stuff.
maybe HOS PPSSPP on Switch will get Vulkain support one day.

notthesame

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Patapon still not working on Atmosphere 1.2.6 and Firmware 13.2.0
Using PPSSPP Standalone, as most suggest (the standalone 1.9.3+ from homepage seems to be last updated 2-3 years ago, same for the git page)
Latest sig patches installed. Starting the correct way (holding R first).
The game starts, but crashes right after the pyramid logo. Can anyone confirm that this combination is actually working? Alternatively I tried to use the RetroArch Core that was posted here, no luck either. What is currently the best way to run PSP emulation on Athmosphere? Thanks!

Last edited by notthesame,

Instandhaltung

I feel it. I feel the cosmos!
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Patapon still not working on Atmosphere 1.2.6 and Firmware 13.2.0
Using PPSSPP Standalone, as most suggest (the standalone 1.9.3+ from homepage seems to be last updated 2-3 years ago, same for the git page)
Latest sig patches installed. Starting the correct way (holding R first).
The game starts, but crashes right after the pyramid logo. Can anyone confirm that this combination is actually working? Alternatively I tried to use the RetroArch Core that was posted here, no luck either. What is currently the best way to run PSP emulation on Athmosphere? Thanks!
PPSSPP 1.10.3 GL, Atmosphere 1.2.4 and FW 13.1.0. I never had a problem with Patapon.
There's probably something wrong on your side.

Edit: Link to this PPSSPP version seems to be here, third post: https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-switch-ppsspp-1-10-3.576101/

Attachments

• 16479619910194067658268145280650.jpg
    16479619910194067658268145280650.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 86
Last edited by Instandhaltung,

notthesame

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
PPSSPP 1.10.3 GL, Atmosphere 1.2.4 and FW 13.1.0. I never had a problem with Patapon.
There's probably something wrong on your side.

Edit: Link to this PPSSPP version seems to be here, third post: hxxps://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-switch-ppsspp-1-10-3.576101/
It should be back on the bot soon..

Thank you for the link to the newer PPSSPP version 1.10.3. Patapon is now working on Atmosphere 1.2.6 and Firmware 13.2.0

Ah, the bot will fix the links to the latest versions, I guess. Thank you, m4xw, for all your hard work on the Switch Version of PPSSPP!

Now, I'm looking forward to show off a friend that Patapon on the Switch is a reality :)

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
hi, does this play tactics ogre full speed or am i better off using vita version?
how do we install this? any video guide?

FanNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone else get a black screen immediately after opening ppsspp with atmosphere title redirection? I'm on the latest standalone version from this link (latest standalone to my knowledge I should say) https://m4xw.net/nextcloud/index.php/s/6TT4bHiWRDedSFi
View attachment 371470

Does anyone else get a black screen immediately after opening ppsspp with atmosphere title redirection? I'm on the latest standalone version from this link (latest standalone to my knowledge I should say) https://m4xw.net/nextcloud/index.php/s/6TT4bHiWRDedSFi
View attachment 371470
dont know what u did but all you need replace the same file between old and new over the old file. did you use override R on game title before entering. not using album

cai_miao

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Fresh rebase from today https://m4xw.net/nextcloud/index.php/s/nPGgziiQmB6YH4L
Also implemented keyboard (ingame & text fields) and resolved a bunch of other issues.
If things go well i make a proper release bundle tomorrow & throw it on the ppsspp website
Thank you for all your hard work !!!

But I still want to ask,
it is possible to set GUI render resolusion at 1280x720?
Making a dedicated build including this feature is also okay.

720p is definately great for those user (incl. me ) who wants best pixel-to-pixel experience under Handheld mode / Switch Lite.
Whether possible or not, please let me know if you have any interest or idea about it.

If you need me join your pateron to do this, I'm also happy to subscribe.
If you think it's not worth implementing this, just let me know.
I'm fine as you are the main contributor. I can ask but I can't really force you.

Just let me know, if you are willing to or not. Greatly thank you!

(I've been asking this for around 2 years, but heard nothing about it.)

Best regards.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My first color TV was like 1984 or something lol