Homebrew PPSSPP discussion and testing thread

sieroi

Trophies
XP
Country
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (the first game) runs pretty well. There are issues at area transitions (massive slowdown, the transition fade effect pulling an image that hasn't been onscreen for a few seconds), but beside that, it seems completely playable.

Spends most of the time at 100% emulation speed, but drops to ~15-20FPS in busy areas like Grancel. No music slowdown, but still completely fine with some frameskipping. You can even turn it up to 2x internal resolution without significant issues. It's a pleasure to play.

Lemmings works quite well, too- full speed, with rendering issues in most levels' backgrounds.

Wipeout Pulse runs at ~40% emulation speed, with minimal graphical glitches.

The forwarder app linked in the first post works fine, but there doesn't seem to be any way of quitting the program gracefully from its Exit button - it fades to a blue screen, then just restarts the app. You have to tap the home button between app reloads to bring up the system Home menu.

Last edited by sieroi,

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Listen buddy, there's no reason to curse me out.

I didn't get to page 19 yet. What I did do (or didn't), was curse you out. I had hoped you'd find the humor with the (damn) parenthesis (at the same
time; tomato, potato.

I'll put money down you're too weeb'd up? Get Murrica'd.

I guess this lesson is: clearly describe your problem; since you didn't say what your problem was, other than, "As far as I can tell, that feature doesn't work at all. I've tried on Linux and Android a couple months ago, and Wii U recently. Never worked.", I had to take it as, "Let us start at the beginning, because I know nothing." You didn't even mention, "I've tried running Wii U in conjunction with Android, Linux, Mac; I've loaded the games on the server (Mac, etc,.) and ran the search on Wii U after I loaded ROMs in the server for it to appear in my "Recent"--even restarted my (server) and Wii U."

For
iu
(see what I did there.....no...okay
iu
) reference, I totally did not curse you out. You don't even know how bad it gets.

On the upside, people are willing to help, but meet others halfway; help us help you.

-------
And now I'm on page 19
Firmware: 5.5.1
SD type and Class: shit, trust me, but it works.
Homebrew launcher version: not recent--before 5.52 was out, around the release of BotW
Emulator version: Newest (no number) as of 6-8-18
Game: Breath of Fire III, Final Fantasy II
Non default settings: N/A N/A
Issues observed: Slight visual hiccups Noticeable slowdowns when you get into Mode7(?) pan-out

Last edited by H1B1Esquire,

Deleted member 424658

Annoying Weaboo Girl
Trophies
Website
www.reddit.com
XP
Country
United States
I guess this lesson is: clearly describe your problem; since you didn't say what your problem was, other than, "As far as I can tell, that feature doesn't work at all. I've tried on Linux and Android a couple months ago, and Wii U recently. Never worked.", I had to take it as, "Let us start at the beginning, because I know nothing." You didn't even mention, "I've tried running Wii U in conjunction with Android, Linux, Mac; I've loaded the games on the server (Mac, etc,.) and ran the search on Wii U after I loaded ROMs in the server for it to appear in my "Recent"--even restarted my (server) and Wii U."
Well firstly, I don't have a Mac. Secondly, on everything I tried it gets to the ROM selection menu then crashes upon loading a ROM.
It's not even anything worth me trying to figure out anyway, as the computer that has all my PSP ROMs can barely emulate Corpse Party.

H1B1Esquire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well firstly, I don't have a Mac. Secondly, on everything I tried it gets to the ROM selection menu then crashes upon loading a ROM.
It's not even anything worth me trying to figure out anyway, as the computer that has all my PSP ROMs can barely emulate Corpse Party.

I'm as interested in solving your problem as you are at this point.

H1B1Esquire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What, the ppsspp emulator or @H1B1Esquire s anus pounder?

Well, way to spoil the surprise of my McRib. Now I'll have to bring McNuggies back.

And just to keep us on topic,

In my trial of Final Fantasy Tactics, I noticed some slowdown during the prelude to battle scene; no speedups, but, man, that is one loooooong wait--maybe in-game settings for text could help...a little.

Reactions: wicksand420

sp3off

GBATemp's least active boy
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Firmware: 5.5.2
SD type and Class: Samsung Class-10 microSD.
Homebrew launcher version: 2.1 (forwarder)
Emulator version: Next Build (no build version)
Game: Blokus Portable - Steambot Championship (Europe)
Issues observed: Game crashes when trying Online Rooms.

Last edited by sp3off,

El 15

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well, way to spoil the surprise of my McRib. Now I'll have to bring McNuggies back.

And just to keep us on topic,

In my trial of Final Fantasy Tactics, I noticed some slowdown during the prelude to battle scene; no speedups, but, man, that is one loooooong wait--maybe in-game settings for text could help...a little.

about FFT: I noticed that but ... with frameskip = 2 it is not as long as you say, you should try.

Reactions: H1B1Esquire

Netux

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Firmware: 5.5.1 (CBHC)
SD type and Class: SanDisc Ultra 32GB UHC-I class 10
Homebrew launcher version: 2.1 by Dimok (channel version)
Emulator version: latest (no new version number, after 1.5.4-998-g08f26439c)
Game: Patapon (USA)
Non default settings:
- Show FPS counter: FPS
Issues observed: Unplayable. Gameplay is pretty slow (~4fps), so taping to the beat is impossible or it can even crash.
Specifically, this happens whenever the sky turns light blue.

Tested with all graphics settings to their lowest setting:
No changes, even with frameskip.
If we are documenting games might as well add Homebrew ones...

Game: [Homebrew] Cave Story
Non default settings:
- Show FPS counter: FPS
Issues observed: Almost unnoticeable V-Sync issues, nothing to worry about!

Last edited by Netux,

y0shim@ri0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Firmware: 5.5.1 CBHC
SD type and Class: SanDisc Extreme u3 c10 32GB
Homebrew launcher version: 2.1 channel
Emulator version: latest
Game: Need for speed underground rivals
Non default settings: FPS Shown and internal speed
Issues observed: Basically nothing renders, makes it impossible to race. literally the only 2 things that render is text and the light effects. Also, the FPS tanks when in a race.

Last edited by y0shim@ri0,

Nimrod-002

Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
Firmware: 5.5.2
SD type and Class:
16GB class 10
Homebrew launcher version:
Emulator version:
fifth
Game:
Wizorb
Non default settings:
(fast) options are checked
Issues observed:
Screen tearing and occasional slowdown, playable.

H1B1Esquire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just need to know how many columns, and their name/purpose, if you want colors, etc.

Just my train fare:
Preliminary information: does SD card class 10 vs others (UFS 2.0, yada-yada) have an effect on the speed (yeah, yeah) of games, (basically, what I'm getting at is, does it matter--I used a class 4, 2GB SD for my testing and it preforms well; I could use a UFS 2.0, yada-yada, but I want to try with a lower speed, just because).

Primary: Alphabetical listing of games, (guess it could start with titles volunteers have in their library--and any others could start A-B-C, etc,.) probably just lift the simple text from Gfaqs for titles, maybe get a few volunteers from different FW's, cross-test the initial findings (i.e., Dude A and Dude B run a set of games on FW 5.5.1, report their findings, then, test each others data; Bro A and Bro B do the same cross-testing for the same set of games on FW 5.5.2.

Secondary information: Wii U FW--probably not an issue. If it can be found as a non-issue, compatibility testing would obviously be easier to categorize and yada-yada.

TL;DR: Assemble! a team of volunteers on different FW's and a control test of HBL version and PPSSPP versions for a definitive reasoning on which is the "best" setup for ___ game.

Have an initial requirement for which games have issues VS which games have a "rating" of "playable", without "trickery" and divide that between a different group of people for further testing (card speed, FW, loader version, then add in "trickery".

I don't know; I've got life problems going on and other shit distracting me--this is 79% of the bare-bones.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
wiiu firmware shouldn't matter (for 5.5.1 or 5.5.2 at least, older firmware should be updated)
SD card class and cluster size, might have an impact on read speed, I don't know. and it's SD only? no USB supported?
I suppose the most important information is the emulator version, and if the game+region works with it or not. the SD class could be told in the comment column.

Reactions: H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suppose the most important information is the emulator version

Maybe for a control test, we should asses what individuals have (SD, ROMs, PPSSPP version) and start with who, how many of us, class 4 VS class 10 SD cards in 32KB, ROMs , etc,.

I can volunteer on 5.5.1 with a class 4, as well as UFS, both 32KB. PPSSPP is the non-numbered version.

I mostly have (A,J,S) RPGs, probably 9 -12 titles. Will list later, but definitely list....besides...we need to Assemble! before we get too far ahead--this planing can reduce the workload, greatly.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: Chuck your brain out the window, it's useless, use your head instead