Homebrew RELEASE pPlay: switch video player

hallo23

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ummmmm, this app is really good, but, it crashes my switch after watching a video or 2......
Yes, the same problem here. Works great a couple times, then crash.

But it`s a great app. Hope there is a update soon.

Does this also happens if you do this?
You should really use an NSP HBL (HomeBrew Loader) to unleash all switch memory to launch pPlay, else you'll have some memory problem/crash: https://gbatemp.net/threads/homebrew-menu-loader-legal-nsp.518433/
Alternatively if you are using Atmosphere, you can press (R) when launching a game, this will load the HBL (HomeBrew Loader) with all memory unlocked.

jscjml

Monster Hunter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ummmmm, this app is really good, but, it crashes my switch after watching a video or 2......

Yes, the same problem here. Works great a couple times, then crash.

But it`s a great app. Hope there is a update soon.

I dont know if this is still being supported, when I was using it I was having major problems (subtitles always bugging out within a video or 2) but if you dig back like 2 months apparently VLC may be in development for the switch. Which will probably make all of these unfinished video players obsolete anyways.

edit: btw I was using a .nsp for homebrew launcher like everybody says. Still the same problems.

Last edited by jscjml,
Reactions: nWo

BlackWolfNC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont know if this is still being supported, when I was using it I was having major problems (subtitles always bugging out within a video or 2) but if you dig back like 2 months apparently VLC may be in development for the switch. Which will probably make all of these unfinished video players obsolete anyways.

edit: btw I was using a .nsp for homebrew launcher like everybody says. Still the same problems.
what do you mean by VLC?

hallo23

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So I guess it's safe to say that this guy just developed this player for the Homebrew contest to grab the money.
Since there are no updates since the contest. :)

Really hope VLC will make a decent player for the switch soon.
Even though it's strange that we still have no good multimedia player for a fucking portable tablet console.
Like you would thing that something like this would make sense to develop the most :^)

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I guess it's safe to say that this guy just developed this player for the Homebrew contest to grab the money.
This guy always has many projects on the go, he's one of the largest producers of Switch homebrew by a long way, and he can't update everything at once. Please don't be a dick to him and put him off the Switch scene.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Really hope VLC will make a decent player for the switch soon.
Even though it's strange that we still have no good multimedia player for a fucking portable tablet console.
Like you would thing that something like this would make sense to develop the most :^)
Umm no, that's not anywhere near "safe to say".
He has delivered updates for his other great apps (ScummVM, pFBA and pSNES) even months later.
Just give him a little time off for his private life. He's not our slave.

Edit 1: :ninja: by hippy dave

Edit 2: Even if he did it just for the contest, so what? That's what it was there for in the first place ... to "spawn" some nice new homebrew apps and pPlay, although being far from perfect, works pretty well for me and was one of the apps I was wishing for since the very beginning of the Switch scene.

Last edited by lordelan,

PatrickD85

Trophies
Website
www.nintendoreporters.com
XP
Country
Netherlands

Assumptions you should not take really.
cpasjuste has done a lot for the Nintendo Switch scene with PPlay, PFBA PSNES and he has done more ... just take a look here; https://github.com/Cpasjuste for example.

People always assume that everyone has all the free time in the world to work on things they do not really profit from. Be appreciative of what you get. Dont be an ass to people who provide you with something you can use for free.

DollyWhipDoll

Royalty & Unbothered. LMFAO!!! ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Since there are no updates since the contest.

50 posts in almost a decade says all there is to say about you. I can imagine they're mostly demands and complaints. pPlay works well along with pSNES, pFBA, OpenBOR, and many other homebrews Cpasjuste has spent his, valuable, free time gifting the community.

Like you would thing that something like this would make sense to develop the most

We've been and will continue to wait on you, specifically, to bring the bestest, incrediblest, and most amazingest video/media player to Switch and it better be Labo VR compatible.

DollyWhipDoll

Royalty & Unbothered. LMFAO!!! ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now I want that!

If you have interest in Google Cardboard
{i recommend Bobo VR Z4...around $20 or so USD}, you can get an app and have a giant theater on your face, lol. I like this as far as a free version goes https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.couchgames.apps.cardboardcinema&hl=en_US. And, FPSE is a PS1 emulator that isn't VR, but you can use it in a headset and have a humongous, theater size screen to play on. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.emulator.fpse&hl=en_US Cheap and worth it. Not sure about any iOS stuff.

AngelDrop

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wow people can be so disrespectful.
I just want to say that I consider myself pretty good tech wise, I wouldn't know the first thing about developing for the switch.
Trying things like these players I just try to keep an open mind and never expect much.
What CPASJUSTE managed to do here was brilliant work. The functionality is incredible especially compared to any alternatives.
Just wanted to say you are extraordinarily appreciated and the community needs people like you to develop.
Thank you for all the hours you've put into projects.
Long may it continue.
All the best

cpasjuste

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello guys!

First, thanks for your support in the previous messages :)

Else, an update for pPlay is soon to be released, and it's a major one :) I think most of the problems should be fixed. It now correctly handle multi-threading (major speed improvement), correctly handle subtitles (but also external subtitles!), no more crashes (it seems), fast and usuable http streaming, and many more improvements. I didn't find a media which doesn't play fine yet, well except 4k videos... (They still play thought, but not at a usable rate..)

There's no visual change, but you'll now be able to really enjoy any media on your swtich! Can't wait :)

Last edited by cpasjuste,

JJTapia19

I fight for my friends.
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Hello guys!

First, thanks for your support in the previous messages :)

Else, an update for pPlay is soon to be released, and it's a major one :) I think most of the problems should be fixed. It now correctly handle multi-threading (major speed improvement), correctly handle subtitles (but also external subtitles!), no more crashes (it seems), and many more improvements. There's no visual change, but you'll now be able to really enjoy any media on your swtich! Can't wait :)
Can't wait! Could you implement the jit patches m4wx created for intensive emulators like mupen64. It increases performance a lot without the need of overclocking.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: