RELEASE pPlay: switch video player

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by cpasjuste, Dec 14, 2018.

1. CampofMusic

CampofMusic Member

Newcomer
    Jun 7, 2018
    Israel
    please god custom subtitles! :(

2. cpasjuste
    OP

cpasjuste GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 27, 2015
    France
    Hi,
    Adding "custom" subtitles is a lot of work. I'm currently focusing on minor changes/bugs/improvements as my time is limited. But it will come, in the future..

3. cpasjuste
    OP

Aug 27, 2015
    France
    Ty_, Eternam, Dutt and 13 others like this.
  4. SethPDA

SethPDA Member

Newcomer
    Oct 13, 2018
    Hungary
    I use USB Webserver from here: http://www.usbwebserver.net/downloads.html
    Download it, start it, and that's all basically. You can also set a custom folder for it to work in the settings. You just need to config your pplay.cfg to your PC IP address and it works.
    Although, for me there is a bug which prevents me to open folders on my switch in pplay, so I place every video I download into one single folder and it works without any problems.
    Hope I could help.

PS.: I'm on latest Win10 Insider Preview

Last edited by SethPDA, Jan 18, 2019
  5. cpasjuste
    OP

Aug 27, 2015
    France
    Thanks, im sure I'll easily fix this (maybe tomorrow).

peteruk likes this.
  6. SethPDA

SethPDA Member

Newcomer
    Oct 13, 2018
    Hungary
    Wow, Thank you very much! I didn't even realize you, the creator of the app messaged me. XD I just wanted to help a fellow user, because I was struggling with this web server thing myself a few days back.
    On the issue:
    pPlay lists folders in the directory, but when I press on one of them, it just jumps back to the first item of the list without opening the folder. Streaming works great, but it takes a good 1-2 minutes to even start a my mkv videos. (Not streaming problem, the app basically freezes for those 1-2 minutes, but after that, it works.)
    Thanks for the fast response!

7. cpasjuste
    OP

Aug 27, 2015
    France
    Did you try with low buffering option and latest pPlay? For the folder problem, its probably just because this web server use a different "mechanism", I'll fix that asap.

8. cpasjuste
    OP

Aug 27, 2015
    France
    Just so you guys know, the crash when launching pPlay twice without exiting the homebrew loader isn't fixed yet, but to me its a low priority bug (and hard to find/fix).

wicksand420 likes this.
  9. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    Might be memory that gets allocated but not free'd.

10. SethPDA

SethPDA Member

Newcomer
    Oct 13, 2018
    Hungary
    I didn't try that yet. I'm going to test that and report back.

11. cpasjuste
    OP

Aug 27, 2015
    France
    I'm not sure of that, it's not as simple :) The problem comes from my pthread port (for threaded ffmpeg) which is... well, a lot of work/hooks/hacks. pthread is a very big thing to implement, i've already spent, I don't really know, but maybe 50 hours just on that since a few months. I did spent a few hours the past days to locate the problem without success, so for now I guess it does not worth it as the problem is "minor" to me. I'll go back to it later.

Last edited by cpasjuste, Jan 18, 2019
  12. enderer

enderer Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 19, 2015
    United States
    thank you for rmvb support. my dragonball episodes play perfectly!

does this release have the auto-play next video function?

13. icefox

icefox Member

Newcomer
    Jun 16, 2018
    United States
    I remember your psnes and pfba had the same bug. it must be deeper than the project itself.

a minor bug on v1.5. If I use the full memory mode (R+app) to launch hbmenu and pplay, play something, pause it, press menu to get back to the home screen, then goes back into the opened app (hbmenu), the video automatically resumes playing even if the button remains the triangle (play) button.

Also, I appreciate the rmvb support. I still have some old rm videos. they are not directly recognized, but after changing rm to rmvb they play just fine. does this mean there is also rm support? maybe you can include rm into the recognized extensions.

Last edited by icefox, Jan 19, 2019
  14. cpasjuste
    OP

Aug 27, 2015
    France
    psnes and pfba where another bug (but same result yes). Else thanks for the report, i'll fix that.

15. KnightRiderX420

KnightRiderX420 Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2018
    United States
    trying to setup my home server nas to the switch and having difficulties. i have it setup as a media server but when i use th ip of 10.0.0.149 it gives me an error saying illegal format i also have plex installed on my local pc with ip of 127.0.0.1 that fails to i am confused i need a more detailed tutorial please or some help. i also added the port number after the ip that failed too.i have both local pc files and files on the nas as well they are all sorted by name and stuff like that in folders. also i instaleed universal mediac server that failed too. i read that the files cant be in folders is that true?.. if so addding home nas capabilities would be ideal. thanks. :)

16. SethPDA

SethPDA Member

Newcomer
    Oct 13, 2018
    Hungary
    If you're on windows, just download USB Web Server. Copy all video files you need into it's "root" directory (or modify the default directory), Run it, and then just insert your PC-s ip adress in the pplay config.
    I tried with Universal Media Server as well but it's stated that it needs a web server with directory listing. Media servers are not web servers, they act differently afaik, hence it does not work like that.

lordelan likes this.
  17. ploggy

ploggy WAKA! WAKA!

Aug 29, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Congrats on the win @cpasjuste mate, well deserved. :)

18. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    @cpasjuste did you ever manage to have a look at my suggestion about a full screen force.

Last edited by Reecey, Jan 22, 2019
    cirojr82 likes this.
  19. jscjml

jscjml Monster Hunter

Jan 4, 2015
    United States
    Las Vegas
    Better than watching videos on my iphone ill tell ya that lol. Thanks for the app brother.

If not planned for already, could we get touchscreen support? Could add a nice touch to the app. Seems to do the job well enough as is though so thanks again!
    Audio seems to cut out for awhile after skipping to different parts of the video, I have set the buffer to Very High and CPU Boost is Enabled, also running an NSP of homebrew launcher for the extra memory. Not too big a problem as it seems to just fix itself quickly.

edit: Having trouble running .mkv files, more precisely the subtitles seem to glitch out constantly, closing and restarting the app seems to fix it but it ends up happening again. Cannot get through a ~20min video without atleast 3 restarts. Hopefully this may be addressed, looking forward to it! :)
    edit2: Have been using it more and more, some videos work better than others. Have gone through episodes without subtitles glitching out!

Last edited by jscjml, Jan 30, 2019
  20. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    aren't external subtitles managed by FFMpeg by default? you have to add support yourself?
    I thought on PC it had the option to load external subs if found. but maybe it's managed by other tools I have (like VSFilter)
    well, at least it's already great it supports internal ssa/ass natively :)

congratz on your bounty result :)
    good luck on updating this project.

peteruk likes this.