Switch Homebrew Bounty Month 2: and the winner is...

The GBAtemp Homebrew Bounty is a massive competition that aims to boost the Switch homebrew scene by giving rewards to a selection of the best homebrew projects.
This second month, we reward Switch applications, that is to say, applications that run natively on the Switch. There are 4 categories in total.

The voting process is twofold: the staff gets to vote, and some members can vote too (in separate threads). We only allowed patrons to vote in order to limit possible fraud, and also to reward them for supporting us. We've just counted the votes. And the winners are...

Month 2 - Winners

PRIZE #1: $1,000 (USD) reward
NX-Shell
, by @Joel16

PRIZE #2: $500 (USD) reward
pPlay,
by @cpasjuste

PRIZE #3: $300 (USD) reward
Idn_mitm,
by @spacemeowx2

PRIZE #4: $150 (USD) reward
Goldleaf,
by @XorTroll

PRIZE #5: $55 (USD) reward
Lockpick,
by @shchmue

To the 5 winners: I will be sending you a private message individually in the coming days, stay tuned.

Full ranking

1. NX-shell, 73 points
2. pPlay, 59 points
3. ldn_mitm, 58 points
4. Goldleaf, 49 points
5. Lockpick, 39 points
6. In-Home-Switching, 33 points
7. NXThemes Installer, 14 points
7. VGEdit, 14 points
9. Vapor Spec, 9 points
10. RCMReboot, 7 points
11. Homebrew SD Setup, 5 points
12. SwitchGuide Updater, 0 points
13. Blawar's Tinfoil, 0 points

Please remember that the judges voted not only based on the application itself, but also, for existing applications, whether the application received a significant update for the occasion.

Sponsors

Half of this sum is generously donated by yours truly, GBAtemp!
Thanks to ad revenue and to our Patreon backers, GBAtemp is the biggest donator.
The other half comes from our generous sponsors as listed below.

0.jpg

MOD3DSCARD.COM
Buy flashcard to mod 3DS and Switch | Team Xecuter SX | Sky3ds+ | Stargate 3DS | R4 3DS - mod3dscard

axiogame.png

AXIOGAME.COM
Axiogame | Backup Units, Modchips and more

sxossmall.jpg

And let's not forget Team Xecuter who made a very generous donation too.

Member donations

The bounty isn't only about sponsor companies: you, beloved members of our community (and even guests) can contribute too! If you want to make a donation, simply click the button below to send a payment to our Paypal. Needless to say, 100% of the amount we receive will be transfered to the authors of winning projects.
View attachment 150086
What's next? We will start the 3rd month in the coming days. I hope you've all been working hard on your Switch emulator projects, it's almost time to submit.

blawar

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad to see that goldleaf got a prize !!!!

Really laughing about last place sorry but it's funny to me. (karma is a b...)

To All the other ones congratulations to winners and no winners thanks for making the switch scene so awesome !!!!

I'm laughing more than you, it speaks volumes about gbatemp, more than it does the app :) I entered just to show what a joke of a contest this was. The obvious best app got last, because of politic, and the staff dont like being criticized for their shitty rules.. I am glad NX-Shell won though, that was the second best app.

This wasn't an app contest, it was a high school popularity contest. There were no scoring categories, no clearly defined rules, just arbitrary votes.

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I'm laughing more than you, it speaks volumes about gbatemp, more than it does the app :) I entered just to show what a joke of a contest this was. The obvious best app got last, because of politic, and the staff dont like being criticized for their shitty rules.. I am glad NX-Shell won though, that was the second best app.

This wasn't an app contest, it was a high school popularity contest. There were no scoring categories, no clearly defined rules, just arbitrary votes.
being criticized by people like you makes me proud :D
do go on my friend, proceed on

blawar

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
being criticized by people like you makes me proud :D
do go on my friend, proceed on

I'm glad something about this site could make you proud :)

edit: I'm just teasing, gbatemp gets a bad rep but its not as bad as most people claim it to be.

Last edited by blawar,

Gimzie

professional moron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

How was it objectively the "best" app, though? There were a lot of other well-rounded applications that made the list.

cpasjuste

Trophies
XP
Country
France

The best app? Please stop this.. I can write your tinfoil crap in a week. There's no major difficulty, its basically a ui (which doesn't work well btw). Also, you did probably got some money from executer for it, it wouldn't have been fair to me. I did enter the first contest with something I think was very good and took me a lot of work (libcross2d). I didn't won, but I didn't cry like you.

Else, many thanks for all the people who voted for pPlay! :)
Also, good job @Joel16 !
Edit: thanks to gbatemp too!

Last edited by cpasjuste,

blawar

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The best app? Please stop this.. I can write your tinfoil crap in a week. There's no major difficulty, its basically a ui (which doesn't work well btw). Also, you did probably got some money from executer for it, it wouldn't have been fair to me. I did enter the first contest with something I think was very good and took me a lot of work (libcross2d). I didn't won, but I didn't cry like you.

Else, many thanks for all the people who voted for pPlay! :)
Also, good job @Joel16 !
Edit: thanks to gbatemp too!

I will send you $100 in BTC if you can write the app in a week. pplay's UI is shit, and you think you can beat tinfoil's? lol. you cant even write a good ui for your own apps.

edit: just took a look at libcross2d... you should stick to low creativity stuff like porting ffmpeg :)

Last edited by blawar,

blawar

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How was it objectively the "best" app, though? There were a lot of other well-rounded applications that made the list.

Well, lets create some scoring categories and then compare: user interface, features, usefulness, innovation.

Only two apps submitted had nice polished UI's (NX-Shell and Tinfoil)

The apps with the best (and most) features were NX-Shell, Tinfoil, and Goldleaf.

The apps that are the most useful / be used the most are NX-Shell, Tinfoil, and Goldleaf.

The apps that are the most innovative are Tinfoil, Goldleaf, In-Home-Switching, and NXThemes installer.

No matter which categories you create, Tinfoil would always be in the top 2 as long as you don't add a category for most humble developer :)

Reactions: WiiuGold

Gimzie

professional moron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, lets create some scoring categories and then compare: user interface, features, usefulness, innovation.

Only two apps submitted had nice polished UI's (NX-Shell and Tinfoil)

The apps with the best (and most) features were NX-Shell, Tinfoil, and Goldleaf.

The apps that are the most useful / be used the most are NX-Shell, Tinfoil, and Goldleaf.

The apps that are the most innovative are Tinfoil, Goldleaf, In-Home-Switching, and NXThemes installer.

No matter which categories you create, Tinfoil would always be in the top 2 as long as you don't add a category for most humble developer :)

Useful is subjective, as is "best features". I do feel like it was odd that Tinfoil came in last, but there were numerous other projects that also deserved some recognition.

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
Congrats to the winners! I know my application is one of the two with 0 votes, but given the other submissions, that isn't something I'm even remotely close to being upset about given how good some of the other entries are.

So hat off to the winners, y'all deserve it.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Useful is subjective, as is "best features". I do feel like it was odd that Tinfoil came in last, but there were numerous other projects that also deserved some recognition.
To be perfectly honest - Votes from the judges (staff and patron members) are also subjective in nature. What one person finds useful someone else might find completely useless.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over