tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
elight said:
Use? DS, media play is a plus. what do you mean by this?
Price Range? $20-$40
Slot 1/2? 1
Built in or expandable memory? Expandable.
Special features? Clean interface is a must.
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular I was looking at R4, Acekard 2 seems nice as well.
Other? Must be compatible with the Mac.

What should I buy? I've had a DS lite for a while now but am looking into buying a flashcart for the first time.
R4 is the worst card you could buy, so go for the acekard
it has the good functions (although it misses the advanced functions of the more expensive carts, like real time save) and a nice GUI
optionallly you can get AKAIO (acekard all in one), which is a custom firmware with more functions
check this too: http://www.acekard.com/distributors.php

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
EvanUnisil said:
I've got an old M3 Perfect Lite slot-2 device but lost my old passcard. Is it Ok if I just get an Acekard2 or something and play my games out of that and if I want to play from the Slot-2 M3 will that be possible too? Or do I have to get an M3 Real Perfect as a slot-1 device to get to my slot-2 device?

(I understand that I'll be able to run games from my slot-1 but in case I want to play a GBA game or something from my slot-2 I'd like that to be possible).

Is there anywhere where I can get a cheap passcard or something? Apart from flashing my NDSLite is there any way I can access the slot-2 device without needing to buy another flashcart?

Thanks!
Umm... I am not sure... I know the SuperCard has a feature that allows it to be used as a Passcard... But not sure. xP Sorry.

bolmedias said:
I am very pleased to say that I purchased an AceKard 2.1 and a 2GB card, and they arrived today! For the sake of expenses, I had to buy from another website, and delivery took 2 weeks, but they're here now, they work, and I'm very happy! I'm using AKAIO, as recommended.
Good job~! Hope you have fun with your AceKard.

QUOTE(elight @ Apr 2 2009, 02:48 PM)
Use? DS, media play is a plus.
Price Range? $20-$40
Slot 1/2? 1
Built in or expandable memory? Expandable.
Special features? Clean interface is a must.
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular I was looking at R4, Acekard 2 seems nice as well.
Other? Must be compatible with the Mac.

What should I buy? I've had a DS lite for a while now but am looking into buying a flashcart for the first time.
I am not sure if any flashcarts are compatible with the mac xD

All you need are the files. Then transfer the files onto the Micro SD Card. AceKard 2 should work well for you. It is better than the R4 and the R4 is obsolete. So none is producing it anymore. Every other one is fake...

G2K

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OK, this is my final decision on the flashcart to get. I'm getting the DSi when it comes out here this Sunday. The EZFlash Vi has an updateable kernel, so any thing that blocks the current patch could be ignored if a new exploit is found. Yet everyone seems to be going with the Acekard 2i. Why is this? Is there something I'm missing that makes Acekard better, or are people just not aware of the updateable kernel on the EZFlash?

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
AK2 + EZ 3 in 1 for you
wink.gif

G2K

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
OK, this is my final decision on the flashcart to get. I'm getting the DSi when it comes out here this Sunday. The EZFlash Vi has an updateable kernel, so any thing that blocks the current patch could be ignored if a new exploit is found. Yet everyone seems to be going with the Acekard 2i. Why is this? Is there something I'm missing that makes Acekard better, or are people just not aware of the updateable kernel on the EZFlash?

Sorry to be pushy, but I need to order ASAP, as I'm leaving next week and won't be back for a month. Could I get an answer?

Drueth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
G2K said:
QUOTE said:

Sorry to be pushy, but I need to order ASAP, as I'm leaving next week and won't be back for a month. Could I get an answer?

Having an updatable kernel is like being cryogenically frozen just before you die - there's no guarantee it'll ever do any good. Sure in theory you could just update the kernel with a new exploit if the current exploit is patched, but as far as I'm aware nobody even knows if another such exploit exists. I can't think of any good reason to assume that one would, and even if one does, then what? Are there an infinite number of exploits which can be used whenever Nintendo patch the DSi firmware?

That to me makes an updatable kernel not a big deal.

G2K

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Drueth said:
G2K said:
QUOTE said:

Having an updatable kernel is like being cryogenically frozen just before you die - there's no guarantee it'll ever do any good. Sure in theory you could just update the kernel with a new exploit if the current exploit is patched, but as far as I'm aware nobody even knows if another such exploit exists. I can't think of any good reason to assume that one would, and even if one does, then what? Are there an infinite number of exploits which can be used whenever Nintendo patch the DSi firmware?

That to me makes an updatable kernel not a big deal.

Hmmm. I guess that makes sense, but obviously ther's no downside to that fact, so I'll still consider it a plus. But overall, what would be the best card for DSi of these 2? I understand EZFlash has real-time save and in game guides.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
G2K said:
I have answered the question already... I forgot what I said, but at the moment from what you just told me, the EZFlash Vi seems to be the best. It avoids you buying multiple flashcarts with that matter but if the AceKard gets patched, you will need to get a totally new flashcart. Depending on where you are from... I still recommend to get a AceKard 2i. If you are from Japan, Australia or Europe, get a AceKard 2i. Wait for the US release to find out if it works or not... I am pretty sure about the AceKard working on the Euro DSi but skim through some threads first...

mah sentry said:
DS Lite
Use?
Games/Music maybe video and homebrew
Price Range?

G2K

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Splych said:
I have answered the question already... I forgot what I said, but at the moment from what you just told me, the EZFlash Vi seems to be the best. It avoids you buying multiple flashcarts with that matter but if the AceKard gets patched, you will need to get a totally new flashcart. Depending on where you are from... I still recommend to get a AceKard 2i. If you are from Japan, Australia or Europe, get a AceKard 2i. Wait for the US release to find out if it works or not... I am pretty sure about the AceKard working on the Euro DSi but skim through some threads first...

It's been confirmed working on the US DSi - there's a post with a video somewhere in the AceKard subform. But what I wan to know is, if the EZFlash has a much better chance at lasting longer if the DSi gets patched, why are you recommending me for the AceKard 2i?

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
G2K said:
It's been confirmed working on the US DSi - there's a post with a video somewhere in the AceKard subform. But what I wan to know is, if the EZFlash has a much better chance at lasting longer if the DSi gets patched, why are you recommending me for the AceKard 2i?
Mainly because of two reasons:
1. I own one
2. I have read better compatibility about the AceKard then the EZFlash.

Unless you are not wanting to buy a new AceKard if it gets patched, then you might as well go with the EZFlash. I am not sure about those extra features but since I don't use them, I thought they might not be useful to you.

Filler

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Seeing as BOTH hinges on my DS Phat broke after 4 years of use i'm thinking about getting the DSi as a replacement. So also time for a new flashcard

Use? Games/Homebrew
Price Range?

amadorhi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use? games, videos(anime), music
Price Range? Anything reasonable ~$50
Slot 1/2? Looking for slot1 for nds games and slot 2 for gba games
Built in or expandable memory? Micro SDHC
GBA compatibility? Will only be using on a NDS lite but that helps.
Special features? SDHC, Cheats.
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular, Looking at the R4. Having mixed feelings about the supercard
Others:Preferably fast

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
swimmeringer said:
Getting a USA DSi
I already own an EZ Flash 3-in-1 and an M3 DS Simply.
Just to clear things up.
Then you might as well go with a EZFlash Vi. It seems to be best as you have a EZ Flash Expansion. And I think it might be best but as I have said to people before, just wait until you get some feedback on which flashcarts work with the DSi. Just wait tomorrow ... We will all find out as someone is bound to get one and then post if it works. If no one posts yet, then just wait. I read that someone used an AceKard 2i during a DSi test event in the USA at Gamestop and it worked. But as I have said before, wait.

QUOTE(amadorhi @ Apr 4 2009, 08:44 PM) Use? games, videos(anime), music
Price Range? Anything reasonable ~$50
Slot 1/2? Looking for slot1 for nds games and slot 2 for gba games
Built in or expandable memory? Micro SDHC
GBA compatibility? Will only be using on a NDS lite but that helps.
Special features? SDHC, Cheats.
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular, Looking at the R4. Having mixed feelings about the supercard
Others:Preferably fast
R4DS no no. Obsolete and all are fake. Get a AceKard 2.1 + AKAIO Firmware + MoonShell/ Moonshell Beta 2. Best media for me, if not, then get the M3Real + iSakuReal Firmware and you should be good to go. It has 3 firmwares in one, but just pricey. They can all use cheats, and I own both. So for me, I am thinking of making my M3Real as my Media flashcart then my AceKard as my Game flashcart. Lucky for me, I have 2 Micro SD Cards but one is fake so I don't mind if I lose a lot of music xD

To convert movie files, I recommend you to read some guides on converting to .dpg files as that is probably the only way of getting videos onto a DSLite.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the Slot-2. Get the M3Real Deluxe/Perfect Bundle or the AceKard 2.1 + EZFlash V 3-in-1 Expansion Pack.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: +1