Hacking Post your questions about which flashcart to buy

amadorhi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well Ive decided on this combo, Acekard 2 SDHC with 8gigabyte SD and SuperCard mini SD with a 2gigabyte SD.

Its pretty cheap and from what it looks like it "does the job" just right, which is what Im looking for.
If anyone has any criticism for me on that one It'd be greatly appreciated. I know Ill miss out on the ram that the 3in1 gives for online support but then again having online support would probably distract me from playing games, which is what I really want here.

Trigen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use? Games/Homebrew
Price Range? I'd like to keep the whole package under $50
Slot 1/2? 1
Built in or expandable memory? MicroSD
GBA compatibility? I have a PSP for GBA games so that's not a big deal
Special features? SDHC compatibility, Save States are always good, fast (I don't like loading times)
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular I don't know enough about the scene for my opinion to matter

Filler

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Splych said:
People say the AceKard 2i works with the Euro DSi, so I guess you can get it. Just the firmware updates is troubling me with these kind of questions since I am not fully sure if it will not work if it gets a firmware update or something. And the TTi is sorta... Crappy. So don't get it. Get the AceKard 2i but I heard the EZ Flash had update able kernel so I guess it would be okay to get it too (EZ Flash Vi)

All the latest flashcarts should also have Auto - DLDI patching.

Thanks for the advice! I'm probably gonna get the EZ Flash because an update able kernel could come in handy.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
amadorhi said:
Well Ive decided on this combo, Acekard 2 SDHC with 8gigabyte SD and SuperCard mini SD with a 2gigabyte SD.

Its pretty cheap and from what it looks like it "does the job" just right, which is what Im looking for.
If anyone has any criticism for me on that one It'd be greatly appreciated. I know Ill miss out on the ram that the 3in1 gives for online support but then again having online support would probably distract me from playing games, which is what I really want here.
That is good. Most people can survive without the NDS Browser (Guessing on this is what you mean) as they just use their PCs or Laptops to go on the internet. And I own a EZ Flash Expansion, and the only thing I use the browser for is going on EBuddy if I am not using my computer.

Trigen said:
Use? Games/Homebrew
Slot 1/2? 1
Special features? SDHC compatibility, Save States are always good, fast (I don't like loading times)
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular I don't know enough about the scene for my opinion to matter
AceKard 2i. Creates saves fast, and then once it has been created, it loads your games in less than 5 seconds. SDHC Compatible, And uhh... What are save states... But if you are thinking about being able to create multiple saves, then the AceKard can do that. Just get AKAIO firmware with it...

wingzrow said:
Has it been confirmed that the Acecard 2i works on the American DSi after the update?
Not sure. If no one has said anything, just wait for at least a week or check GBAtemp weekly to know if it works or not.

QUOTE(Filler @ Apr 5 2009, 03:46 AM)
Thanks for the advice! I'm probably gonna get the EZ Flash because an update able kernel could come in handy.
Yes that is good. And you can also take advantage of it's new features. Apparently, it has Real Time Save and In Game Guide, but it is best if you do some research and find out first.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Splych said:
Trigen said:
Use? Games/Homebrew
Slot 1/2? 1
AceKard 2i. Creates saves fast, and then once it has been created, it loads your games in less than 5 seconds. SDHC Compatible, And uhh... What are save states... But if you are thinking about being able to create multiple saves, then the AceKard can do that. Just get AKAIO firmware with it...
No, save states is the same as RTS (Real time save) = the ability to save and load the game at any time
the term save states is used with emulators
only Supercard ds one v3, cyclods and M3 real (and maybe EZ flash V) have this function atm.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
tj_cool said:
No, save states is the same as RTS (Real time save) = the ability to save and load the game at any time
only Supercard ds one v3, cyclods and M3 real (and maybe EZ flash V) have this function atm.
Ohh.... Then the best choice is the CycloDS Evolution. If you want something cheaper than the SuperCard DS One v3 is the best. If you want one that plays GBA Games well too, then get the M3Real Deluxe/Perfect Bundle, but I guess GBA Games are out of the question.

sphinx.djc

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
First post for me, just wanted to say hello to everyone and a big thank you to the people who have made this site possible, I've been on it all day and the information has overwhelmed me to such a point that I can't figure out what I need or want
wacko.gif
So, without further ado, I hope I can get some much needed help...

Use? Games, and only games...

Price Range? Don't care, if its good quality and will last me, I'll consider anything.

Slot 1/2? Not too sure, but if it helps, I have a DSi.

Built in or expandable memory? Not too familiar with the technology pertaining to this but I'm going to say expandable.

Special features? No, something simple and something that works.

Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular None, open to whatever meets my criterion.

Other? I'm new to this, bear with me if any information isn't fully complete or I've misunderstood something. The only one I've used is the M3 on someone else's fat DS, I'm hoping there is something compatible with the DSi. I'd really like for it to be able to play GBA games if this is possible, I have a soft spot for Golden Sun and ALL Zelda games... Lastly, I've been going over some information about how the firmware updates can block certain cards, I would very much like to avoid any card to which this can happen if its possible.

Thank you for your help.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
sphinx.djc said:
First post for me, just wanted to say hello to everyone and a big thank you to the people who have made this site possible, I've been on it all day and the information has overwhelmed me to such a point that I can't figure out what I need or want
wacko.gif

Price Range? Don't care, if its good quality and will last me, I'll consider anything.

Built in or expandable memory? Not too familiar with the technology pertaining to this but I'm going to say expandable.

Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular None, open to whatever meets my criterion.

Other? I'm new to this, bear with me if any information isn't fully complete or I've misunderstood something. The only one I've used is the M3 on someone else's fat DS, I'm hoping there is something compatible with the DSi. I'd really like for it to be able to play GBA games if this is possible, I have a soft spot for Golden Sun and ALL Zelda games... Lastly, I've been going over some information about how the firmware updates can block certain cards, I would very much like to avoid any card to which this can happen if its possible.

Thank you for your help.
Welcome to GBAtemp~! I am one of the few gurus who hang around in this thread helping people out. Fun if you ask me. I recommend an AceKard 2i if you are just going to play DS Games. It works nicely, and people have said it works with 1.3U Firmware on the DSi. If you are going to play GBA Games, I recommend you just use emulators on the PC or PSP. It works best there.... It is very troublesome when using the DS for playing downloaded GBA Games.

Memory is expandable. Supports Micro SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity. Anything 4GB or more). Loads games fast, just when it is creating saves, it takes some time, but once the save is created, it loads game super fast ^^

Do a little research on the AKAIO firmware. Best firmware for the AceKard even if it isn't the official. It has fixed many bugs from the original AceKard firmware.

sphinx.djc

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Splych said:
sphinx.djc said:
wacko.gif

Thank you for your help.
Welcome to GBAtemp~! I am one of the few gurus who hang around in this thread helping people out. Fun if you ask me. I recommend an AceKard 2i if you are just going to play DS Games. It works nicely, and people have said it works with 1.3U Firmware on the DSi. If you are going to play GBA Games, I recommend you just use emulators on the PC or PSP. It works best there.... It is very troublesome when using the DS for playing downloaded GBA Games.

Memory is expandable. Supports Micro SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity. Anything 4GB or more). Loads games fast, just when it is creating saves, it takes some time, but once the save is created, it loads game super fast ^^

Do a little research on the AKAIO firmware. Best firmware for the AceKard even if it isn't the official. It has fixed many bugs from the original AceKard firmware.

Thank you very much for your help Splych!

I will definitely look up the AceKard and see if it suits me. Now as the GBA games, I personally HATE emulation... I just don't like the idea of sitting in front of my PC to play GBA games and having to use the keyboard... it feels awkward
blink.gif
Is there any flashcart which supports GBA games or the emulation of it if thats a possibility?

The memory... so I just get an SD card like SanDisk or Kingston? Will 16 GB be enough?

By the way, where in Ontario are you? Anywhere near the GTA?

Trigen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Splych said:
tj_cool said:
Ohh.... Then the best choice is the CycloDS Evolution. If you want something cheaper than the SuperCard DS One v3 is the best. If you want one that plays GBA Games well too, then get the M3Real Deluxe/Perfect Bundle, but I guess GBA Games are out of the question.

Well I would have gathered that, my real question is, is the CycloDS Evo worth paying $20 for over the Supercard?

handisnacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use? Games
Price Range? Any (cheapest is best)
Slot 1/2? Either
Built in or expandable memory? Prefer flash (MicroSD/MiniSD)
GBA compatibility? Yes
Special features? Simply just want to play DS & GBA games
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular AceKard 2 w/ GBA Addon (don't know which to choose) or M3 DS Real combo pack (includes a GBA insert I think?)

What is the best store to purchase these at in the US? I'd prefer not to deal with airmail from Hong Kong, but will if I have no other choice.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
sphinx.djc said:

I will definitely look up the AceKard and see if it suits me. Now as the GBA games, I personally HATE emulation... I just don't like the idea of sitting in front of my PC to play GBA games and having to use the keyboard... it feels awkward
blink.gif
Is there any flashcart which supports GBA games or the emulation of it if thats a possibility?

The memory... so I just get an SD card like SanDisk or Kingston? Will 16 GB be enough?

There are many flashcarts that support GBA emulation
the problem is, you need an expansion for the slot2 (= gba slot) and the DSi has no slot2
I dunno much about DS homebrew, but maybe theres a gba emulator for ds?

I think i saw somewhere that 8GB holds 160 games, so 16GB has to hold 320 games

The last question is for Splych

QUOTE(handisnacks @ Apr 6 2009, 08:17 AM) Use? Games
Slot 1/2? Either
GBA compatibility? Yes
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular AceKard 2 w/ GBA Addon (don't know which to choose) or M3 DS Real combo pack (includes a GBA insert I think?)

What is the best store to purchase these at in the US? I'd prefer not to deal with airmail from Hong Kong, but will if I have no other choice.
I'm going to use DX for prices, but you dont need to order your flashcart there

First, we have the Acekard2
Its the Cheapest flashcart (not counting the now unsuported DSTT and R4) currently out there
It doesn't have all those special functions, but it has a very nice menu
If you want it to have some more functions, you can get the AKAIO firmware (Acekard All-in-one), which is free (so you should if you choose acekard2 as its better)

But of course we need an expansion for it to play gba games
The best one is the ez flash 3in1 it has rumble, ram (for ds browser) and gba expansion

If you choose the M3, You have to take the perfect pack/deluxe edition, as its the only pack with gba expansion

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
handisnacks said:
Use? Games
Slot 1/2? Either
GBA compatibility? Yes

You should buy the AceKard2 with a EZ3in1 expansion. That fits all your needs and it's pretty cheap.
You can buy if from DealWoot.

handisnacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any particular reason to purchase that combo? Is it just for simplicity? It'll be around $80 w/ a 4GB memory card from that store.

I found that I can get the M3DS Real combo w/ 4GB MicroSD from realhotstuff (are they reliable? they're in NJ) for $65 shipped 2-3 days to my house.

handisnacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for the double post, but I hopped on the AceKard 2 w/ 4GB MicroSD + EZV 3in1 deal.

$60.05 shipped priority mail (2-3 days) from RealHotStuff.com

Great deal imo, thanks for advice.

bolmedias

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Trigen, I know from the research I did when buying my flash cart that not many carts can do proper save states. If this is a necessary feature, your best bet would be to go for a CycloDS Evolution.

sphinx.djc

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
tj_cool said:
sphinx.djc said:

blink.gif

There are many flashcarts that support GBA emulation
the problem is, you need an expansion for the slot2 (= gba slot) and the DSi has no slot2
I dunno much about DS homebrew, but maybe theres a gba emulator for ds?

I think i saw somewhere that 8GB holds 160 games, so 16GB has to hold 320 games

Whats the difference between MicroSD and MicrsoSDHC? I am beginning to finally understand how the flashcarts work but I can't find the difference between the memory sticks. And to confirm, AceKard 2i does not run GBA games at all correct?

Alright, I checked further and answered my own question, the HC is the difference and just indicates larger sized memory cards right? I am looking at getting a 16GB, is there any difference in the brands? And finally, what do I use to actually upload the information on the card cause I can't seem to find a slot on my PC for it.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So many things happen while I am away in the thread ^^

Good to see lots of people helping others here~!

sphinx.djc said:
Whats the difference between MicroSD and MicrsoSDHC? I am beginning to finally understand how the flashcarts work but I can't find the difference between the memory sticks. And to confirm, AceKard 2i does not run GBA games at all correct?

Alright, I checked further and answered my own question, the HC is the difference and just indicates larger sized memory cards right? I am looking at getting a 16GB, is there any difference in the brands? And finally, what do I use to actually upload the information on the card cause I can't seem to find a slot on my PC for it.
MicroSD Consist of MicroSD Cards that hold the capacity of 2GB and under. MicroSDHC consist of Micro SD Cards that hold the capacity of 4GB and over.

Most brands have different classes. If you are from the US, i recommend buying from NewEgg. Then buy a Transcend or A-DATA. Those two are very popular as their Micro SDHC Cards are Class 6 so fastest. It it just by luck that you get a fast reading SD/SDHC card though...

I heard that Kingston is good too, but I would recommend A-DATA or Transcend more.

DatVietDude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
should I get an AK2i or get a Supercard One because my cheap R4 SDHC got a virus, ran outta battery, or even just plain broken, and I have a spare 8GB Transcend SDHC Class 6 to use for a Flash Cart

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: A chair fit for royalty