Hacking Post your questions about which flashcart to buy

luan87us

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SO you would recommend AceKard2 over EZFlash V+? I want the one with best compatibilities, functions (Saves, etc..) How does the features of the Acekard 2 compare to the EZFlash V+? Thanks for quick responses.

luan87us

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what do you think I should get? Now I can't make up my mind between the EZFlash V+ and the AceKard 2i. THey are both same price, I can't find teh AceKard 2 anywhere (All sold out T.T).

RuneEdge

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
PharaohsVizier said:
Ummmm for RuneEDGE's question, I believe that you are asking if you can skip the step of going and downloading the software from the site... Almost all flash carts requires the initial setup, and believe me when I say most of them are easier than you think. Quite literally you go to the website and download a file and drag it into your memory card. It shouldn't be something you want to avoid, it is no harder than getting a game file off the net and dragging it into your memory card.
Thanks for the reply. I don't mean having to go to the site to download a software. I mean, is there anything where I dont have to run the roms through a patcher or software of some sort? I already have one of the first SuperCard SDs with a SuperKey and I hate having to run games through the patcher and fiddle around with different settings for the save types and enabling reset and all that stuff, only to find out the game doesnt work. And then having to go back to the software and try another combination of settings to see if that got the game working.
I want something thats plain and simple. I actually wouldnt mind a software if it was just a matter of loading the rom in the program, pressing a button and having it do the rest for you without having to check forums and websites to see how I can get the game working.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
luan87us said:
So what do you think I should get? Now I can't make up my mind between the EZFlash V+ and the AceKard 2i. THey are both same price, I can't find teh AceKard 2 anywhere (All sold out T.T).
Well, they are both very good flashcarts! EZFlash is a brand that has been out there for years. Probably the oldest one that still manufactures and updates! The AceKard is new to the flashcart business but is a very good brand still.

I find the AceKard 2i better for me. It seems to be complimented a lot. I own an AceKard 2 but the AceKard 2 and AceKard 2i are excactly the same from what I heard. Just one is compatible with the DSi and the other isn't. The AceKard 2 is a very fast flashcart. The GUI is simple and clean. When loading games, they are fast. Just creating a .sav file is a little slow. When you play GBA roms, you won't need a homebrew to load them. You can load them directly from the GUI (Still need Expansion Pack).

The EZFlash V+ has many freebies! An extra stylus, finger stylus and a Micro SD Card reader! Compatible with DSi and is slightly cheaper than the AceKard 2i. So far, the only problem with the EZFlash for people were that the roms are loaded slowly... compared to the AceKard 2i. Unless you are very patient, then you might as well go with the EZFlash. Both have very good compatibility for roms and homebrew. They both have auto DLDI patching.

Just think of these questions on your mind:

- Am I patient
- Do I need these extra freebies

Just ask those questions. After reading this, you should know your choice.

@ Pharaoh ~ Like your CycloDS to SuperCard DS One review. I haven't read it all, but skimmed through it and it was a very good review!

Baardmeester

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Use? NES/SNES/etc emulation and testing some nds games before buying
Price Range? under 50 euro's
Slot 1/2? slot 1
Built in or expandable memory? I prefer expandable micro sdhc
Special features? Best for emulating retro platforms
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular Cyclo DS and Edge, but other recommendations are of course welcome
Other? The flashcart build quality is at least decent. I prefer it doesn't stick out(a little bit doesn't matter) and that inserting it in the ds is like a normal nds cartridge(no weird noises or inserting is feeling weird like i heard in some youtube reviews).

Support slot-2 GBA? don't care
Support slot-2 rumble packs? don't care
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? don't care

The main reason I got interested in the ds flashcarts is the ability to emulate my NES/SNES/etc games for on the go. ie what is the best flashcart for playing NES/SNES/etc games on the ds? Do they all preform the same and have the same platforms available?

thanks in advance

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@ Pharaoh ~ I still think it is worth the time to read though. Very detailed as well!

Baardmeester said:
Use? NES/SNES/etc emulation and testing some nds games before buying
Price Range? under 50 euro's
Slot 1/2? slot 1
Built in or expandable memory? I prefer expandable micro sdhc
Special features? Best for emulating retro platforms
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular Cyclo DS and Edge, but other recommendations are of course welcome
Other? The flashcart build quality is at least decent. I prefer it doesn't stick out(a little bit doesn't matter) and that inserting it in the ds is like a normal nds cartridge(no weird noises or inserting is feeling weird like i heard in some youtube reviews).

Support slot-2 GBA? don't care
Support slot-2 rumble packs? don't care
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? don't care

The main reason I got interested in the ds flashcarts is the ability to emulate my NES/SNES/etc games for on the go. ie what is the best flashcart for playing NES/SNES/etc games on the ds? Do they all preform the same and have the same platforms available?

thanks in advance
All flashcarts can play NES/SNES games properly. As they all use a homebrew emulator to load the games. Go with the AceKard 2i if you want the cheapest price with decent enough features and very good compatibility.

If you want the top of the line, go for the CycloDS. Has many extra features. But very few people use them.

Read more at the reviews:
AceKard 2i GBAtemp Review
CycloDS Evolution GBAtemp Review

Where to Buy:
DealWoot.com(Based in USA, Cheapest Place to Buy CycloDS Evolution)
DealExtreme.com(Based in HongKong, Cheapest Place to Buy AceKard 2i)

Emulators:
All Emulators That Run On The DS(A Must Read For Yiu, To Learn About All The Emulators)

a2h

Trophies
XP
Country
Use? NDS games incl homebrew, music, videos, the occasional retail slot 2 game
Price Range? Not too expensive, but if the features I want push up the price, so be it.
Slot 1/2? 1
Built in or expandable memory? MicroSD, SDHC support doesn't matter
Special features? Skin support, maybe RTS, maybe in-game text reader, cheats
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular CycloDS, M3 Sakura, M3 Real, EDGE, AceKard
Other? Most if not all R4 features at least would be great.

For all slot-1's (ignore if you want a slot-2):
Support slot-2 GBA? Retail
Support slot-2 rumble packs? Sure, why not
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? Sure, why not

ShAdOwFuRi

Trophies
XP
Country
PharaohsVizier said:
Lol, no one reads the comparison, even I can't get through the whole thing, it's too long, but that's exactly the kind of detail it needed for those pesky users that ask about evveeerrryyyytttthhhhiiinnnggg

I'm proud to say that I have indeed sat down and read the ENTIRE thing, I really do admire the detail in which you go into. I must say the comparison was very clearly biased, but understandably so
biggrin.gif

@anger2headshot: Seeing as though you're in Australia like me I can refer to pricing in the Australian dollar wooo!!! Ok, so if you're really after all those features listed then the Cyclo DS is the one for you, keeping in mind however that the cheapest you'll get is probably from OzModchips which has them going for about $90. Otherwise, go for the Acekard 2, which will only cost you like $20... but pretty much lacks only the extra features.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
anger2headshot said:
Use? NDS games incl homebrew, music, videos, the occasional retail slot 2 game
Price Range? Not too expensive, but if the features I want push up the price, so be it.
Slot 1/2? 1
Built in or expandable memory? MicroSD, SDHC support doesn't matter
Special features? Skin support, maybe RTS, maybe in-game text reader, cheats
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular CycloDS, M3 Sakura, M3 Real, EDGE, AceKard
Other? Most if not all R4 features at least would be great.

Support slot-2 GBA? Retail
Support slot-2 rumble packs? Sure, why not
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? Sure, why not
I have no idea where to buy this, since I am not a Australian resident. But, you should go for a CycloDS Evolution. It has all the features you want and more. The M3 Real has RTS, but not In-Game Guide. I would just recommend the Cyclo DS for all the features. Only thing is the pricey-nsss of it.

If you want something cheaper, then go for the M3 Real. Just not all the same features of the CycloDS. Only thing similar is the SDHC, and RTS. Cheats are defaulted with all the latest flashcarts.

If you want the cheapest thing possible, then go for the AceKard 2i. Just in case you ever get a DSi, you know that this will be compatible. Asides that, it just has the basic features such as:

- Cheats
- Skinnable
- Auto-DLDI patching
- SDHC Support

It also goes out for a cheap price at DealExtreme for $20 USD. And free shipping...

To play Slot-2 Games, you need the EZ-Flash Expansion Pack 3-in-1. It goes out for $20 USD at DealExtreme as well. You should only buy this if you go for the CycloDS or AceKard 2i. If you are going for the M3 Real, but the Perfect bundle. You will get 2 expansion packs, one for GBA Games and the other for Ram Expansion and Rumble. Good thing about this is that you can have cheats for your GBA Games, but the EZ-Flash Expansion does not support the cheats. Sadly...

I will not force you to decide for either flashcarts, but from reading this review decide on which one you want...

@ Shadow ~ You read the whole thing. I was going to read the whole thing, but get distracted all the time with interruptions... So I never bothered reading it all. When I have the time, I will finish reading it.

And one more thing, when you advise someone to get a certain flashcart, try to go in depth of each and every one of the ones they request or have ideas of. Try not to go for only 2 main flashcarts: CycloDS Evolution and AceKard 2. You should point out the AceKard 2i as they are almost the same price. And anger had also heard of the M3 Real. There are things that it has that others don't. But other than that, your advice is good. You point out the main points.

Just try to be more detailed
wink.gif

And I can see that the @ signs are contagious
tongue.gif

a2h

Trophies
XP
Country
Echo said:
If you want the cheapest thing possible, then go for the AceKard 2i. Just in case you ever get a DSi, you know that this will be compatible.
Unless a firmware update breaks it.

Anyway, thanks for the information...

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
anger2headshot said:
Echo said:
If you want the cheapest thing possible, then go for the AceKard 2i. Just in case you ever get a DSi, you know that this will be compatible.
Unless a firmware update breaks it.

Anyway, thanks for the information...
Yep no problem. And a place you can get it is at DealExtreme in case you are wondering where....
AceKard 2i at DealExtreme.

It goes for $19.50 USD but takes some time to go to places... Depending if you are lucky or un-lucky.

The M3 Real Perfect Bundle can also be bought here as well. But last time I checked, it was out of stock.

I forgot one other flashcart... It called the EZ-Flash V Plus. Almost the same price as the AceKard 2i, but just a slight difference. Same site, DealExtreme.
EZ-Flash V Plus at DealExtreme.
It goes out for $18.99 USD. When using the expansion pack, GBA games can be directly loaded. Only problem with this one is that I heard that games are loaded slow... Just takes time. You can consider trying this one. The majority of AceKard users to EZ-Flash Users create a large difference.

But it is still worth to try as the EZ-Flash Team have been around for a while now.

Tempus35

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I am looking for a new cart, the older slot 2 I have is not working very well anymore.

So I am looking for a slot-1 device that works very well, has great compatibility, updated a lot. Has support for cheats. $50 or under.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My favorite thread to post in ^^

Hopefully, one day they should create FlashCart Guru or something for one of the categories! I would want to be part of that for sure ^^

Tempus35 said:
Hello, I am looking for a new cart, the older slot 2 I have is not working very well anymore.

So I am looking for a slot-1 device that works very well, has great compatibility, updated a lot. Has support for cheats. $50 or under.
A new flashcart... Slot-1 for sure.

you are going for $50 and under. You are from USA judging from the flag on your user. So I guess you have a few choices:

- Cyclo DS Evolution
- AceKard 2i
- M3 Real
- EZ-Flash V Plus

Well, I need to know a few things first to be more detailed:
Do you want to be able to play GBA games as well?
Would you want to use the NDS Browser?

Just those two.

======

The CycloDS Evolution is the top of the line flashcart. It's the most expensive but has many features such as Real Time Save (Save anywhere during game), In Game Cheats (Enable-Disable cheats during game), In-Game Guide (Read a txt based file during game) and more! It supports SDHC, and I am sure many people can support you if you have any problems while using it.

You can read more about it in the guide. I can't be in more depth then that xDD

The AceKard2i is a simple flashcart. You just load games and then BAM! Simple as that. GUI is very easy to use, so that means it is very user friendly. It doesn't have extra features like the CycloDS but it is still well worth your money if you want the basic features. It is much cheaper than the CycloDS, but you won't have all the features of the CycloDS. It is also compatible with the DSi.

The M3 Real is a middle class flash cart. Not too expensive and not too cheap. It can allow you to use the M3 Sakura, and you can also have Real Time Save. It is still a new feature though, so don't expect it to be the best as I think it's still in the Beta stage. It is more expensive then the AceKard 2i but cheaper than the CycloDS.

The EZ-Flash V Plus is also compatible with the DSi. But only some versions of it are. Some still have the old one out, some sites have the new one out. It has basic features as well, but loads roms a little slower than the other choices. It has many freebies though, which I would appreciate. Slightly more expensive then the AceKard 2i though.

Where to buy:
CycloDS: DealWoot They sell the CycloDS for $47.99. Cheapest out there. Based in USA and very trustworthy.
AceKard 2i: DealExtreme Sell the AceKard 2i for $19.50. Cheapest out there, but just takes some time to ship. Also has free shipping. Based in HongKong. Trustable.
M3 Real: DealExtreme DealExtreme again. Sell the M3 Real for $28.43. Same thing that I said about the AceKard 2i. Cheapest out there from what I see.
EZ-Flash V Plus: DealExtreme Once again DealExtreme. Sell the EZ-Flash for $18.99. Cheapest out there!

One more thing, all these flashcarts support SDHC. So that shouldn't be a problem. Also have Auto-DLDI patching as well.

luan87us

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Echo said:

Hopefully, one day they should create FlashCart Guru or something for one of the categories! I would want to be part of that for sure ^^

Tempus35 said:

you are going for $50 and under. You are from USA judging from the flag on your user. So I guess you have a few choices:

- Cyclo DS Evolution
- AceKard 2i
- M3 Real
- EZ-Flash V Plus

Just those two.

======

The CycloDS Evolution is the top of the line flashcart. It's the most expensive but has many features such as Real Time Save (Save anywhere during game), In Game Cheats (Enable-Disable cheats during game), In-Game Guide (Read a txt based file during game) and more! It supports SDHC, and I am sure many people can support you if you have any problems while using it.

The AceKard2i is a simple flashcart. You just load games and then BAM! Simple as that. GUI is very easy to use, so that means it is very user friendly. It doesn't have extra features like the CycloDS but it is still well worth your money if you want the basic features. It is much cheaper than the CycloDS, but you won't have all the features of the CycloDS. It is also compatible with the DSi.

The M3 Real is a middle class flash cart. Not too expensive and not too cheap. It can allow you to use the M3 Sakura, and you can also have Real Time Save. It is still a new feature though, so don't expect it to be the best as I think it's still in the Beta stage. It is more expensive then the AceKard 2i but cheaper than the CycloDS.

The EZ-Flash V Plus is also compatible with the DSi. But only some versions of it are. Some still have the old one out, some sites have the new one out. It has basic features as well, but loads roms a little slower than the other choices. It has many freebies though, which I would appreciate. Slightly more expensive then the AceKard 2i though.

Where to buy:
CycloDS: DealWoot They sell the CycloDS for $47.99. Cheapest out there. Based in USA and very trustworthy.
AceKard 2i: DealExtreme Sell the AceKard 2i for $19.50. Cheapest out there, but just takes some time to ship. Also has free shipping. Based in HongKong. Trustable.
M3 Real: DealExtreme DealExtreme again. Sell the M3 Real for $28.43. Same thing that I said about the AceKard 2i. Cheapest out there from what I see.
EZ-Flash V Plus: DealExtreme Once again DealExtreme. Sell the EZ-Flash for $18.99. Cheapest out there!

One more thing, all these flashcarts support SDHC. So that shouldn't be a problem. Also have Auto-DLDI patching as well.

So does AceKard 2i compatible with EZFlash 3in1 slot 2? I think i'm going to order it and the EZflash 3in1 from DE cuz it's almost as half as cheap as dealwoot >.< any other site for AceKard 2i or even AK2 for somewhere around $20 but faster shipping than DE? And if I'm not wrong all these card require a slot 2 expansion pack to play GBA right?

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
luan87us said:
So does AceKard 2i compatible with EZFlash 3in1 slot 2? I think i'm going to order it and the EZflash 3in1 from DE cuz it's almost as half as cheap as dealwoot >.< any other site for AceKard 2i or even AK2 for somewhere around $20 but faster shipping than DE? And if I'm not wrong all these card require a slot 2 expansion pack to play GBA right?

Yes the AceKard 2i is compatible with the EZ-Flash 3-in-1 Expansion Pack. I have a AceKard 2 and I heard that they use the same firmware. Only one is compatible with the DSi and the other isn't.

I own the Expansion pack and it works perfectly fine. It does what it does.

dark_matter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use? Games in general, videos, read text files (ebooks) but mainly games.
Price Range? cheap as possible under $30?
Slot 1/2? 1[ /b]
Built in or expandable memory? Doesn't matter really, expandable perhaps.
Special features? custom themes... In game save state?
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular? Don't know. Popular is cyclo, but it is more than I'm willing to pay right now.
Other? Just want one that will play games clean and simple without problems with as little much input from me as possible.

Support slot-2 GBA? don't care...
Support slot-2 rumble packs? no
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? not really

I bought an EZFlash for the gba years ago and it still works for me if that means anything.

5thdimension

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
dark_matter said:
Use? Games in general, videos, read text files (ebooks) but mainly games.
Price Range? cheap as possible under $30?
Slot 1/2? 1[ /b]
Built in or expandable memory? Doesn't matter really, expandable perhaps.
Special features? custom themes... In game save state?
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular? Don't know. Popular is cyclo, but it is more than I'm willing to pay right now.
Other? Just want one that will play games clean and simple without problems with as little much input from me as possible.

Support slot-2 GBA? don't care...
Support slot-2 rumble packs? no
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? not really

I bought an EZFlash for the gba years ago and it still works for me if that means anything.

SuperCard DS-One has in game save state (you're talking about real-time saving right?). It seems to have lost it's popularity though. I would just save up your money and buy the CycloDS though, it seems to be quite good and popular at the moment. If you need one now though and can't save up, then just buy an AceKard 2, it is the cheapest.

Tempus35

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Echo said:

Tempus35 said:

- Cyclo DS Evolution
- AceKard 2i
- M3 Real
- EZ-Flash V Plus

Just those two.

======

Where to buy:

For the questions, No to both. I thinking the cyclods, though I will have to same some cash first.

Quick Question, I am still using an older DS not the lite or the new one, cyclods does work with the first generation ds's right?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, it wasnt aimed at you but ok