1. dark_matter

dark_matter Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Thanks for the reply!

Is an AceKard 2 reliable and also a good place to buy it? I had been looking at a R4, but I don't know. I didn't want to spend too much.

2. Splych

Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Yea. The CycloDS should work with the first generation DS. To keep your self busy, consider buying an AceKard 2i or EZ-Flash V Plus while you save your money for a CycloDS. These things are cheap! And they have the basic features. The AceKard 2i is also compatible with the DSi, so it would be even better to have it just in case you consider buying a DSi once it gets released in North America.

3. Splych

Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Missed this one!

I missed this... Yes the AceKard 2i is reliable. And don't buy an R4DS. Too many fakes out as it has stopped production.

You can buy an AceKard 2 or AceKard 2i here:
    AceKard 2i$19.50 USD, Free Shipping

It's DealExtreme. Lots of people buy from them and it's well worth your money! AceKard 2 is out of stock... But this one is better anyway.

4. dark_matter

dark_matter Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Thanks! I thank I'll go with an AceKard 2i as it seems like a good deal.

One last thing, this does work with a older version of the DS, right. I bought mine when they first came out.

Thanks again!

5. luan87us

luan87us Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Ak2i is compatible with all DS models. Anywhere else with fast shipping and decent price for it beside DE?

6. ShAdOwFuRi

ShAdOwFuRi GBAtemp Fan

We can't be sure that the Acekard 2i is 100% reliable, it simply has not been out long enough for people to decide that. The fact that it has the protruding chip does make it somewhat viable to extra damage. So in my opinion, unless you really plan on getting a DSi, don't go for the Acekard 2i, instead go for the original Acekard 2 since they have the same firmware anyway but only differ in compatibility.

Also, even if you do plan to get a DSi, I would not get the Acekard 2i, until you actually have your DSi, or are obtaining it in the near future. You never know, a new revised Acekard 2i could be released, perhaps one without the protruding chip, much like how the Acekard 2 was replaced with the Acekard 2.1.

7. Splych

Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

This is much agreed with. I noticed that the AceKard 2i's price had decreased severely. Chances are, they may have been messaged.

Who knows, Team AceKard may have messaged them saying they may be sending newer versions of the AceKard 2i. I will be more specific and make better choices next time.

Good job with the observation. I will be using this to help me in my suggestions!

8. Daniel000

Daniel000 Newbie
    Newcomer

Australia
    with the main 4 being named as the carts that people should go for now -

- Cyclo DS Evolution
    - AceKard 2i
    - M3 Real
    - EZ-Flash V Plus

do they all support up to say 4, 8 , 16, 24 , 32 gig sandisk cards?

and do they play say avi files such as a lost episode, and all play music ?

people have been mentioning wifi conectivity... im confused as i dont own a nds but am looking at getting one, what does this mean does it mean the internet or just connection with another DS ?

9. luan87us

luan87us Member
    Newcomer

United States
    They all supports sdhc cards.
    They don't support avi files but they do support DPG video files, and mp3 but don't count on the quality as the DS wasn't made for multimedia purpose.
    Wifi connectivity is available with Wifi enabled games, it allows you to play the game on the WFC (just like the wii) meaning you can play against others on the internet. Also with Slot 2 cartridge you can use the Opera browser to browse the web.
    Hope that helps you.

10. Daniel000

Daniel000 Newbie
    Newcomer

Australia
    Ok thanks for that. what has made people go off the R4 ? the kids at the afterskool care program that i work at all pretty much have the R4 and seems to run perfect.. ?

11. ShAdOwFuRi

ShAdOwFuRi GBAtemp Fan

The question is not what has made people go off the R4, but more what has drawn people towards other carts.

The slot 1 cart is simply becoming more and more sophisticated, new features such as RTS, RTC and RTG have become available, thus leaving R4 behind. Also keeping in mind that the original R4 is now out of production and all cartridges made under that name are fakes, meaning they generally lack support.

12. Daniel000

Daniel000 Newbie
    Newcomer

Australia
    ah k fair enuf

lol wat is RTS, RTC and RTG ?

13. luan87us

luan87us Member
    Newcomer

United States
    RTS: real time save
    RTC: real time cheat
    RTG: Real time guide

the reason people R4 isn't as popular anymore is because the team stopped production for it and there are you many fakes out there. And also like that guy said there are new cart with more features.

14. Splych

Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

RTS: Real Time Save
    RTC: Real Time Cheat
    RTG: Real Time Guid

To be more in-depth with these...

Real Time Save (RTS) allows you to save anywhere in a game. But you won't be using the game's saver, you will be using the flashcart's save system of RTS.
    Real Time Cheat (RTC) allows you to enable and disable your cheats during game play.
    Real Time Guide (RTG) allows you to read text files during game play. Very useful if you are using walkthroughs.

15. FlexiPack

FlexiPack Newbie
    Newcomer

Use? DS games, GBA games, homebrew (not video/mp3 particularly), emulation
    Price Range? N/A
    Slot 1/2? 1
    Built in or expandable memory? expandable
    Special features?
    Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular CycloDS, Acekard 2 or Supercard V3
    Other?

For all slot-1's (ignore if you want a slot-2):
    Support slot-2 GBA? yes
    Support slot-2 rumble packs? maybe
    Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? not bothered

For slot-2's (ignore if you want a slot-1): expansion pack or its own memory?

Hi folks,

I've just got my first DS (lite) and i've been frantically brushing up on all things flash cart related. I've narrowed it down to 3:
    • CycloDS evolution
    • AceKard 2
    • Supercard V3
    There doesn't seem to be much difference in price between them all. Onshop.01media.com the AK is €37.95, the CycloDS €42.95 and the supercard V3 is €35.95. What i've read so far is that the AK is a fair bit cheaper than the Cyclo but the Cyclo is better, but here it's only €5 difference.

What are the main differences (deal breaker differences) between the 3? I've checked the reviews on all 3 and they all look about the same feature wise, they all have 100% nds compatability, DLDI, slot 2 loading, 100% homebrew, touch screen menus, skinnable.

I just want to make sure there's nothing i'm missing? So far i'm leaning towards the CycloDS evolution.

Also if i want to play GBA games i'll need the EZ V 3-1 expansion adaptor no matter which of the 3 flash carts i buy, is that correct?

Thanks for any help!

P.S I'm in the UK, is the Onshop.01media.com a good place to buy from? It's on the 'good' retailers list. This one isn't in the UK but the two that are in the UK don't stock the cyclods.

16. kai445

kai445 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Use? Games
    Price Range? Under $40 highly preferred.
    Slot 1/2? Slot 2. GBA only.
    Built in or expandable memory? A memory card would be preferred (I'd like to use a 2GB card if possible, unless there is a card with 2GB built in).
    Special features? Good compatibility important. A nice GUI would be preferred. RTS or other features are nice but not required.
    Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular? No, I'm not familiar enough with older slot-2 cards.
    Other? Highly prefer the card to be the size of a genuine GBA game or close to it (the card would be used in an old Gameboy Advance or Gameboy Advance SP, not in a DS/DSL, and I don't want it sticking out huge.)

17. Splych

Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Oohh... This is gonna be tricky... I have like no knowledge on Slot-2 Carts... I will try and research a bit to tell you more...

I found two options that seem nice. And they follow almost all of your requests...
    SuperCard Mini SD $18.30 USD
    SuperCard SD $25.90 USD

I have no knowledge on these flashcarts, but they follow what you want. It even has Real Time Save! Real Time Guide... Even Real Time Cheat. It seems worth your money. Maybe even ask people around the forums about this for more info.

Also read this from their site:
    SuperCard Mini SD
    SuperCard SD

Tells you about features and more there!

18. FlexiPack

FlexiPack Newbie
    Newcomer

Those are great prices, I don't mind waiting longer for delivery but I better check to see how much the P&P is and hope customs don't slap a bit extra on.

Echo thanks very much for your help, very appreciated.

19. Splych

Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

DSTT and YSMenu are two other firmwares. The DSTT is another flashcart. But many people use the SuperCard DS One and use the Triple Boot OS feature. People then place the DSTT, YSMenu and SuperCard DS One firmware onto the SD Card and have all those firmwares into one flashcart.

I am not much of a abbreviation person... But, what does P&P stand for? Customs...

20. 5thdimension

5thdimension Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    I am pretty sure it means Plug n Play.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - questions, flashcart,