Hacking Post your questions about which flashcart to buy

dark_matter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply!

Is an AceKard 2 reliable and also a good place to buy it? I had been looking at a R4, but I don't know. I didn't want to spend too much.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
dark_matter said:
Use? Games in general, videos, read text files (ebooks) but mainly games.
Price Range? cheap as possible under $30?
Slot 1/2? 1[ /b]
Built in or expandable memory? Doesn't matter really, expandable perhaps.
Special features? custom themes... In game save state?
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular? Don't know. Popular is cyclo, but it is more than I'm willing to pay right now.
Other? Just want one that will play games clean and simple without problems with as little much input from me as possible.

For all slot-1's (ignore if you want a slot-2):
Support slot-2 GBA? don't care...
Support slot-2 rumble packs? no
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? not really

I bought an EZFlash for the gba years ago and it still works for me if that means anything.
In Game Save State... You must mean Real Time Save so you can save any time in the game. There is the M3 Real. It just released it's Real Time Save. You can try that out. The SuperCard DS One, and the CycloDS Evolution have this feature as well. But if you are just going to use that one feature, then just go with the M3 Real.

5thdimension said:
SuperCard DS-One has in game save state (you're talking about real-time saving right?). It seems to have lost it's popularity though. I would just save up your money and buy the CycloDS though, it seems to be quite good and popular at the moment. If you need one now though and can't save up, then just buy an AceKard 2, it is the cheapest.
Yea, the SuperCard DS-One has lost it's popularity. Now the 2 main flashcarts that are being compared are the AceKard 2 and CycloDS Evolution.

QUOTE(Tempus35 @ Jan 12 2009, 09:56 PM)
For the questions, No to both. I thinking the cyclods, though I will have to same some cash first.

Quick Question, I am still using an older DS not the lite or the new one, cyclods does work with the first generation ds's right?

Yea. The CycloDS should work with the first generation DS. To keep your self busy, consider buying an AceKard 2i or EZ-Flash V Plus while you save your money for a CycloDS. These things are cheap! And they have the basic features. The AceKard 2i is also compatible with the DSi, so it would be even better to have it just in case you consider buying a DSi once it gets released in North America.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Missed this one!

dark_matter said:
Thanks for the reply!

Is an AceKard 2 reliable and also a good place to buy it? I had been looking at a R4, but I don't know. I didn't want to spend too much.
I missed this... Yes the AceKard 2i is reliable. And don't buy an R4DS. Too many fakes out as it has stopped production.

You can buy an AceKard 2 or AceKard 2i here:
AceKard 2i$19.50 USD, Free Shipping

It's DealExtreme. Lots of people buy from them and it's well worth your money! AceKard 2 is out of stock... But this one is better anyway.

dark_matter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks! I thank I'll go with an AceKard 2i as it seems like a good deal.

One last thing, this does work with a older version of the DS, right. I bought mine when they first came out.

Thanks again!

ShAdOwFuRi

Trophies
XP
Country
We can't be sure that the Acekard 2i is 100% reliable, it simply has not been out long enough for people to decide that. The fact that it has the protruding chip does make it somewhat viable to extra damage. So in my opinion, unless you really plan on getting a DSi, don't go for the Acekard 2i, instead go for the original Acekard 2 since they have the same firmware anyway but only differ in compatibility.

Also, even if you do plan to get a DSi, I would not get the Acekard 2i, until you actually have your DSi, or are obtaining it in the near future. You never know, a new revised Acekard 2i could be released, perhaps one without the protruding chip, much like how the Acekard 2 was replaced with the Acekard 2.1.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
dark_matter said:
Thanks! I thank I'll go with an AceKard 2i as it seems like a good deal.

One last thing, this does work with a older version of the DS, right. I bought mine when they first came out.

Thanks again!
I am pretty sure it is. But you can ask other people of the forums on this. I am not a owner of a DS Phat, but am a owner of a DS Lite. The site says that it is compatible with all DS versions, but you should ask people here to clarify.

luan87us said:
Ak2i is compatible with all DS models. Anywhere else with fast shipping and decent price for it beside DE?
mhm... DealExtreme is the only site with a decent price. I haven't found one at a cheaper price... Sadly... Sorry, as I am in no help.

QUOTE(ShAdOwFuRi @ Jan 12 2009, 11:44 PM)
We can't be sure that the Acekard 2i is 100% reliable, it simply has not been out long enough for people to decide that. The fact that it has the protruding chip does make it somewhat viable to extra damage. So in my opinion, unless you really plan on getting a DSi, don't go for the Acekard 2i, instead go for the original Acekard 2 since they have the same firmware anyway but only differ in compatibility.

Also, even if you do plan to get a DSi, I would not get the Acekard 2i, until you actually have your DSi, or are obtaining it in the near future. You never know, a new revised Acekard 2i could be released, perhaps one without the protruding chip, much like how the Acekard 2 was replaced with the Acekard 2.1.
This is much agreed with. I noticed that the AceKard 2i's price had decreased severely. Chances are, they may have been messaged.

Who knows, Team AceKard may have messaged them saying they may be sending newer versions of the AceKard 2i. I will be more specific and make better choices next time.

Good job with the observation. I will be using this to help me in my suggestions!

Daniel000

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
with the main 4 being named as the carts that people should go for now -

- Cyclo DS Evolution
- AceKard 2i
- M3 Real
- EZ-Flash V Plus

do they all support up to say 4, 8 , 16, 24 , 32 gig sandisk cards?

and do they play say avi files such as a lost episode, and all play music ?

people have been mentioning wifi conectivity... im confused as i dont own a nds but am looking at getting one, what does this mean does it mean the internet or just connection with another DS ?

luan87us

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Daniel000 said:
with the main 4 being named as the carts that people should go for now -

- Cyclo DS Evolution
- AceKard 2i
- M3 Real
- EZ-Flash V Plus

do they all support up to say 4, 8 , 16, 24 , 32 gig sandisk cards?

and do they play say avi files such as a lost episode, and all play music ?

people have been mentioning wifi conectivity... im confused as i dont own a nds but am looking at getting one, what does this mean does it mean the internet or just connection with another DS ?

They all supports sdhc cards.
They don't support avi files but they do support DPG video files, and mp3 but don't count on the quality as the DS wasn't made for multimedia purpose.
Wifi connectivity is available with Wifi enabled games, it allows you to play the game on the WFC (just like the wii) meaning you can play against others on the internet. Also with Slot 2 cartridge you can use the Opera browser to browse the web.
Hope that helps you.

Daniel000

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Ok thanks for that. what has made people go off the R4 ? the kids at the afterskool care program that i work at all pretty much have the R4 and seems to run perfect.. ?

ShAdOwFuRi

Trophies
XP
Country
Daniel000 said:
Ok thanks for that. what has made people go off the R4 ? the kids at the afterskool care program that i work at all pretty much have the R4 and seems to run perfect.. ?

The question is not what has made people go off the R4, but more what has drawn people towards other carts.

The slot 1 cart is simply becoming more and more sophisticated, new features such as RTS, RTC and RTG have become available, thus leaving R4 behind. Also keeping in mind that the original R4 is now out of production and all cartridges made under that name are fakes, meaning they generally lack support.

luan87us

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Daniel000 said:
ah k fair enuf

lol wat is RTS, RTC and RTG ?
RTS: real time save
RTC: real time cheat
RTG: Real time guide

the reason people R4 isn't as popular anymore is because the team stopped production for it and there are you many fakes out there. And also like that guy said there are new cart with more features.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Daniel000 said:
Those kids may just be kids with fake R4s... I doubt that they would be real. They have stopped production and many fakes are still being produced...

QUOTE(Daniel000 @ Jan 14 2009, 06:06 AM) ah k fair enuf

lol wat is RTS, RTC and RTG ?
RTS: Real Time Save
RTC: Real Time Cheat
RTG: Real Time Guid

To be more in-depth with these...

Real Time Save (RTS) allows you to save anywhere in a game. But you won't be using the game's saver, you will be using the flashcart's save system of RTS.
Real Time Cheat (RTC) allows you to enable and disable your cheats during game play.
Real Time Guide (RTG) allows you to read text files during game play. Very useful if you are using walkthroughs.

FlexiPack

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Use? DS games, GBA games, homebrew (not video/mp3 particularly), emulation
Price Range? N/A
Slot 1/2? 1
Built in or expandable memory? expandable
Special features?
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular CycloDS, Acekard 2 or Supercard V3
Other?

Support slot-2 GBA? yes
Support slot-2 rumble packs? maybe
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? not bothered

For slot-2's (ignore if you want a slot-1): expansion pack or its own memory?

Hi folks,

I've just got my first DS (lite) and i've been frantically brushing up on all things flash cart related. I've narrowed it down to 3:
  • CycloDS evolution
  • AceKard 2
  • Supercard V3
There doesn't seem to be much difference in price between them all. Onshop.01media.com the AK is €37.95, the CycloDS €42.95 and the supercard V3 is €35.95. What i've read so far is that the AK is a fair bit cheaper than the Cyclo but the Cyclo is better, but here it's only €5 difference.

What are the main differences (deal breaker differences) between the 3? I've checked the reviews on all 3 and they all look about the same feature wise, they all have 100% nds compatability, DLDI, slot 2 loading, 100% homebrew, touch screen menus, skinnable.

I just want to make sure there's nothing i'm missing? So far i'm leaning towards the CycloDS evolution.

Also if i want to play GBA games i'll need the EZ V 3-1 expansion adaptor no matter which of the 3 flash carts i buy, is that correct?

Thanks for any help!

P.S I'm in the UK, is the Onshop.01media.com a good place to buy from? It's on the 'good' retailers list. This one isn't in the UK but the two that are in the UK don't stock the cyclods.

kai445

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use? Games
Price Range? Under $40 highly preferred.
Slot 1/2? Slot 2. GBA only.
Built in or expandable memory? A memory card would be preferred (I'd like to use a 2GB card if possible, unless there is a card with 2GB built in).
Special features? Good compatibility important. A nice GUI would be preferred. RTS or other features are nice but not required.
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular? No, I'm not familiar enough with older slot-2 cards.
Other? Highly prefer the card to be the size of a genuine GBA game or close to it (the card would be used in an old Gameboy Advance or Gameboy Advance SP, not in a DS/DSL, and I don't want it sticking out huge.)

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
FlexiPack said:
Use? DS games, GBA games, homebrew (not video/mp3 particularly), emulation
Price Range? N/A
Slot 1/2? 1
Built in or expandable memory? expandable
Special features?
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular CycloDS, Acekard 2 or Supercard V3
Other?

Support slot-2 GBA? yes
Support slot-2 rumble packs? maybe
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? not bothered

For slot-2's (ignore if you want a slot-1): expansion pack or its own memory?

Hi folks,

I've just got my first DS (lite) and i've been frantically brushing up on all things flash cart related. I've narrowed it down to 3:
  • CycloDS evolution
  • AceKard 2
  • Supercard V3
There doesn't seem to be much difference in price between them all. Onshop.01media.com the AK is €37.95, the CycloDS €42.95 and the supercard V3 is €35.95. What i've read so far is that the AK is a fair bit cheaper than the Cyclo but the Cyclo is better, but here it's only €5 difference.

What are the main differences (deal breaker differences) between the 3? I've checked the reviews on all 3 and they all look about the same feature wise, they all have 100% nds compatability, DLDI, slot 2 loading, 100% homebrew, touch screen menus, skinnable.

I just want to make sure there's nothing i'm missing? So far i'm leaning towards the CycloDS evolution.

Also if i want to play GBA games i'll need the EZ V 3-1 expansion adaptor no matter which of the 3 flash carts i buy, is that correct?

Thanks for any help!

P.S I'm in the UK, is the Onshop.01media.com a good place to buy from? It's on the 'good' retailers list. This one isn't in the UK but the two that are in the UK don't stock the cyclods.
Yes that is a good place to buy. And you need the Expansion Pack just as you said to run the games. If I were you, I would go with the AceKard 2.

If you are going to use features such as:
Real Time Save
Real Time Guide
Real Time Cheat
Easily Skinnable

Then go for the CycloDS. The AceKard 2 has basic features just like any other flashcart. It's only the SuperCard and CycloDS with those extra features on them.
The SuperCard DS One has some issues that I have experienced such as a laggy touch screen. I wouldn't recommend buying it, but if you are looking into having 3 different flashcarts in one, then the SuperCard is for you.

Supercard is able to load the DSTT, SuperCard, and YSMenu.

Make your decision, which one would you pick? I basically narrowed down the main features of each flashcart. But, there is a better alternative of where to buy some of these flashcarts at a cheaper price:
DealWoot sells the CycloDS for $47.99 USD
DealExtreme sells the AceKard 2.1 for $11.50 USD (But not in stock. Good alternative is AceKard 2i which is compatible with the DSi. More expensive slightly.), the AceKard 2i for $19.50 USD and the SuperCard DS One for $24.22 USD. They also sell the EZ-Flash 3 in 1 Expansion Pack for $18.99 USD here as well.

DealExtreme and DealWoot are probably the best sites to buy these items, but they will probably take some time to get to where ever you are.

QUOTE(kai445 @ Jan 14 2009, 01:53 PM) Use? Games
Price Range? Under $40 highly preferred.
Slot 1/2? Slot 2. GBA only.
Built in or expandable memory? A memory card would be preferred (I'd like to use a 2GB card if possible, unless there is a card with 2GB built in).
Special features? Good compatibility important. A nice GUI would be preferred. RTS or other features are nice but not required.
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular? No, I'm not familiar enough with older slot-2 cards.
Other? Highly prefer the card to be the size of a genuine GBA game or close to it (the card would be used in an old Gameboy Advance or Gameboy Advance SP, not in a DS/DSL, and I don't want it sticking out huge.)
Oohh... This is gonna be tricky... I have like no knowledge on Slot-2 Carts... I will try and research a bit to tell you more...

I found two options that seem nice. And they follow almost all of your requests...
SuperCard Mini SD $18.30 USD
SuperCard SD $25.90 USD

I have no knowledge on these flashcarts, but they follow what you want. It even has Real Time Save! Real Time Guide... Even Real Time Cheat. It seems worth your money. Maybe even ask people around the forums about this for more info.

Also read this from their site:
SuperCard Mini SD
SuperCard SD

Tells you about features and more there!

FlexiPack

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Echo said:
Yes that is a good place to buy. And you need the Expansion Pack just as you said to run the games. If I were you, I would go with the AceKard 2.

Real Time Save
Real Time Guide
Real Time Cheat
Easily Skinnable

RTS and skinnable would be nice but not essential.

Echo said:

I don't know what DSTT & YSMenu are. I shall have to do some reading!

QUOTE(Echo @ Jan 14 2009, 08:47 PM)
Make your decision, which one would you pick? I basically narrowed down the main features of each flashcart. But, there is a better alternative of where to buy some of these flashcarts at a cheaper price:
DealExtreme sells the AceKard 2.1 for $11.50 USD (But not in stock. Good alternative is AceKard 2i which is compatible with the DSi. More expensive slightly.), the AceKard 2i for $19.50 USD and the SuperCard DS One for $24.22 USD. They also sell the EZ-Flash 3 in 1 Expansion Pack for $18.99 USD here as well.

DealExtreme and DealWoot are probably the best sites to buy these items, but they will probably take some time to get to where ever you are.

Those are great prices, I don't mind waiting longer for delivery but I better check to see how much the P&P is and hope customs don't slap a bit extra on.

Echo thanks very much for your help, very appreciated.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
FlexiPack said:
Echo said:

Real Time Save
Real Time Guide
Real Time Cheat
Easily Skinnable

RTS and skinnable would be nice but not essential.

Echo said:

I don't know what DSTT & YSMenu are. I shall have to do some reading!

QUOTE(Echo @ Jan 14 2009, 08:47 PM)

Those are great prices, I don't mind waiting longer for delivery but I better check to see how much the P&P is and hope customs don't slap a bit extra on.

Echo thanks very much for your help, very appreciated.

DSTT and YSMenu are two other firmwares. The DSTT is another flashcart. But many people use the SuperCard DS One and use the Triple Boot OS feature. People then place the DSTT, YSMenu and SuperCard DS One firmware onto the SD Card and have all those firmwares into one flashcart.

I am not much of a abbreviation person... But, what does P&P stand for? Customs...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Imagine putting your butt near it :tpi: