Visit site
XP
Country
United States
cstar said:
Use? Games, homebrew, emulation.
Price Range? 30-50
Slot 1/2? 1
Built in or expandable memory? Expandable. (SDHC, specifically.)
Special features? SDHC
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular M3Real, EDGE.
Other? n/a.

As of now I really can't decide between the two. (M3Real and EDGE). I can get both for the same price ($48), the only difference being one of the suppliers is located in my country. (modchipcentral for EDGE, while gameyeeeah for M3)

I already have an Ezflash 3 in 1, so I don't need the M3's addon slot-2 card.

Also, if someone knows a site with lower prices that also ships to Canada (for either card), that would be great.
Dealextreme.com for the low prices!
wink.gif
Bear in mind though that they are based in China and it takes ~2 weeks from the time you order to the time it arrives.
Both are good carts actually but EDGE is about $7 cheaper at Dealextreme.

Dichotomy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hope my first post on GBAtemp is a good one. I currently have a EZFlash V and looking for something new...EDGE, CycloDS Evo, Acekard RPG, or anything else.

Use?: Games, homebrew, emulation, possibly tinkering with Linux
Price Range?: The sky's the limit.
smile.gif

Slot 1/2?: 1
Built in or expandable memory?: Expandable. Micro-SDHC preferred.
Special features?: SDHC, Cheat codes, Download play
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular: CycloDS Evolution, EDGE, Acekard RPG?
Other?: DLDI auto-patching would be nice, but not necessary

For all slot-1's:
Support slot-2 GBA?: Yes
Support slot-2 rumble packs?: Yes
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)?: Not necessary

Any and all advice is appreciated. Here's to many more posts on GBAtemp!
smile.gif

ndsloser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use: Games, maybe emulator
Price Range: most bang for my buck
wink.gif
if possible but don't want to sacrifice too much quality
Slot 1/2? 1
Built in or expandable memory? Expandable - one with those small SD cards
Special features? don't know what there is
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular: acekard, supercard, cyclo,edge - but I know nothing
Other? one that comes with a card reader and anything else that is necessary

I live in the UK so preferably somewhere that has fast delivery to the UK. So I know nothing about these things and basically want it for games. I'm looking for the best theres is to play games really and the easiest to use. I know there's a lot of posts like this in the thread so I shall be looking back through the pages to see what's reccommended there but thought a new post as things may have changed?? Also, with the cards, any reccomendations on the size? Looking around it seems 1GB is enough but I have read in places that some things require good quality cards, which are these? thanks for any help and sorry if they're stupid questions.
UK

oldskoolnesgamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've modified my requirements. I don't care so much about the GBA games now, I'm more concerned about the NES/SNES emulation. It looks like extra RAM in a Slot 2 card is very useful for the SNES emulator, right? Please recommend everything I'd need, like CycloDS + EZF 3-in-1 or whatever, so compatibility isn't an issue. I don't know much about what cards play nicely together.

I've decided my main priorities are:
1) NES/SNES emulator compatibility
2) DS game compatibility + continuing support for new games
3) Easy to use:
- Built-in patching for DS games if needed
- Easy loading/DLDI for homebrew apps (not necessarily auto, but not super confusing or difficult to figure out)
- Easy backing up game saves, etc.

Use? DS & GBA games, NES/SNES emulation
Price Range? less than $80 for everything preferred, max $100
Slot 1/2? Slot 1 (with slot 2 RAM add-on)
Built in or expandable memory? MicroSD expandable preferred, but not necessary
Special features? NES/SNES saves must work well; SDHC would be nice, but not necessary; RTS a plus, but not necessary;
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular Slot 1: R4, Edge, Cyclo; Slot 2: EZF 3-in-1, SCSD, M3 Perfect, M3 DS Real Rumble RAM Pack
Other? If patching required, auto-patches

For all slot-1's (ignore if you want a slot-2):
Support slot-2 GBA? Preferred, but not necessary
Support slot-2 rumble packs? Not necessary
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? Yes (for SNES emulation mostly)

oldskoolnesgamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ndsloser said:
wink.gif
Slot 1/2? 1
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular: acekard, supercard, cyclo,edge - but I know nothing

I live in the UK so preferably somewhere that has fast delivery to the UK. So I know nothing about these things and basically want it for games. I'm looking for the best theres is to play games really and the easiest to use. I know there's a lot of posts like this in the thread so I shall be looking back through the pages to see what's reccommended there but thought a new post as things may have changed?? Also, with the cards, any reccomendations on the size? Looking around it seems 1GB is enough but I have read in places that some things require good quality cards, which are these? thanks for any help and sorry if they're stupid questions.
UK

I'm kind-of a noob too, but I'd say go with an EDGE if you can find it. If not, then R4/M5. Acekard and cyclo's are both pretty expensive.

Posts merged

QUOTE(Dichotomy @ Mar 14 2008, 12:00 PM) Hope my first post on GBAtemp is a good one. I currently have a EZFlash V and looking for something new...EDGE, CycloDS Evo, Acekard RPG, or anything else.

smile.gif

Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular: CycloDS Evolution, EDGE, Acekard RPG?

For all slot-1's:

smile.gif

Since no one seems to be responding, I'll take a stab at yours too. Again, I have no direct experience with any cards, but I've read about a thousand product descriptions, reviews, and recommendations over the last few days.

Pretty similar to mine, but I think you'll want either the Cyclo or Acekard for Linux. You'll need a Slot 2 expansion card for RAM, just like I will, so your best bet is probably what I'm leaning towards too, which is the Cyclo + 3-in-one combo. I might go cheap, but you've already got an EZ Flash V, so you've already gone that route.

ndsloser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for the reply, it seesmt he edge probably would be the best choice as it is the cheapest and all that. Couple more questions if anyone reads this. Firstly are there any major downsides to the EDGE that could potentially put me off that I haven't stumbled across? I know they seem difficult to get hold of, when/if in stock at deal extreme, how long does worldwide shipping usually take, any ideas? and finally is a SD card like this suitable: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2396 , would the 1gb version be enough for games (not really sure how big they are tbh) or any better reccomendations? thanks for any help

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The biggest downside to the Edge right now is probably the fact that you can't update the cheat database (or rather nobody knows how the cheat database is encoded). It's only a big deal if you want to use cheats and it doesn't already have cheats for the game(s) you want. Also, if you have cheats enabled, every time you run a game, the firmware asks you whether you want to enable cheats for that game or play the game without cheats, which seems a little annoying (it should just use cheats if you have them enabled for the game and not use them if you have them disabled for the game).

The only other drawback I can think of is that they're a little hard to come by right now, so you'll probably end up paying more for one than you should.

The DSTT is another decent low-cost alternative, but not without its drawbacks also.

-Bri

wiithepeople

^^didn't play it that much, but I love it =D
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Dichotomy said:
Hope my first post on GBAtemp is a good one. I currently have a EZFlash V and looking for something new...EDGE, CycloDS Evo, Acekard RPG, or anything else.

smile.gif

For all slot-1's:

smile.gif

I think you should get AKRPG or DSTT with EZFlash 3-in-1. AKRPG is really expen$ive but it works the best with the 3-in-1 plus it has 1GB of built-in memory AND accepts microSD/microSDHC cards. DSTT will not work as well with the 3-in-1 but is way cheaper and accepts SDHC. I think it's that carts other than EZFlash V and AKRPG only allow one rumble setting or something like that and..something else, I forget
shy.gif

ndsloser said:
wink.gif
Slot 1/2? 1

UK
If you are only doing games and emu, 1GB or 2GB microSD cards should suffice. 1GB holds 20-30 games while 2GB holds about 40-60. Quality microSD's are Kingston Japan cards (look for it to say CO1G or CO2G on the card) or basically any Japan made card. Some slower Taiwan made cards freeze on Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin and a few others. If you're thinking about features, there are tons. However some offered by carts like the Cyclo but not by some others such as the R4 are: slo-mo gameplay, real time save (save anywhere in any game), multiple save files, etc. If you want quite a few features get the Supercard DS1 SDHC, if you want some more such as slow-mo, plus a great team backing it up get the Cyclo. If you don't care about those features get the EDGE.
QUOTE(ndsloser @ Mar 14 2008, 05:52 PM)
thanks for the reply, it seesmt he edge probably would be the best choice as it is the cheapest and all that. Couple more questions if anyone reads this. Firstly are there any major downsides to the EDGE that could potentially put me off that I haven't stumbled across? I know they seem difficult to get hold of, when/if in stock at deal extreme, how long does worldwide shipping usually take, any ideas? and finally is a SD card like this suitable: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2396 , would the 1gb version be enough for games (not really sure how big they are tbh) or any better reccomendations? thanks for any help
what bri said, plus yeah that microSD would be fine (really cheap
smile.gif
). Also just fyi 1GB holds 20-30 games depending on which games you put, and 2GB holds 40-60. But, I have a 1GB and I have about 25 games but I don't even play most of the games on there. So, even if you do think you might need a lot, it's hard to play that many games.

Urziel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Use? Homebrew progs as well as: BackUps of NDS, GBA, GB, GBC, NES, SNES, MP3, Video
Price Range? Lets just say I dont consider it...
Slot 1/2? 1
Built in or expandable memory? I would appreciate expendable
Special features? Anything I can get but I would appreciate SDHC, download play and extremely necessary for me RTS!!!
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular CycloDS, used to like R4 but now I kinda have cold feet, someone said something about EDGE and Supercard (is that how they call it?)
Other? I guess that was about it... EDIT: oooh wait someone said something about reading stuff (books and comics) on his DS

Support slot-2 GBA? Yes if need be
Support slot-2 rumble packs? Not my thing to be honest
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? Would be nice
tongue.gif

Thanks in advance guys
wink.gif

oldskoolnesgamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Urziel said:
Use? Homebrew progs as well as: BackUps of NDS, GBA, GB, GBC, NES, SNES, MP3, Video
Slot 1/2? 1
Special features? Anything I can get but I would appreciate SDHC, download play and extremely necessary for me RTS!!!
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular CycloDS, used to like R4 but now I kinda have cold feet, someone said something about EDGE and Supercard (is that how they call it?)
Other? I guess that was about it... EDIT: oooh wait someone said something about reading stuff (books and comics) on his DS

tongue.gif

Thanks in advance guys
wink.gif

I think Cyclo is the only one with RTS. So if that's a need, then I don't think you have any other option.

Urziel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I was pretty sure that there are some out there with RTS other than Cyclo that is... but I ll have that in mind any other opinions? any comments on my use and other section?

wiithepeople

^^didn't play it that much, but I love it =D
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Urziel said:
Slot 1/2? 1

tongue.gif

Thanks in advance guys
wink.gif
Only carts that support RTS are SCDS1 SDHC and Cyclo. SCDS1 is a lot cheaper but Cyclo has more features such as able to have slow-mo gameplay. You decide, btw both of those fulfill all your other requirements. Also for GBA and RAM get the EZFlash 3-in-1.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
wiithepeople said:
Urziel said:
Slot 1/2? 1

tongue.gif

Thanks in advance guys
wink.gif
Only carts that support RTS are SCDS1 SDHC and Cyclo. SCDS1 is a lot cheaper but Cyclo has more features such as able to have slow-mo gameplay. You decide, btw both of those fulfill all your other requirements. Also for GBA and RAM get the EZFlash 3-in-1.

Actually, the SCDS1 DOES have Slow-mo, but not that many people realize it, because there's some stuff to download and all. Also SCDS1 has more features. Cyclo's still worth it though.

Wrightboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use? Games, homebrew, vids, mp3, the works basically
Price Range? as low as possible
Slot 1/2? 1
Built in or expandable memory? Not exactly sure what this is...
Special features? don't really care too much, SDHC would be nice, but w/e
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular Cyclo Evo, SuperCard, R4.
Other? Want maximum compatability for trimmed games and full download play support...

Support slot-2 GBA? Yes
Support slot-2 rumble packs? don't care
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? would be nice

Still sorta new to all this...so pardon any stupid errors...
Also I was wondering, the EZ 3 in 1, will that work with like any cart to play GBA games, or...w/e?
But yah, basically just want to know what I need for...everything
tongue.gif

~wright

Oh yah, I was also wondering about MicroSD cards...what's the deal with like...getting ones from japan or something, is there a difference?

Sokonomi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ok folks, I hope im doing this right.
tongue.gif

I dont like asking about it because on my first card search (R4DS) I got flamed down to my shoelaces
unsure.gif
but the first post looked friendly enough so ill give it a shot.

Use? Priority 1 would be ROMS, Priority 2 Homebrew. I have better facilities for Movies/Music.
Price Range? Anything really. Im after the god of flashcards this time.
Slot 1/2? Slot1
Built in or expandable memory? Must be SDHC, I love ScummVM.
wink.gif

Special features? Instant Saving (if reliable), ability to skin menus, WTC and multicard support.
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular The Cyclo Evolution kinda caught my eye.
Other? One thats known for fequent kernel updates/upgrades.

Support slot-2 GBA? Ive got an EZflash 3-in-1, so support for that would be nice.
Support slot-2 rumble packs? ^^
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? ^^

Right, so what would you guys reccomended for me?
blink.gif

oldskoolnesgamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wright: The class 6 SDHC cards are generally considered to be faster than the Kingston MIJ cards. The Kingston MIJ cards are faster than the Kingston MIT (Taiwan) cards. My card suggestion for you would be Cyclo + 3-in-1.

Sokonomi: I think you already know that Cyclo Evo is the way to go. Updates, RTS, etc, all stellar.

hakuisme

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, my boyfriend and I are finally planning on getting some flashcarts (after my DS and G6 Lite were stolen xp). We both are looking for different things, so I'll list both criteria.

For Me
Use? Games.
Price Range? Anything.
Slot 1/2? 1
Built in or expandable memory? Built in
Special features? Download play, Wii-DS linkage
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular I'm near dead-set on getting an Acekard RPG, but that's because I don't know much about any other alternatives and if they're reliable, good quality, etc. I would have considered a G6DS Real but I hear they're not in production anymore. Are there other good flashcarts out there with Built in memory?
Other? As long as there's continuous support, I'll be happy
yaynds.gif
If I do end up getting an Acekard, which slot-2 pack should I get, and would it work well with whatever will be suggested for my boyfriend? And vice-versa?

Support slot-2 GBA? Yes
Support slot-2 rumble packs? Preferably not. Best if I could turn off the rumble if whatever expansion pack I get has it.
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? Doesn't matter.

EDIT: my boyfriend decided to add some details to his criteria, so refer to my later post, which about three posts down.

For my boyfriend:
Use? Games and homebrew
Price Range? Preferably $50-ish range, but not really a big factor
Slot 1/2? 1
Built in or expandable memory? Expandable
Special features? Can play a bunch of emulated stuff, like Genesis games, SNES, ScummVM
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular DSTT, M3 DS Real and possibly the Edge. Between them, what are each of the cards' advantages over the other? I've read the reviews but don't seem to see much of a difference between them. I've also read in earlier posts that the M3 DS Real can brick a DS. Is that still an issue? Or has it been fixed?
Other? Does the RAM expansion really help for things like Genesis and SNES emulation?

Support slot-2 GBA? Yes
Support slot-2 rumble packs? Yes
Support slot-2 RAM (web browser)? Yes

rest0re

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
i want to buy flashcard that will run all the games. right now. then i want it to sing to me. and take my
dog out. and i wanna play emulated n64 games and post at gbatemp.net

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ROFL LMAO
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I hurt ancientbois feelings
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You wouldn't remove your teeth?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But his mouth is stuck on your meat
    +2
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    AN SOFA
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I had a power nap woke up with so much gas it's awesome
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    holy shit why do i have 19 notifications?!
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    AND WHY ARE SOME OF THEM BUNDLED UP REACTIONS TO POSTS?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Cause I maybe, maybe clicked like a few times.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You're as loved as much as Juan now enjoy it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm sorry for the insult
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    the difference is i like wario and samus and he likes muscle mommies and feet
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait, i forgot wizards too
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have a buddy that has a moonshine still and he makes his own shine. He brought me a jar of some peach shine/brandy, shit is damn good. Gonna have to see if can get more.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    careful that shit don't make you go blind
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh that's only if you drink what first comes out when distilling, you must throw out the first part of it when it starts running. (Its called the "head(s)" of the run) Or use it for fuel or a general purpose cleaner
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If alcohol would've made @BigOnYa blind by now it would have
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    So True.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I should make a poll for bigonya to change his username to DrunkOnYa
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's my alt
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't wanna go to the store someone go for me
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Call my wifey, tell her pick up stuff on her way over.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pick up my door dash meat me in the allyway
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wifey is busy, so ill send my buddy @AncientBoi , in his gimp outfit. "who ordered the 6" sausage?""
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like subway it's false advertising
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like subway it's false advertising +1