OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DSatisfied said:
I have a CycloDS and am thrilled with it-- have recommended a CycloDS for a family friend, too, and she's happy with it. But suddenly people are coming out of the woodwork and are asking me which is the best no-frills card on the market.

For someone purley looking for Slot-1 and loading ROMs, what's the best card in the 'sweet spot' of price-to-performance? The Cyclo isn't what I'd call the "sweet spot", so I'm wondering if there'a an alternative.
DSTT or EDGE as they are both very cheap (the cheapest prices for them are on Dealextreme).

QUOTE(theman69 @ Mar 4 2008, 07:56 PM) Hi i lost my White DSL a while ago with my G6L
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
angry.gif
angry.gif

now i want to buy another DS and flashcart, do i need to flash it or just plug in a cart and it runs.... please suggest a cart w/ build in memory like the G6L i dont want to be looking for a micro sd as well thanks in advance ^^
use the code plz. I don't know what you want the flashcart to do
huh.gif

Death50

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use?games
Price Range? 40?
Slot 1/2?1
Built in or expandable memory? micro sd kind
Special features? black cartridge?
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular both cheap and good one with good updates
Other? no recurring annoyances maybe

so which flash cards are both cheap and good?
is it the DSTT or EDGE that was just mentioned?

tinymonkeyt

GBAtemp brat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mmmhmm
both are cheap
dstt isnt all that good with organizing and the GUI (i dont know how to word this)
but its fast at loadin games, if thats what youre looking for
the edge is only a bit more expensive
but it has many features like the cyclo
except for like realtimesave, slowmo, and a few other not necessarily components

damnitimlost

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey Guys,

I just got a TTDS for my DS Lite and it works great. However, I didn't realize that i required a separate slot-2 solution to play GBA games. What is considered to be the best Slot-2 solution for this case? I am looking for maximum compatibility and speed. Homebrew is not really my top priority. Additionally, it would be great if this solution had some kind of microSD expansion, but this is not really necessary. My price range is up to $100. Please assist.

thanks,

SG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
OK, I'm going to get one for my wife. She is a techno-phobe so...

Use?Games only.
Price Range?Lower the better, but not at the sacrifice of compatibility with ROMs. I live in the UK.
Slot 1/2?1
Built in or expandable memory?Expandable preferred but not essential - depends how many NDS games it can hold if it's not expandable.
GBA compatibility?Nope.
Special features?Ease of use is essential. I've never used a flashcard and it's for the wife who is not very good with technology so a simple interface and ROM loading ability is a must. Download Play support is important too, as our daughter and I all enjoy multiplayer together.
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particularWell, the R4 is getting a lot of publicity so I guess that's easy to use. Someone else recommended the Cyclo. My guess is that those better informed (e.g. the GBATemp crew) know far more than casual news articles though.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
damnitimlost said:
Hey Guys,

I just got a TTDS for my DS Lite and it works great. However, I didn't realize that i required a separate slot-2 solution to play GBA games. What is considered to be the best Slot-2 solution for this case? I am looking for maximum compatibility and speed. Homebrew is not really my top priority. Additionally, it would be great if this solution had some kind of microSD expansion, but this is not really necessary. My price range is up to $100. Please assist.

thanks,

There is no need for a slot2 to have microSD expansion since the GBA games are stored on the slot1 device (the expansion cart has enough internal memory to temporarily load one game from the slot1 device).

The Ewin Expansion 2in1 works with the DSTT/TTDS using the GBA Loader or GBA ExpLoader. And it's around $10 - $15. The EZ 3in1 also works. Both will also work as memory for the Opera Browser.

-Bri

ninjistics

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I'm looking for a flashcart that supports SDHC memory cards, besides M3DS Real, my ds doesn't seem to like those..
Any recommendations?

damnitimlost

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bri said:
damnitimlost said:
Hey Guys,

thanks,

There is no need for a slot2 to have microSD expansion since the GBA games are stored on the slot1 device (the expansion cart has enough internal memory to temporarily load one game from the slot1 device).

The Ewin Expansion 2in1 works with the DSTT/TTDS using the GBA Loader or GBA ExpLoader. And it's around $10 - $15. The EZ 3in1 also works. Both will also work as memory for the Opera Browser.

-Bri

Thanks for the response! Would the M3 Perfect Lite or G6 Lite be an alternate solution that also works with my TTDS?

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
groovemeister said:

Use?Games only.
Price Range?Lower the better, but not at the sacrifice of compatibility with ROMs. I live in the UK.
Slot 1/2?1
Built in or expandable memory?Expandable preferred but not essential - depends how many NDS games it can hold if it's not expandable.
GBA compatibility?Nope.
Special features?Ease of use is essential. I've never used a flashcard and it's for the wife who is not very good with technology so a simple interface and ROM loading ability is a must. Download Play support is important too, as our daughter and I all enjoy multiplayer together.
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particularWell, the R4 is getting a lot of publicity so I guess that's easy to use. Someone else recommended the Cyclo. My guess is that those better informed (e.g. the GBATemp crew) know far more than casual news articles though.
R4 might be a good choice, but I must tell you, it's now considered out of date, and it's starting to lose its popularity. EDGE and DSTT are cheaper, but just as good.

If you're going to use micro sdhc, R4s can't take them., while DSTT and EDGE can.

wiithepeople

^^didn't play it that much, but I love it =D
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Death50 said:
Use?games
Price Range? 40?
Slot 1/2?1
Built in or expandable memory? micro sd kind
Special features? black cartridge?
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular both cheap and good one with good updates
Other? no recurring annoyances maybe

so which flash cards are both cheap and good?
is it the DSTT or EDGE that was just mentioned?
DSTT, EDGE, M3 Real, SCDS1 SDHC are all good and cheap solutions. If you want black cart, get the M3 Real or EDGE as DSTT and SCDS1 SDHC have white carts. EDGE is cheaper though, it's about $7-8 less, so that is what I suggest.
groovemeister said:

Use?Games only.
Slot 1/2?1
GBA compatibility?Nope.
I would say R4 as that is the supposed "noob cart" because it's so easy to use
tongue.gif
but it's now pretty obsolete.
That said, EDGE or DSTT are the best for the cheap factor if you want to go expandable.

However, there is a built-in solutions that works well: the F-card. I can't find the 1GB version, but if you want 2GB that's there. A 2GB microSD costs ~$17 anyways, so a DSTT or EDGE plus $17 is about the price of a F-card. Built in memory is faster causing some games to run more like the commercial carts rather than a little laggy, but for carts that support microSD, the memory can be changed to fit your needs, in case at first you don't have enough or have too much.

Just so you know, 1GB holds 20-30 games, depending on the sizes of the games. 2GB will hold double that, or ~50 games.
QUOTE(ninjistics @ Mar 7 2008, 05:29 PM)
Hi, I'm looking for a flashcart that supports SDHC memory cards, besides M3DS Real, my ds doesn't seem to like those..
Any recommendations?
DSTT or EDGE maybe since their cheap and work well. If you want a more accurate answer use the code in the OP
wink.gif

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
damnitimlost said:
Thanks for the response! Would the M3 Perfect Lite or G6 Lite be an alternate solution that also works with my TTDS?

Those are slot2 flash carts, which isn't really what you want (you want a simple GBA expansion cart). A GBA expansion cart allows your DSTT slot1 cart to run GBA games (and the DS Browser). Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that slot2 carts are obsolete, and you definitely don't need one since you have the DSTT. It's possible that some of the slot2 carts can be used as GBA expansion carts, but even if you could I'm not sure why you'd want to -- slot2 carts cost a lot more than GBA expansion carts and they won't have any advantage that I can think of.

So...you want an Ewin 2in1 expansion or an EZ 3in1 expansion. The Ewin has more memory (better for use with the DS Browser and maybe better for playing GBA games), and the EZ3in1 has a built-in rumble (the rumble sounds cool at first, but the EZ's rumble is apparently loud and distracting, eats up your batteries, and only works for like 6 games).

If you're really intent on blowing an extra $85, I can take PayPal donations.

-Bri

damnitimlost

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bri said:
damnitimlost said:

Those are slot2 flash carts, which isn't really what you want (you want a simple GBA expansion cart). A GBA expansion cart allows your DSTT slot1 cart to run GBA games (and the DS Browser). Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that slot2 carts are obsolete, and you definitely don't need one since you have the DSTT. It's possible that some of the slot2 carts can be used as GBA expansion carts, but even if you could I'm not sure why you'd want to -- slot2 carts cost a lot more than GBA expansion carts and they won't have any advantage that I can think of.

So...you want an Ewin 2in1 expansion or an EZ 3in1 expansion. The Ewin has more memory (better for use with the DS Browser and maybe better for playing GBA games), and the EZ3in1 has a built-in rumble (the rumble sounds cool at first, but the EZ's rumble is apparently loud and distracting, eats up your batteries, and only works for like 6 games).

If you're really intent on blowing an extra $85, I can take PayPal donations.

-Bri

Thanks for the help Bri, you've been great. I'm going to with with the Ewin per your recommendation.

cstar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Use? Games, homebrew, emulation.
Price Range? 30-50
Slot 1/2? 1
Built in or expandable memory? Expandable. (SDHC, specifically.)
Special features? SDHC
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular M3Real, EDGE.
Other? n/a.

As of now I really can't decide between the two. (M3Real and EDGE). I can get both for the same price ($48), the only difference being one of the suppliers is located in my country. (modchipcentral for EDGE, while gameyeeeah for M3)

I already have an Ezflash 3 in 1, so I don't need the M3's addon slot-2 card.

Also, if someone knows a site with lower prices that also ships to Canada (for either card), that would be great.

SG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ojsinnerz said:
R4 might be a good choice, but I must tell you, it's now considered out of date, and it's starting to lose its popularity. EDGE and DSTT are cheaper, but just as good.

If you're going to use micro sdhc, R4s can't take them., while DSTT and EDGE can.QUOTE(wiithepeople @ Mar 8 2008, 01:33 AM) I would say R4 as that is the supposed "noob cart" because it's so easy to use
tongue.gif
but it's now pretty obsolete.
That said, EDGE or DSTT are the best for the cheap factor if you want to go expandable.

However, there is a built-in solutions that works well: the F-card. I can't find the 1GB version, but if you want 2GB that's there. A 2GB microSD costs ~$17 anyways, so a DSTT or EDGE plus $17 is about the price of a F-card. Built in memory is faster causing some games to run more like the commercial carts rather than a little laggy, but for carts that support microSD, the memory can be changed to fit your needs, in case at first you don't have enough or have too much.

Just so you know, 1GB holds 20-30 games, depending on the sizes of the games. 2GB will hold double that, or ~50 games.

@ wiithepeople & ojsinnerz:

Thanks for the replies guys. I wasn't aware that there was any 'lag' with flashcarts at all? How noticeable is this? Are there any vids of lag occuring?

If I am the one loading the ROMs, can I ask how hard is it for her to use DSTT or EDGE?

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I haven't been following the whole thread, so I don't know who "her" is, but both the DSTT and Edge are very easy to use. Just pick the game out of a list and click. If "her" is old enough to play DS games, she should be able to use the DSTT or Edge easily.

-Bri

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, I've used a DSTT, but haven't used the Edge, so someone who's used both may want to respond. Read the reviews of each on this site. There are some advantages and disadvantages of each, but they're both good carts for the money.

I do know that one of the biggest complaints about the DSTT is that its firmware doesn't sort games on your card. In other words, they are presented in a list which looks random instead of alphabetical. Also, folders don't show up in the list, so even though your games may be sorted on the card, they appear as one list on the DSTT (the list could be quite long if you have a large microSDHC card). Hopefully these problems will be fixed in a future firmware update. and there is a homebrew menu called YSMenu that fixes both of those problems (but doesn't yet support download play).

The Edge does sort the roms and can display folders in its firmware. But the DSTT is one of the fastest carts in terms of loading the menu and games. You can add your own cheat codes on the DSTT, while the format of the Edge cheat codes is currently unknown so you cannot add your own cheat codes.

I'm sure there are some other differences as well.

-Bri

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
cstar said:
Use? Games, homebrew, emulation.
Price Range? 30-50
Slot 1/2? 1
Built in or expandable memory? Expandable. (SDHC, specifically.)
Special features? SDHC
Any flashcarts you are looking at in particular M3Real, EDGE.
Other? n/a.

As of now I really can't decide between the two. (M3Real and EDGE). I can get both for the same price ($48), the only difference being one of the suppliers is located in my country. (modchipcentral for EDGE, while gameyeeeah for M3)

I already have an Ezflash 3 in 1, so I don't need the M3's addon slot-2 card.

Also, if someone knows a site with lower prices that also ships to Canada (for either card), that would be great.

EDGE is the better choice. It's MUCH faster, built quality is more solid, and many more advantages.

I wouldn't recommend M3 real, as of now, since it's suffering too many problems. It's menu is slow, and the load times are very slow as well. Although the build quality is decent, most people said that 'it feels like it will break under any pressure'. But I'm very sure that within the near future, the M3 team will fix these problems, but it can take awhile.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: After watching, that I feel like I'm on them already