Possible Wii U specs

lostdwarf

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
The WiiU is built as a fully fledged 3D console. Designed with 3D gaming in mind from the get go.
The WiiU, in terms of graphics, is pumping out 5th generation PS3 game graphics AT LAUNCH!
It ONLY gets better than this.
3D is up for the developer to utilize. They can choose not to develop their games in 3D. 3D support is also only for the TV btw.
Graphics wise, it is a huge step up from the Wii however it is still up to the developer to utilize.
Correct. I saw an early prototype or two and the newest one had a 3D touchscreen. Seems like they found it cheaper not to include that in the end :-(
Where did you get that info?
The Wii U GamePad was never designed with 3D in mind from the start!

I seen it when visiting the Sharp PTDG R&D facillity in Japan.

lostdwarf

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
No, it has 3 cores. The chip is based on IBM power7. It is not actually the power7.
It is a nintendo custom CPU7.
How comes you are so sure?

It may be 3 cores, but then do devs only have 2 and 1/2 cores to work it as the OS will need it's processing power as like the 3DS does.

...The xbox360 has 3 cores... are only 2 available for devs? nope.

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
No, it has 3 cores. The chip is based on IBM power7. It is not actually the power7.
It is a nintendo custom CPU7.
How comes you are so sure?

It may be 3 cores, but then do devs only have 2 and 1/2 cores to work it as the OS will need it's processing power as like the 3DS does.

...The xbox360 has 3 cores... are only 2 available for devs? nope.
The following in-game features, suspend game mode, video chat, browsing the web, real time miiverse, rendering for the tablet? 4th core makes sense and wouldn't be surprised to see it.

Not to mention both Wii and 3DS has had a core dedicated for the OS. Wii U follows the same path not surprising.

lostdwarf

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
Wii doesnt have a dedicated core for OS. Neither does the 3DS. (3DS second core is specifically for WIFI processes)
You dont need a dedicated core for OS, or any of your above mentioned reasons.
3 is plenty.

JN_big3

Trophies
XP
Country
I really hope that the Wii U will have a harddrive. 160-250GB will do for me.

Great idea on having a 8GB storage for WiiWare and Virtual Consoles. I hardly had space on my Wii when I installed OoT and Majora's Mask

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wii doesnt have a dedicated core for OS. Neither does the 3DS. (3DS second core is specifically for WIFI processes)
You dont need a dedicated core for OS, or any of your above mentioned reasons.
3 is plenty.

Yes it does, Wii has two cores, devs only can use one of those cores.

3DS second core is indeed used for network and OS running at the background. OS needs to run for fuctions like streetpass, friendslist and probably a lot more going on such as suspending a game when the home button is press. The part of the OS is still running when the game is booted. It has been said multiple times that the second core is use for the network features and OS for the 3DS.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
The Wii had a system menu, that's it.
The 3DS uses the second core exclusively for smaller things like the camera, the game notes or wifi connectivity for friend online notifications, streetpass, web browsing...
I also want to add that Square Enix confirmed that developers are now allowed to use the extra processing power of the second 3DS core for other tasks besides the ones I mentioned above.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1