Hardware Possible uses of the infrared port ?

pachura

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I find the inclusion of the IrDA port in 3DS pretty bizarre, but let's try to guess what might it be used for ?

1. Exchanging data between two 3DS's when WiFi is not available - possible, but multiplayer gaming would be extremely difficult as both consoles would need to stay still, e.g. lie on a desk in front of each other. Not exactly 'mobile' gaming

2. TV remote - nothing to die for

3. Communication with Pokewalker - not my cup of tea, Tamagotchis are for kids

4. Communication with Wii - now this might be interesting, like Wii's camera detecting the location of 3DS, or just exchanging information (downloading/uploading photos, movies, profiles, unlocking hidden levels). Too bad I don't own Wii

Anything more you can think of ?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I recall the same thing on the GBC, I think datel or a company like that (I saw the device in an EB- real world chain now known as GAME) made a universal remote out of it. I do really regret not picking one of those up though.

I have had a few laptops with IR (mainly rebadged serial ports) although the only thing it was really ever used for was mobile phones, a select few tools, even fewer mice (most IR input devices were PS/2 with a dongle) and masochists who attempted networking with them but now bluetooth (along with wifi and USB these last few years) have stepped on that.

As for multiplayer having had one of the aforementioned keyboards unless they have some serious redundancy built into the device (bandwidth is hardly an issue for such things) or people make a habit of playing between two sides of a faraday cage in relatively dark rooms then wifi will beat it every time.

Best guess- low level transmission, a beacon of sorts or some measure of wii/wii successor functionality.

pachura

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
At which side of 3DS is the IR port located ? If 3DS' cameras do not have IR filters, they should be able to "see" the infrared ray. This could perhaps be used in augmented reality-type games...?

popoffka

Trophies
Website
popoffka.ru
XP
Country
Wii is not able to receive any IR info, it only has an emitter (sensor bar) and a camera that's only able to see an IR light, but not read it's info (wiimote).

Maybe it was there just for debugging purposes and will be removed when 3DS starts selling.

thaddius

Charmander is not pleased.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The GBC used it's IR port to transfer 'Mystery Gifts' back and forth between copies of Pokemon Gold and Silver. It also let the GBC communicate with the Pocket Pikachu 1 and\or 2, for transferring 'watts' and mystery gifts as well.

And yeah, like someone said earlier, the PSP 1000 never used it outside of homebrew.

I don't think there'll be much of a point for the 3DS when you have local wireless and internet access...

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't even know if this can be accomplished via infrared, but I do that tvs communicate with remotes via infrared. So maybe the port can wirelessly display either DS screen on a tv via infrared. (I know, seems unlikely, but just a thought)

Supersonicmonk

Trophies
XP
Country
to send a photo using IR on old phones took ages, imagine having to do the same with video. I'm no expert but I think that TV's are only wired up to select an input using IR

Urian1983

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
An Infrared port? Why do you need an infrared port to send and receive data when you have something that is better?

closedeyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
pachura said:
4. Communication with Wii - now this might be interesting, like Wii's camera detecting the location of 3DS, or just exchanging information (downloading/uploading photos, movies, profiles, unlocking hidden levels). Too bad I don't own Wii
Actually the "sensor bar" is just infrared lights. It just puts out infrared light, and it's the wiimote that has the camera and detects the bar, not the other way around.

EDIT: Late post...

Deathmore

Trophies
XP
Country
pachura said:
Deathmore said:
Quick game set up, like how the IR is used in pokemon black and white

Could you explain a little bit how did it work ?
If you've played pokemon games on DS you know how tedious and time consuming it is to go to the pokemon centre, get your party pokemon, go to the union room but before u do you have save and watch animations until you get into the union room. Then one person would have to not do anything so that (lets call them player A and B) player A can talk to player B and then select trade from the list and then wait for a confirmation.

Now that's a bit tedious for a trade with someone right next to you. It's ok if it was someone who you didn't know and was in a populated place.

In pokemon black and white you recieve the Cgear which becomes the bottom screen. You tap the IR icon and select battle or trade without going to any pokemon centre, and that you can trade pokemon from boxes also. So if you just want to battle one person or trade with one person, you don't need to create a wireless lobby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqfi2mp44UI

3 minutes in the video

qlum

Posting when needed
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
the old gameboy collor had an infrared port you could use it like the link cable in some games for example you could trade using it in Pokemon trading card game and you could get items in Pokemon glod/silver/crystal

lestar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
use the 3ds as a wiimote? infrared, accelerometer, gyroscope, come on, a wiimote with screens XD, maybe some games interact with the wii and play it it and using the 3ds as a controller, because other uses are useless, communication between 3ds we have wireless ad-hoc and Wifi, TV remote controler? so useless, pokewalker communication, only pokemon HG&SS use it and the cart have iR on it, only other use i see is little exchange of information between games, in pokemon B&W in battles says IR side to WIFI and Wireless communication, but i guess only a bunch of game (an scene in the future) will give it a use

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
lestar said:
use the 3ds as a wiimote? infrared, accelerometer, gyroscope, come on, a wiimote with screens XD, maybe some games interact with the wii and play it it and using the 3ds as a controller, because other uses are useless, communication between 3ds we have wireless ad-hoc and Wifi, TV remote controler? so useless, pokewalker communication, only pokemon HG&SS use it and the cart have iR on it, only other use i see is little exchange of information between games, in pokemon B&W in battles says IR side to WIFI and Wireless communication, but i guess only a bunch of game (an scene in the future) will give it a use

Used like a Wiimote? Hmmm. I know the new Batman game on the Wii allows a person to use a DS to play a character, and with the incorporated technology under the 3DS hood could potentially make it like a Wiimote, excluding data transmitted via Bluetooth (unless it has that too).

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1. Local wireless is always available even when online WiFi isn't.
2. Err... no.
3. Possibly, but B/W are not compatible, and the IR sensor for HG/SS is built-in to the game itself already. Unless they did this so flash cart users can connect to a Pokewalker, which I doubt.
4. Maybe, seems a bit of a hassle with not enough reward.

I personally think that it's used to connect to laptops, since a lot of them have IR ports. I guess this is what they give us instead of bluetooth.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.keepretro.com/products/miyoo-a30