Hardware possible to turn off bluetooth transmitter in wii? (Cancer concern)

blueagent004

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Reality is his friend believes this, and no manner of bashing blueagent is going to change his friend's mind

when i found out he had gotten rid of his modem and bluetooth devices, i did not doubt him because when i googled online, i found some articles that mentioned this (the cancer risk) in passing. i was going to throw away the wii (or sell it) if i can't turn the bluetooth chip off, because i did not want to doubt the advice of a cancer survivor, especially since he is family to me.

With the sheer amount of radio waves being transmitted by just about every single device we own, along with radio towers for cell reception and other wireless receivers, everyone is constantly bombarded by radiation. I understand he wants to minimize everything, but unless he is living in a Faraday cage, it's nearly pointless.

Along with everyone else, I recommend your friend seek psychiatric treatment to help combat his fear.

Any wireless device will emit radiation. Whether or not that's harmless to us, well, studies show it isn't. Just like how the whole "A pregnant woman shouldn't stand near a microwave" thing was debunked by science.

there were around 4 other wifi hotspot signals being broadcasted from all the upper or lower adjacent flats in his building, all of them have weak signal strength ranging from having only "two" to "zero" bars of strength, so i guess he was never really concerned about that.

my building is much worst though, and all i could do was turn off my own wifi modem and bluetooth when i am not using them.

If you want to cut out junk food, get more exercise and other such things then that is laudable. Doing it because of an unfounded fear of grollies growing within is bad science and something we need to dispel -- if you are worried about everything then you will not be worried about the things that actually matter.
If you are constantly worried and think every little thing is it coming back or another forming then you often miss the bigger signs of something actually happening, especially if you have already felt like shit for months on end doing chemo or whatever and that is the new baseline. You may then go in and get prodded and poked, blood drawn, waiting for tests... all for nothing and that just sends your quality of life through the floor.

There are three occasions where a relatively normal type of light causes a problem for humans, cancer patients or otherwise.

1) Resonant. Stuff like microwaves at a specific frequency. These excite the water inside an item and thus increase the temperature. This is how your microwave cooks things. This won't happen with bluetooth.

2) Ionising. UV (what the sun produces) up through xrays and gamma rays. If you want the science for this one then look up the energy of photons. http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/cosmos/e/electromagnetic+spectrum
Bluetooth is less energy per photon than visible light.

3) Because it is a massive laser and you shoot it in your eye or slice your arm off.

Certain cancer patients will be given extra things but in that case he would have been given super super suncream (like Zinc Oxide crazy) and probably told actually don't go outside during the day at all if you can.

If you prefer there is a decent chance your mate will have had a MRI during all this. In industry and once upon a time in medicine it was called NMR or nuclear magnetic resonance. They changed it because people got scared because it said nuclear on it, this despite there being no atomic decay radiation involved at all (it is called magnetic resonance for a reason) and instead the nuclear refers to the nucleus of the atom. Worse is it made some people opt for a CAT scan which does involve a decent dose of xrays (as in your doctor will weigh up risks dose), and on top of that is often a lesser form of imaging.

Short version. Learn what radiation actually is and why it troubles biological things.

thank you so much for the detailed information FAST6191! i'll be sure to relay this to him when i see him again.

also his oncologist had ordered another round of MRI for him after his treatment, but he ended up not going because he was concerned with the isotope or something....now i know why.

thanks everyone for the suggestions, i much appreciate all of your help! thank you all so much!

Last edited by blueagent004,
Reactions: OrGoN3 and ACCA919

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-