Hacking Question Possible to setup VPN?

pretend7979

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Something that would enable banned consoles to play with each other remotely? Most games are p2p anyway (if I'm not mistaken) anyway just a thought I was curious about.

c80

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Something that would enable banned consoles to play with each other remotely? Most games are p2p anyway (if I'm not mistaken) anyway just a thought I was curious about.
You mean just like local multiplayer? Sure, this is possible.

c80

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Someone has actually got a confirmed local play setup going over VPN?
No need to confirm this. A VPN is just like a local network. The switch is not able to tell the difference. Just setup 2 VPN routers, one on each site, and you are good to go.

pretend7979

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No need to confirm this. A VPN is just like a local network. The switch is not able to tell the difference. Just setup 2 VPN routers, one on each site, and you are good to go.

I see.. I guess what I mean more specifically is that I have a 20gb VPN connection. I want the switch to connect to that, and users to be able to change the switches network settings to route there instead of Nintendo's network to look for games. What you're saying makes sense too though. I guess I'm not sure how the local wireless in games worked. I thought it was ad-hoc and didn't require a network connection?

pretend7979

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There would still need to be some server side software afaik...?
That's what I was thinking. I'm not a developer, or the understanding to make it work really. But the community is brilliant together, and could make a lot of stuff work. The original Xbox had xlink Kai, so I was thinking something like that.

pretend7979

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mmmh, if it is only possible with an ad-hoc network connection, it may not work that way. Do you have any source that say that a normal network connection won't work? I'm not 100% sure about that.
I don't have any idea. I've only done the local wireless once, and it was ad-hoc but I'm not certain that it can't be done over a local wireless network. If it can, then what you're saying is absolutely possible, and easy.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

With the 360 it was possible to play via VPN too
Never modded my 360 but the fact that it's possible with multiple consoles gives me more hope.

c80

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Never modded my 360 but the fact that it's possible with multiple consoles gives me more hope.
You don't need to mod a 360 for that if you just use a VPN router at each site. This works for all network devices (except maybe if speed or latency is an issue).

pretend7979

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't need to mod a 360 for that if you just use a VPN router at each site. This works for all network devices (except maybe if speed or latency is an issue).
That's interesting. Then just choose the local option. Of course that would work.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
With the 360 it was possible to play via VPN too

Speed/latency was an issue with the 360 -- they implemented a protocol that timed out if you had more than a certain ping rate. Said ping might have got you from one side of a city to the other if using the same ISP but likely no more. If you JTAG/RGH modded said 360 (or actually I think it was just been the host) you could dodge it.

That said nobody has yet confirmed for me, much less actually demonstrated a working setup from what I have seen, that a) the switch uses a conventional local protocol for local play which a conventional network capture means could relay and b) that there is no ping limit in play. That is what I was asking in the first reply I made.

With the total control available to Switch modders then I am sure the ping limit could be removed but that would still be something that needs to be known.

castdreams

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Switch local multiplayer uses a local 802.11 protocol, and doesn't actually require or even connect to any kind of a local network. The Switch consoles communicate directly with each other, just like the DS and 3DS did before it. So no, using a VPN will not magically allow you to play local multiplayer games over the internet.

castdreams

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

c80

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

pretend7979

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Speed/latency was an issue with the 360 -- they implemented a protocol that timed out if you had more than a certain ping rate. Said ping might have got you from one side of a city to the other if using the same ISP but likely no more. If you JTAG/RGH modded said 360 (or actually I think it was just been the host) you could dodge it.

That said nobody has yet confirmed for me, much less actually demonstrated a working setup from what I have seen, that a) the switch uses a conventional local protocol for local play which a conventional network capture means could relay and b) that there is no ping limit in play. That is what I was asking in the first reply I made.

With the total control available to Switch modders then I am sure the ping limit could be removed but that would still be something that needs to be known.
I know that Mario tennis has a ping check when searching for games. If the connection is bad, the game will cancel.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Do I make you randy!!! Lol