Possible to run a USB Loader on vWii without softmodding?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by fafaffy, Jun 28, 2014.

1. fafaffy
    OP

fafaffy GBAtemp Fan

Sep 1, 2012
    United States
    So I want to run some backup games on vWii through my Wii U. However, I don't want to modify any files at all (no homebrew channel or anything). I want to keep it as vanilla as possible.

Saying this, will it be possible to, for example, run Smash Stack and from Smash Stack, load directly to a USB Loader? That way I'm not installing anything, nor am I changing any system files. I know that if this is possible, that I'll have to Smash Stack every time, but I rather do that than change my vWii just in case (being precautious)

2. NWPlayer123

NWPlayer123 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2012
    United States
    The Everfree Forest
    Yes, AFAIK it is possible to just do it like that. (Of course I've never done it myself so I'm probably wrong)

3. markehmus

markehmus GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 26, 2008
    Canada
    in the GAME
    sure the usbloader would run , but without cios how would the games be playable?

... how about runing a sneek loader dol with smash stack to load sneek and play games that way since cios isnt needed ?

4. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    not possible some CIOS files have to be modified for the loaders to actually work. you need to install them meaning overwriting system files. you don't have to install the hbc you can use forwarder channels to access the loaders after wards. but the modified CIOS files MUST be installed.

5. fafaffy
    OP

fafaffy GBAtemp Fan

Sep 1, 2012
    United States
    Alright, thanks for the reply.
    I may not bother with it, then. I don't want to risk a Wii U update that may screw me over, or if I have to send it in for warranty.

6. markehmus

markehmus GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 26, 2008
    Canada
    in the GAME
    so you dont consider sneek an option ?

7. fafaffy
    OP

fafaffy GBAtemp Fan

Sep 1, 2012
    United States
    Oh, I thought when you wrote that, it was just a thought. If it's confirmed to work, I'm definitely up to try it

8. NWPlayer123

NWPlayer123 GBAtemp Addict

Feb 17, 2012
    United States
    The Everfree Forest
    Note to self: read between the lines. I didn't see the "backups" part, you can load single applications like in the homebrew channel, yes (AFAIK), but you're right, that would require a cIOS which would require modifying the system. (Though SNEEK I haven't done anything with so yeah, that might be an option)...I should just shut up and let whoever knows what they're talking about handle it :P

9. markehmus

markehmus GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 26, 2008
    Canada
    in the GAME
    i use HBC for this but this sounds reasonable...

joostin made an okay guide HERE

youll need to run fstoolbox from smashstack to get your nand dump ,
    then after compiling sneek (i prefer uneek as usb loading is just better no matter what joostin says) youll need to load *neek using the boot.dol from the sd.zip via smashstack

10. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    wow talk about complicated it's way more easier just to install the damn CIOS!

11. markehmus

markehmus GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 26, 2008
    Canada
    in the GAME
    indeed.
    but i have really grown to love the safety and uneek features of sneek/uneek/neek2o on both wii and wiiu

12. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I'm pretty sure you can't run anything which require AHB access directly from a game exploit.
    You need HBC or an already installed forwarder channel with AHB bit set. (or do what Hackmii installer does to enable AHB access)

So you can't dump your NAND with FSToolbox without installing HBC.

13. markehmus

markehmus GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 26, 2008
    Canada
    in the GAME
    ahh , okay . i never understood the big deal about wanting mod privileges without modding the console ... just jump in and be careful , but realize life happens modded or not