Possible to play online multiplayer GB games?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Xelnok, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Xelnok
    OP

Xelnok Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 5, 2013
    United States
    I have been looking for a way to play the pokemon trading card game (original GB) game online with a friend who lives halfway across the country. We have tried vbalink and couldn't get it to work.

I was wondering if anyone has been able to find an emulator and successfully play an original GB game with someone online?

If so i could use some advice, what emulators/settings, etc.

Thanks

2. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Well I've only been able to play with myself. I'm sure you would need an actual server, kind of like WoW. But a very small one if it's just the two of you.

3. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    VBALink should work just fine, I've used it various times to play games with a friend of mine a couple states over. Make sure VBALink is allowed through your firewall, and if you need to make sure whatever port it uses is being forwarded.

Otherwise, you could make your own Hamachi server and have your friend connect to that.

Satangel likes this.
  4. pyromaniac123

pyromaniac123 ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็

Sep 24, 2011
    You dirty bastard.

5. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Well I didn't get any offers from you or anyone else on this site, so there.

6. Xelnok
    OP

Xelnok Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 5, 2013
    United States
    Just wanting to make sure this is with the original gameboy, not gba? We actually have tried using hamachi, as well as disabling all firewalls etc.

I do have a new internet provider/router now that i haven't tried using yet.

Everytime we would get to the screen where the game is trying to link our two games it would freeze and we would have to reset.

Xel