Possible to hack + play back ups WITHOUT physical game?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by fooflinger, Mar 2, 2017.

1. fooflinger
    OP

fooflinger Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 2, 2017
    United States
    So I've been reading tons of guides on how to hack and soft mod my Wii U and one thing I've been really confused about is whether or not it's possible to get Homebrew on my Wii U AND play backups WITHOUT a physical copy of a game like Smash Brothers.

Is it possible? I would be really thankful if someone could link or tell me where I could find a guide.

2. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007
    Yes, https://github.com/FlimFlam69/WiiUTutorial/wiki

Pick your poison. You don't need Haxchi, it's just soooo much nicer without the need of booting the loadliine.ovh page each time. Mocha works without the need of Haxchi.

3. fooflinger
    OP

fooflinger Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 2, 2017
    United States
    Thanks for the quick response! Looking over them all now.

4. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007
    Excellent, remember!!! IF you want to use Haxchi. YOU MUST OWN the DS game on the eshop. Don't pirate a DS game to get it to run, because that won't work. Coldboot Haxchi is the more dangerious method incase you are unsure what you're doing. (I still run normal Haxchi to be honest)

5. fooflinger
    OP

fooflinger Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 2, 2017
    United States
    So if I do want to get Haxchi, do I need to follow step 4? I don't quite understand the purpose of RedNAND.

And Coldboot is only if I want to boot it faster essentially?

Last edited by fooflinger, Mar 2, 2017
  6. AecdArmy

AecdArmy Because Its Nintendo

Jan 4, 2016
    The Ninty Ninja HQ
    Rednand is not needed much anymore its just if people want it really and to stop bricks if your stupid.

You can have coldboot which will make the console load sig patches at boot but it can break so I don't recommend it.

7. fowler002

fowler002 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 3, 2013
    Ummm are you trying to hack the Wii u or the Wii art of the Wii u? If it's the Wii u you don't use a physical game, you use a DS VC title like brain training. If it's the vwii you no longer need a Wii game either.