Possible Fix for Y USB Cable Problem

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by e3xtreme, Dec 29, 2012.

1. e3xtreme
    OP

e3xtreme Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2009
    Australia
    Since the Wii U has a very poor USB Power Supply, we could make a connection between the Power Supplies of the 2 USB Ports inside the Wii U without much effort (but opening the Wii U and loosing Warranty)...

So if I'm right the red connection between the USB Ports should solve the problem....
    I'm just asking for a second opinion before actually opening my Wii U and making a TUT.

If somebody has already opened his/her Wii U and has sharper pics than mine, there is also a possibility of changing the Supply IC, but I cant read the text on the ICs

Attached Files:

2. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    Whats the point if you can just use a Y cable. my workaround is to use the front and back USB ports with a Y cable.
    I plug the power only usb connector of the Y cable into the front USB port (yes, the front since it still provides power in WiiMode) and the data/power to the back usb port. problem solved without opening up the Wii U and bridging points.
    I have 1 port open on the back and am using a Y cable.

3. e3xtreme
    OP

e3xtreme Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2009
    Australia
    Y cable is obviously the better solution, but for the more HW-Modding related it is an easy half an hour project without having a cable blocking a port, looking not to good and dont need to get an extra Y cable, just 2 little solder points

4. petspeed

petspeed GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 13, 2009
    What about newer USB3 drives, I haven't seen any Y-cables with mini USB3 connector around anywhere.

5. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
  6. Adr990

Adr990 To boldly go where no man has gone before!

Apr 22, 2007
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    This will give you 10v with 1A, so you will need a resistor duh.
    And only one port should be used if you are doing this..

So this is no solution IMO.

What's with these Y cables and the Wii U anyways?

7. DeadlyFoez

DeadlyFoez GBAtemp Guru

Apr 12, 2009
    United States
    No, it would NOT give you 10v. I think you have your understanding wrong. The OP's idea would work fine. It would be capable of 1A at 5V.

e3xtreme likes this.
  8. DeadMan

DeadMan Member

Newcomer
    Dec 19, 2012
    Serbia, Republic of
    Ekaterinburg
    it's work, but if yo connect anoother USB device in port you use for got the power it's not work, can't got the need power, maybe a good idea is use active USB hub only for power line for USB dvices ? it's more simple

9. e3xtreme
    OP

e3xtreme Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2009
    Australia
    But if you have a less power draining device it doesnt matter at all, moreover the disk needs the power only for a short time while spinning up....

10. petspeed

Nov 13, 2009
  11. e3xtreme
    OP

e3xtreme Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2009
    Australia
  12. winmaster

winmaster Weird Kid Who Still Plays Pokemon

Newcomer
    Jul 7, 2011
    United States
    Here

That's because they are unnecessary. USB3 can supply the necessary power to an external hard disk with only one port.

13. gundalf

gundalf GBAtemp Fan

Sep 26, 2008
    Germany
    Well USB 2.0 also gives enough power for 2,5" external hard-disk, as long those are real hard-disks made for external use, and not those cheapo ones which just come with a regular notebook hard-disks.

14. petspeed

Nov 13, 2009
    That doesn't help much when you connect the drive to a USB2.0 port...

15. Nemesis90

Nemesis90 GBAtemp Fan

Nov 12, 2011
    United States
    It actually does, i can confirm that.

16. GabeCube

GabeCube Member

Newcomer
    Dec 27, 2012
    Brazil
    Or, you know, you could do something even simpler like me, and connect the external hard drive to a powered USB hub that I had lying around from Rock Band and connect that to the Wii U. Works like a charm - using it with a USB 3.0 drive right now, since the end plug is backwards compatible with USB 2.0.

bezem likes this.
  17. DeadlyFoez

DeadlyFoez GBAtemp Guru

Apr 12, 2009
    United States
    When connecting any 'portable' drive (2.5" based drive), to any USB3.0 port, the port will be able to supply enough amps to the drive through a single port no matter if it is a USB2.0 drive or a USB3.0 drive.

That does not matter here though, because the Wii U has USB2.0 ports, so a Y cable may be necessary for any drive, whether it be a USB2.0 or a USB3.0, if the drive needs more than 500mA to operate.

18. Scuba156

Scuba156 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 19, 2010
    I can confirm this. I have a 500gb 2.5 inch external usb 3.0 HDD and while it does work, it unfortunately clicks every few seconds meaning it's under powered. I just picked up a few USB 3.0 Y cables of ebay to test it out

19. mike333

mike333 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 30, 2010
    Poland
    not always
    drive clicks might be caused by head offloading

20. Scuba156

Scuba156 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 19, 2010
    Not when it clicks every few seconds and starts spinning down and does it for as long as the drive is plugged in