Hacking Possible Fix for Y USB Cable Problem

Deleted member 321527

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
I wanted to add I bought a Toshiba Canvio 500 GIG hard drive. The HDD was making a clicking noise when I plugged it into the Wii U. Some might mistake this clicking for a thrashing noise a drive makes at the end of its cycle but its different. After reading this thread and others I went with the adapter below on Amazon from the seller eForCity

A to Micro-B USB 3.0 Y Cable, Black

http://www.amazon.com/eForCity-Micr...&keywords=A+to+Micro-B+USB+3.0+Y+Cable,+Black

Not sure if I can post that link to another site or mention sellers by name, honestly I should of read the TOS for GBATEMP...

The end result is it WORKS and I wanted to chime in with my specific successful example.

SUM

Thomas83Lin

Retro Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.thomas83lincodes.com
XP
Country
United States
Just to be clear, that cable is USB 2.0 which should work fine with the WiiU, it will operate at USB 2.0 speeds when plugged into a PC as well so I'd suggest not using that cable with a PC.
Yea i figured that. I have multi 2.0 and 3.0\2.0 usb hard drives. I got it so i can use it on whichever hard drive on the wiiu.

e3xtreme

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Finally did the Mod, it took only 1 hour to do that,

Just look for a disassembly video on Youtube then perform following connections:
2013-01-31 00.35.47.jpg
2013-01-31 00.35.29.jpg
2013-01-31 00.36.20.jpg

Be sure to use a thin cable (but not too thin) for the connection, else the black plastic frame with the screwholes will not fit anymore. Transformer wire is best.
The soldering is not much of a problem but the disassembly and reassembly is a lot of work, but you can get rid of the aluminum and just reassemble the whole wii U without it. This way you have access to the whole mainboard with about 10 screws.

For those that dont know why to do this at all: If you use an external USB powered HDD (or other device) that doesnt work because of power reasons, this will help using the power of the 2 USB ports at the same time. An adapter also does the same but this way every HDD works on every Slot and the second slot can also be used for another device

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.