PS1/2 Possibility of Tales of Destiny DC English Patch

kazenadama

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey all, I know how doomed this game has been since A0 dropped it, and that this is a long stretch.

I know a group of people who are willing to translate the game and do whatever means necessary to bring this game to English. Our problem--we lack a skilled hacker and programmer, and PS2 Tales are quite notorious for their weird formats. Because of this, it's beyond our ability to hack the game and create a patch.

We are looking for a starting point in the hacking side of things. Whether it's someone who has interest in doing it and taking up the task, or who can at least give us some starting advice. None of us are savvy when it comes to programming, so at this point, anything at all would be helpful!

Our potential project members are passionate fans of Tales who love Destiny DC and other unlocalized Tales games, and have worked on various small scale translation projects for Tales in the past. We'd love to see this game make it to a Western audience, and are really hoping to start somewhere with it!

Please reach out to us if you are interested!

--

Feb 15, 2021 update:

We have commenced work on this project, and are no longer recruiting for it. We will show off progress when we are able to, and we are excited to make this a reality. Please stay tuned!

Last edited by kazenadama,

kazenadama

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't have had to make this post if Absolute Zero was any help. They won't share their tools or any progress they've made on DC--and they've made their stance clear that they don't think Tales needs fan translations anymore. So we have no choice but to start from scratch.

On a small update however, we may have at least had some luck with getting scenario text extracted, but are still very much troubleshooting things.

Reactions: Deleted User

maryong

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
ahhh i see, but stormyu is doing tales of rebirth translation by himself but i think he won't give any help to another project. i am just an ordinary tales of series fanboy especially to tales of destiny so i can't give any help to you, so sorry brother

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

but i ever see someone create tales of destiny DC menu patch at some website, his name omega tempest if i am right

kazenadama

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm aware of them--but unfortunately they are also not viable options at the moment. I appreciate you trying to help out though. We're still figuring stuff out, but hopefully I can have a more concrete update on the status of things later.

maryong

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I'm Indonesian but i really love the game maybe i can help in some editing translation phase or beta tester, i really wanna help you even just a little thing. Hope you can make our dream come true my brother

Bornofdreamers

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's great to hear this has been picked up by someone. Sad that Omega Tempest can't help, they seemed very adamant about creating a translation for this, wonder what happened, I also noticed they removed the youtube videos they created of the translation for this game. I'm involved in game development and would be happy to help if theres anything I can do, let me know

kazenadama

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, sorry for the late response (I read this but didn't realize I forgot to respond, sorry!)

Unfortunately I'm not sure what happened with OmegaTempest. As for your offer, are you savvy with any kind of programming? We could use any kind of help trying to use the tools a Russian team provided for text extraction and re-insertation, and if anyone can make progress with those, it would be very welcome. As we get further along, we will be able to specify in what areas exactly we'll need more help. But for now, out first priority is finding someone who can help with the text.

Can I ask what skills from your game development knowledge that you think might be able to help with hacking and or helping with the patch? We'd love to have more hands on board when it's time, and would definitely appreciate some knowledge in the field. I'll keep this in mind for the future.

If you think you can help with ripping scripts and the re-insertation part, then feel free to DM me now.

jv_jardim

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
One question: Has anyone tried to reach out to BamCo in any capacity to tell them about the interest of the fans for a ToD remake translation? They're really listening to fans in the last few years and bringing quite a lot of stuff overseas. I think this is super worth it.

raze2012

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure some people have. But I don't think 2d localizations are a high priority for them as of this moment. To my knowledge, they haven't brought an English version of any 2D game over since they moved to 3d games.

Bornofdreamers

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So Kazen has their been any progress? I'm willing to help out is there a way I can reach you perhaps? Discord? I'll also send you a DM but I don't check that much on here.

kazenadama

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like raze2012 mentioned, there are definitely a lot of us who reach out to bamco when the opportunity arises to bring the 2D games over. However, they are a hard sell in this day and age... Unless a remaster happens, I don't see it happening. Even then, there's no guarantee.

As far as progress, none to really update yet. We're still having people try various things with the tools to get the text properly. Once we pass this hurdle, I will be able to give an update and more clear answers on how things stand. Until then, I'm sorry there's not much to report. But we will try our best to make it a reality.

Justinde75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I really hope the community can get this project going. I know there were some previous attempts but those were either left alone or canned. I really would love to play ToD DC because I really dont like the ps1/snes combat. The one from DC looks alot more appealing. Wish I could help somehow but I sadly lack any skills for those sorts things

Last edited by Justinde75,

RisingPhoenix05

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I made an account on this forum specifically because I found this thread Googling Tales of Destiny DC ISO's. I'm a programming major in college, and I'd love to try my hand at this because I love the series and I remembered the hype I had around Absolute Zero back in the day, as well as the Tales of Vesperia PS3 patch. I would love to learn how to use these tools posted. I may not be competent enough yet, but I'd love to participate in the multiple endeavors on this site.

deltamirage5

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Complete newbie here just like the user from above. I am also a programming major like him/her and I'm also willing to contribute if we can have a collaboration for this project. I am, for my own assessment, not competent in doing low-level programming but I am willing to learn given I learn what direction I need to focus on.

PS: Really love this game and I finished the PS1 version with friends a long time ago (plus tales of eternia) and I think its time I give back to the community for the fun I had with english-patched games I've played before.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ninty can still make money filing false DMCAs.
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    they need to have a strong line up on the launch titles too. I think they should move metroid prime 4 to the next console because by now it has been quite a while and there's no release date scheduled yet
    lol there's a guy selling mig switch in usa on ebay for $200/ea he's definitely going to get nailed with dmca by tomorrow
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Wasn't Metroid Prime 4 teased all the way back in 2017? For the switch no less?
    :rofl2:
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Pretty sure anyone buying the switch just for that got duped
    for $200? rofl.
    well as far as metroid prime 4 is concerned, the next system probably is similar enough to the current gen they can probably easily just slap it onto a next gen cart and call it good :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The switch was about 350 in 2017
  • Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0:
    mabe where you live
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima took the stage at the outset to reveal that Switch will launch globally on March 3, 2017 for $299.99—earlier than some had expected at the price many suspected. https://time.com/4632820/nintendo-switch-nx/
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    The NES launched at like 250 and the rob and light gun kit was like 350 or something
    I was near the test market for the NES and man did it make my 2600 look like ass lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    There has to be some mutual agreement with them all anything over $600 is just pc territory
    next system rumored to launch at $400
    but I don't really believe any rumors yet
    need to have official info from N
    The 3DO and Neo Geo where like 700 bucks hmm the PS3 was stupid expensive at launch lol
    But at least the PS3 was only 500 for the cheapest one at launch
    My opinion is that 199.99 is the sweet spot but that spot is long gone lol
    Just played some Micheal Jackson Moonwalker.... Those poor parents trying desperately to protect their children
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    400 is a decent sweet spot if we get enough out of it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's not like how it was when we were locked down to a few options and that's it
    For me just buying a Pi and some accessories fills that not a PC void new consoles have just put them close to PC prices and all the patching and updates makes me feel like I might as well just get a PC
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: For me just buying a Pi and some accessories fills that not a PC void new consoles have just put...