Gaming Portal 2 early release?

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
portal-2-countdown.jpg
On Steam's Portal website, aperturescience.com, there is now a countdown clock set to hit 0 at 6:50 GMT. What could this mean? Is it an early release of Portal 2? This idea could be supported by the fact that we got to pre-download the game early.

The Countdown
NEW Help Release Portal 2 early - could this be real?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
I wonder about it. I've seen a number of sites-that-must-not-be-linked that have started putting up posts for the console version of Portal 2. I haven't tried downloading it myself yet because I figure it's probably just a fake, but still... is the official release just around the corner?

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Originality said:
I wonder about it. I've seen a number of sites-that-must-not-be-linked that have started putting up posts for the console version of Portal 2. I haven't tried downloading it myself yet because I figure it's probably just a fake, but still... is the official release just around the corner?

Man I only pre-ordered on Gamestop because I have so many gift cards. I'm not sure if they would release it early though? It's still dangerous to piss off retailers even in the digital age.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Feels Good Man said:
This was in my blog.

I'm guessing Portal 2 would be part of the ARG. Or Portal 2 will unlock when the last ARG is solved.

I sure hope not cause i don't have all those games.... that would be unfair...

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wizzerzak said:
Feels Good Man said:
This was in my blog.

I'm guessing Portal 2 would be part of the ARG. Or Portal 2 will unlock when the last ARG is solved.

I sure hope not cause i don't have all those games.... that would be unfair...
Valve clearly cares, as one of the clues in the ARG was placed I think it was in the Netherlands, outside a shop, and the only way to reach them was to climb 10 feet up some sort of pole pole onto a storefront on a busy street. The only hints were a sack of potatos and an arrow carved on a potato pointing upward. Could you get at that either?

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Satangel said:
Well the 360 version is already floating around, but not in the way Valce would like it to float....

Leaks of physical media isn't surprising. You have to manufacture those a month in advance to produce and ship to retailers. Whether Valve would piss off Gamestop/Bestbuy and digitally release their game earlier than on retail is a gamble.

Also shouldn't the topic title be changed. It's REALLY misleading at this point.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
doyama said:
Satangel said:
Well the 360 version is already floating around, but not in the way Valce would like it to float....

Leaks of physical media isn't surprising. You have to manufacture those a month in advance to produce and ship to retailers. Whether Valve would piss off Gamestop/Bestbuy and digitally release their game earlier than on retail is a gamble.

That's a good point, maybe they'll release it early because they know there's already a leak.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
When the countdown finished...

glados.gif

And then redirected to here.
http://www.aperturescience.com/glados@home/

It appears to be saying that the more people buy/play the games, the faster the boot sequence will be. As usual with viral marketing this only half makes sense, since boot times are usually a limited by storage media, not processing power... if the boot image was compressed it'd need to be uncompressed, but you'd need a lot of RAM to need to do that much uncompression on boot.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
After a bit of googleing i also came across this which seems very, if not too, obvious...

edit: rydian beat me to it. but i can't understand how the timer has already finished for you... i've still got 1 hour 31 mins left...

edit2: nvm just refreshed the page and it seems to have finished early.... maybe that new page is just a red herring and something else will happen at 6:50 sham i'm not gonna be here, have to go out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Cool. I got Prime