Hacking [Poll] Gateway 3DS or CFW (RxTools)

Should I stay or switch?

• Total voters

clock

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
To answer your questions
1. You can install any cia. There are legit cias and regular cias. Read the sticky for more info
2. Yes
3. Yes

If you have a GW, you might as well use it. Although Rxtools now supports autoboot from startup, which is awesome

CFW and GW support the same stuff. Except GW supports .3ds files, region free, and region free dlc. Apart from that, they are the same

Sorry if this sound noob but does CFW (rxtool/cake/reinand) not support regionfree cia/dlc? I'm new to CFW things and was going to install CFW on my n3dsxl but now maybe I will stick with GW.

samiam144

Régulier
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry if this sound noob but does CFW (rxtool/cake/reinand) not support regionfree cia/dlc? I'm new to CFW things and was going to install CFW on my n3dsxl but now maybe I will stick with GW.
It doesn't on its own (currently), but it can be bypassed with multipatcher or NTR 3.0 + language plugin

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
You should add a third option "both" because its possible to run GW/RxTools beside one another.
This is the best option if you have already spent money on a Gateway card. Have games you'll play often/more than once as CIAs and games you just want to try out on your Gateway. Plan to use Gateway all the time but if you leave your card somewhere and accidentally run out of battery or want to play a DS game then you can boot into CFW as a backup option.

If you don't already have a Gateway then CFW all the way. Unless you have a lot of money to burn. It's a bit like spending $30,000 on a very nice car that has all the features you need (CFW) or spending $150,000 on an incredibly nice car that still has all the features you need plus can go a little faster and is that little bit shinier. For 99% of people it is not worth the extra money. If you already have a shiny fast car, it would be silly to scratch off the finish and knock parts out of the engine (having a GW and not using it when it doesn't reduce your options in any way).

Last edited by Quantumcat,

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CFW's are now the future, looks like GW is gonna have to pull something out of there deck of cards to wow the crowd or else its loss of revenue for them. Either defend there work from dwtwo plus or start producing more features to make it worth buying the card....so far its not working out.

Reactions: Quantumcat

andzalot55

I'm very delicious. mmmm.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is the best option if you have already spent money on a Gateway card. Have games you'll play often/more than once as CIAs and games you just want to try out on your Gateway. Plan to use Gateway all the time but if you leave your card somewhere and accidentally run out of battery or want to play a DS game then you can boot into CFW as a backup option.

If you don't already have a Gateway then CFW all the way. Unless you have a lot of money to burn. It's a bit like spending $30,000 on a very nice car that has all the features you need (CFW) or spending $150,000 on an incredibly nice car that still has all the features you need plus can go a little faster and is that little bit shinier. For 99% of people it is not worth the extra money. If you already have a shiny fast car, it would be silly to scratch off the finish and knock parts out of the engine (having a GW and not using it when it doesn't reduce your options in any way).

I really just want GW to release an offline GW mode for the 2DS without OoT, CN or an android device. Is it too much to ask from the GW team?!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
@andzalot55
For your particular use case I would recommend switching to rxTools at least for the time being, it's a lot less hassle.
However, since you have a Gateway cart already, I suggest that you put games you just want to try out on the Gateway and install games you are going to spend more time on as CIA. It takes forever to install CIA files so if you are not that interested in a game or you're only planning on playing it infrequently/a few times, it might not be worth it installing it as CIA.

You can go back and forth between the two at will since they share the same emuNAND.
Once Gateway releases a themehax compatible update, you can easily switch back if you want and keep using all your CIA installs in Gateway Mode.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: Quantumcat

andzalot55

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@andzalot55
For your particular use case I would recommend switching to rxTools at least for the time being, it's a lot less hassle.
However, since you have a Gateway cart already, I suggest that you put games you just want to try out on the Gateway and install games you are going to spend more time on as CIA. It takes forever to install CIA files so if you are not that interested in a game or you're only planning on playing it infrequently/a few times, it might not be worth it installing it as CIA.

You can go back and forth between the two at will since they share the same emuNAND.
Once Gateway releases a themehax compatible update, you can easily switch back if you want and keep using all your CIA installs in Gateway Mode.

I don't mind re-installing .cia files even if it takes a long time. It'll only concern me is with saved files and certain games that are region locked.

KashiToxicBlood

how2hakpls
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Okay. What makes AHP better than RxTools?
first of all it doesn't have a crazy GUI menu where you can't find anything. There is a dump emunand and sysnand and restore function, there is an NCCH decryptor that doesn't corrupt the cxi it also has the 7x key built into it. not to mention it's more straight forward and clean, plus AGB works fully on n3ds, it's great

andzalot55

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
first of all it doesn't have a crazy GUI menu where you can't find anything. There is a dump emunand and sysnand and restore function, there is an NCCH decryptor that doesn't corrupt the cxi it also has the 7x key built into it. not to mention it's more straight forward and clean, plus AGB works fully on n3ds, it's great
I'm surprise this is not public.

D

Deleted User

If you have Gateway then i recommend you to use Gateway. They make updates regularly and will soon come with cheats support soon.

andzalot55

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the votes and replies on this thread everyone. :) I've decided to get RxTools but I will keep my Gateway 3DS just for future uses if anything was to happen. Since I am going to switch over to RxTools soon, this one question bugs me right now; How do I convert .3ds save files into .cia save files for savedatafilter (since some of my games are .3ds files?)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Thanks for the votes and replies on this thread everyone. :) I've decided to get RxTools but I will keep my Gateway 3DS just for future uses if anything was to happen. Since I am going to switch over to RxTools soon, this one question bugs me right now; How do I convert .3ds save files into .cia save files for savedatafilter (since some of my games are .3ds files?)
https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutoria...v-to-eshop-3ds-3dz-with-savedatafiler.380246/ :)
Best do it one game at a time, and write down the saves that are already done, makes it easier to keep track of. You can use http://3dsdb.com to find the title ID of your game (you'll need it for renaming the .sav), and the process is made a lot quicker by using MicroSD management so that you don't have to keep taking out the SD card to rename the .sav (on o3DS you can install this as a CIA file that you can find on the ISO site)

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o