Homebrew pokeSlow - Gen 1 Virtual Console Pokemon Editor

udelgadochio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi! So far everything is great I love PokeSlow but I'm having trouble specifically with my charmander that always goes to level 1 no matter what after withdrawing from box in the game, any solution?

xJoelituh

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hi! So far everything is great I love PokeSlow but I'm having trouble specifically with my charmander that always goes to level 1 no matter what after withdrawing from box in the game, any solution?
Tbh, Pkhex got updated a while back and allows any Pokemon Game, from rby to sm, so you should use that

zaksabeast

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice utility! Could you add a .cia and a QR Code for CFW users? :).
And a simple GUI would be nice, after first use I got confused :unsure:.

How do I get this as an icon/app on my New 3DS? Or am i being thick...

This app was more of a for-fun time project. For custom firmware users, the kantoNTR plugin is much more usable and will work easier/better. Please read the wiki to see the features!

Tbh, Pkhex got updated a while back and allows any Pokemon Game, from rby to sm, so you should use that

PKHeX is definitely a better alternative. SciresM also has Rhydon that you may like as well, which is smaller than PKHeX in case you were only looking for Gen 1 edits.

Reaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm getting an error: Error opening bankgb
Then my whole system freezes. On N3DSXL, I tried installing vanilla BankGB but can't open that either.

TimX24968B

"That guy"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
About pokeSlow:
pokeSlow is an open source homebrew (GitHub here) that uses @Gocario's PHBankGB to edit Pokemon. I created this in my spare time within the past week as a stress reliever. My goal was to quickly make a first generation Pokemon editor for the 3DS (I decided to speedrun my coding like I do my games as a way to test myself). As such, I decided to edit PHBankGB's box 1 data as a way to easily access the Gen 1 VC Pokemon.

Optimizations can be made and more boxes can be edited with modification to the code, however my goal was to just create an easy editor in a short period of time, and that goal has been completed for now.

What pokeSlow can do:
- edit the species, attacks, level, IVs, and EVs of Pokemon saved in the first box of PHBankGB's bank.
- Import a Gen 1 .pkm file located on the SD card at "/pk/bank/pokemon.pkm".
- convert all Pokemon in the first box to Slowpokes for nothing more than pure amusement.

pokeSlow also creates a backup of PHBankGB's bank file upon loading in the same directory called "bankgb.bak". In case of error, revert to that.

Main Menu:
pokeSlow uses a text based user interface with the following options on the main menu:
  1. Change a Pokemon's Species
  2. Change a Pokemon's Attacks
  3. Edit the Level of a Pokemon
  4. Max a Pokemon's IVs
  5. Max a Pokemon's EVs
  6. Convert All Pokemon to Slowpokes
  7. Import pokemon.pkm from SD
  8. Exit
Use the D-Pad to choose an option, and the "A" button to select it.

A Note About Gen 1 IVs and EVs:
In the first generation, IVs only go up to 15, and EVs go up to 65535 each (about 255 squared). Unlike future generations, EVs can each be maxed, instead of the 510 point limit per Pokemon.

Glitch Pokemon - I don't recommend this
There have been problems with editing Mew into the game. My theory is this has to do with Mew's coding in the game, as it wasn't coded like a regular Pokemon. Due to this, any attempts to change a species to Mew will result in a Rhydon.

The alternative to get a Mew is using the pokemon.pkm injector with a Mew obtained from a save. Getting a Mew from the Mew Glitch won't result in a bad Pokemon, because of the way the Mew is called into battle (unlike Missingno). This can be done on the VC games. A copy of the 1999 Toys R' Us NA Mew (backed up from a cartridge) can be found attached. Remember to rename the attached Mew to "pokemon.pkm" and place it on the SD card where the PHBankGB's bank file is ("/pk/bank/").

With this feature, those experienced enough can get a GlitchDex. Though, please don't try this if you don't have knoweldge on the various glitches in the game, as some are extremely dangerous.

Disclaimer:
I'm not responsible for any damage done using this homebrew; always keep a backup. This was a "just for fun" project that I figured others may like to use as well.

Side Note:
I definitely listened to the First Pokemon Movie's theme while coding much of this, as well as the Third Movie's theme to get me pumped for Johto Classics.

Updates:
v1.0: Initial Release
v1.0.1: Fixed a Memory Error
v1.1.0: Added the ability to import a Gen 1 .pkm from the SD, and disabled editing a species to Mew

Credits:
Thanks to @Gocario for PHBankGB, xem for the fun 3DS Homebrew Tutorial on GitHub, and the Citra development team for their emulator, Citra.
oh hey, a "3DS BASED" pokemon editor that ISN'T LIMITED... if only some people could learn how to unlock true editing potential (*cough cough PKSM cough cough*)

(please don't yell at me for that previous sentence)

but disregarding that last sentence, This looks pretty good so far, I just wish I had a 3ds gen 1 game to use it with. You CAN still edit EV values beyond that limit in later games, its just deemed "illegal". However, it might be interesting to see how the pokemon bank update handles glitch pokemon (if it does, at least, and doesn't just cheap out and say "wtf is that thing? that's not coming in here.") Anyone know when that update drops?

Trophies
Country
Canada
Well I guess I'll revive an old thread since I do need some help. Whenever I boot poke slow from HBL, I get 2 errors.
Error opening bankgb and error opening save file.
I bought Red and Blue from the eShop.
I am on 11.4 Luma and a9lh.
I have Luma3DS latest nightly build.
I beat both games so I don't see why I have an error opening the save files and I have no idea what the bankgb is. It also says to press start to exit, but that just freezes my New 3DS XL.

zaksabeast

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I guess I'll revive an old thread since I do need some help. Whenever I boot poke slow from HBL, I get 2 errors.
Error opening bankgb and error opening save file.
I bought Red and Blue from the eShop.
I am on 11.4 Luma and a9lh.
I have Luma3DS latest nightly build.
I beat both games so I don't see why I have an error opening the save files and I have no idea what the bankgb is. It also says to press start to exit, but that just freezes my New 3DS XL.

Hey there! PokeSlow wasn't necessarily meant to be used very much. It was just something fun I decided to do to relax by seeing how fast I could make it.

If you'd like to edit gen 1 Pokemon, I would advise against this and use PKHeX instead.

If you're interested, there are some other gen 1 tools in the making for 3ds usage. I've heard a gen 1->7 homebrew is in the works, and a gen 1 ntr plugin based on CollectorTogami/ItsProfOak's lua script for vba-rr.

This thread should really be closed however - it really serves no purpose. However thank you for asking! :grog:

Trophies
Country
Canada
Hey
Hey there! PokeSlow wasn't necessarily meant to be used very much. It was just something fun I decided to do to relax by seeing how fast I could make it.

If you'd like to edit gen 1 Pokemon, I would advise against this and use PKHeX instead.

If you're interested, there are some other gen 1 tools in the making for 3ds usage. I've heard a gen 1->7 homebrew is in the works, and a gen 1 ntr plugin based on CollectorTogami/ItsProfOak's lua script for vba-rr.

This thread should really be closed however - it really serves no purpose. However thank you for asking! :grog:
Hey thanks for the message. But do you know a way to convert .dat to .sav for editing purposes?
Also I have a .sav from an emulator from my pc that I would like to convert to a .dat since that's the RBY VC save format.

Stitchu

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
kevledev.fr
XP
Country
France
Ok, I will try again.
Your .sav save, which emulator is it ? Can you open it with Visual Boy Advance ?
In Visual Boy Advance, you can export the true game save with File > Export > Battery file. You will get the same file format as the VC Game.

Trophies
Country
Canada
Ok, I will try again.
Your .sav save, which emulator is it ? Can you open it with Visual Boy Advance ?
In Visual Boy Advance, you can export the true game save with File > Export > Battery file. You will get the same file format as the VC Game.
The battery file kish a .sav and not a VC .dat file...

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hands free vr