Pokemon Prism Rom Hack gets C&D'd by Nintendo

ss+(2016-12-21+at+12.20.14).png

It looks like Nintendo is going after fan games again. Earlier this year, Nintendo sent cease and desist letters to two fan games that used Nintendo properties; Pokemon Uranium and AM2R. But it looks like NOA isn't quite done shutting down fan projects this year, as renown romhacker "Coolboyman" has received a C&D for all of his romhacks. Not only has his completed but unreleased hack called Pokemon Prism been targeted, but Rijon Adventures and Brown must also be taken down to avoid legal pursuit. (Of course the latter two have been distributed over the internet many times, so it's pretty much a nonissue.) Last week also saw Konami issue a C&D to a Castlevania 1 remake in Unreal Engine. It's a sad, harsh lesson to everyone that those who wish to create fan projects should not generate hype, but instead quietly release their works and then promote them after the fact. Pokemon Prism was the result of 8 years of Coolboyman's work, and will now likely not see a release.

:arrow: SOURCE

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at sonic retro, there is tons of rom hacks there, not one to my knowledge is being targeted, but then the same thing happened to Bombergames Streets of Rage Remage game, Chrono trigger Crimson echos, and even the chorno trigger resurrection, while some rom hacks change from minor things like gameplay, sprite change to color pallet or character, or full scale game based on original concept into a new one, or just a translation, i don't understand why SOME games are ignored and some are not.

Pokemon, yes, is a very big deal to nintendo as it the game "You all keep buying for the past 20 years" But it makes sense i would thing, unlike the dozens of sonic genesis, super mario, nes and snes, and the SOR Remake, chrono trigger and some translation projects, which has not gotten any attention to their series for over 2 decades, get sudden problems with fan projects and property holders with stuff like this.

All i can understand is that nintendo and gamefreak reserve rights to the title and assets and anyone using them without permission is not allowed and has been target while the same stands for sonic and SOR games by sega and they are not any different from what i know.

There are many types of intellectual property and quirks with all of them.
The big two for games are copyright and trademarks, some do patents but that gets tricky as the US and Japan recognise that software can be patented where most of the rest of the world finds it a disgusting concept and opposes it heavily whenever a company/law maker floats the idea.

Copyright protects the work as a whole and individual elements thereof (the graphics, the music, the script, the videos, the level layouts....) from being copied without permissions. As many hacks will be using their own original works (or at least those of some other copyright holder) and get distributed as patches then it gets tricky to do anything about it. There are ways, most notably derived works, but that gets very tricky, very quickly and would ultimately have to prove damages. Also yes that would mean translations of the original Japanese script would fall under this, for a related series of actions see when subtitle sites came under fire for just that reason.
It is also when the makers of medabots, robopon, demi kids, yokai watch and all the others can make a game that is clearly inspired by pokemon but as they don't use the levels, music and whatever else it is all good.

Trademarks are a different matter. You register them every ten years but you can do so indefinitely. The prevent others from using the name, logo likeness and more. The idea being to prevent confusion among the general public as to what is a legitimate item from the original creators and what is something else. A key part of almost every place that has a trademark setup is genericide. This being when you allow people to use the trademark name without slapping them down or getting them to buy a license or something then a judge may well declare that you have failed to maintain control of it and the trademark is no longer valid. They don't have to go hunting round every small hack site there is for such things ( https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/...-require-companies-tirelessly-censor-internet ) but when you stream it on popular channels and get traction on some of the main news sites for the consumers of the work it gets tricky. That it was pre release is even better as lawyers dislike pissing into the wind as much as anybody.
If you allow fan games to flourish you risk having it said that you no longer uphold the trademark and can lose it. This is bad for as much as Sega have let Streets of Rage languish in recent years it is still a mega popular franchise and work in their stable and their entire business is having things in their stable.
The extent and, barring the script stuff I mentioned, type of the change matters little when compared to "selling" your work and making it appear somewhat like a legit game in the franchise -- the pages used words like official and had all artwork and the like, fun as you like to make and play with but does cause lawyers to get excited. If it had been released as just another level hack we would probably be having this conversation for something else, though it would probably not have been as popular and though popularity is not something I seek I can see others wanting it.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a world outside of the US, just so you know.

-ise is the primary spelling throughout Commonwealth countries, and in many non-English speaking nations when using English.
Nope. Don't buy it one bit. It wasn't Nintendo in Europe that would be sending the notice. It would be NOJ or NOA.

Edit: and of course, I look back and the second sentence says "we act on behalf of Nintendo of America..."

Last edited by urherenow,

Townsperson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope. Don't buy it one bit. It wasn't Nintendo in Europe that would be sending the notice. It would be NOJ or NOA.

Edit: and of course, I look back and the second sentence says "we act on behalf of Nintendo of America..."

Acting on behalf of NoA does not mean the person who wrote the C&D is American.

Not to mention the letter mentions Australia...

Last edited by Townsperson,

darklordrs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He's not going to be facing legal anything. He didn't leak it.
Assuming he was making this solo, either he leaked it or some motherfucker is a very good hacker, and I don't think anyone interested in Gameboy romhacks is nearly smart enough for the latter.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
He's not going to be facing legal anything. He didn't leak it.

it was his responsibility to not let it get out once he got the c/d.
he's very likely to get in touble for it, if only for as long as it takes to prove he didn't leak it, which is going to cost him a pretty penny if nintendos lawyers want that.

ItsKipz

l33t hax0r
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it was his responsibility to not let it get out once he got the c/d.
he's very likely to get in touble for it, if only for as long as it takes to prove he didn't leak it, which is going to cost him a pretty penny if nintendos lawyers want that.
nope. if he didnt directly leak it (which he didnt, it was another member of the team) then he cant get in trouble for it.

munchy_cool

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Assuming he was making this solo, either he leaked it or some motherfucker is a very good hacker, and I don't think anyone interested in Gameboy romhacks is nearly smart enough for the latter.
quoting the 4chan leak thread

"Someone I know on a hacking-lifestyle IRC chatroom has given me a leak that he has gotten of said romhack. After testing the validity of the files I am sharing it with you folks of /v/. Share it, save it do whatever is possible to keep it alive and make sure it is as widespread as it can be. "

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Guys, did you get that it's not nintendo directly doing this, but someone hired for that? Nintendo don't even know about it to have a idea like " wow lets officialese it" like people dream doing stuff like that pokemon urainum ...
Funny how sega used like " yes it was nintendo and we are better, post your romhacks for us! muahhaha" hahha XD these marketing people...

Anyway, I liked the project but hey, it obviously illegal, nothing more to expect using trademarked names, hacking game content... To start with, why not just releas eit? but wanting to get popular first? this wa sa stupi idea.. I know they just wanted to be more know... but as far much other romhack that where released on the go , at least where played before shutting down (if had lol)

I think their only ways to release it now are:
-Changing the title and just uploading it, so people can have it this time lol
-upload and run .. they know his now name anyway hahah
-Making it a total "new game" from it using the pokemon s as base but not it's name.
maybe they can "save" the project with this... just replace the actual pokemon for new creatures and give it(the project and the "monsters")a new name xD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/vKQN3UiNNHY?si=fP6ZlFe-DhQf9SW7