Pokemon Prism Rom Hack gets C&D'd by Nintendo

ss+(2016-12-21+at+12.20.14).png

It looks like Nintendo is going after fan games again. Earlier this year, Nintendo sent cease and desist letters to two fan games that used Nintendo properties; Pokemon Uranium and AM2R. But it looks like NOA isn't quite done shutting down fan projects this year, as renown romhacker "Coolboyman" has received a C&D for all of his romhacks. Not only has his completed but unreleased hack called Pokemon Prism been targeted, but Rijon Adventures and Brown must also be taken down to avoid legal pursuit. (Of course the latter two have been distributed over the internet many times, so it's pretty much a nonissue.) Last week also saw Konami issue a C&D to a Castlevania 1 remake in Unreal Engine. It's a sad, harsh lesson to everyone that those who wish to create fan projects should not generate hype, but instead quietly release their works and then promote them after the fact. Pokemon Prism was the result of 8 years of Coolboyman's work, and will now likely not see a release.

:arrow: SOURCE

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
It looks like fan games with nintendo ip need to stay underground/unnaounced until release and then quickly spread until hopefully its relatively easy to come by once c+d.

Reactions: jastolze

Mr.ButtButt

The Cancer Of Gbatemp <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, the Mother 4 fan game might be C&D'd, too.
Mother really belongs to Itoi, and he's stated plenty of times in the past that he doesn't care about people making fan games

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Mother really belongs to Itoi, and he's stated plenty of times in the past that he doesn't care about people making fan games
and no nintendo assets are used other than the name "Mother"

Deleted member 377734

100th degree asskicker
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
8 YEARS ! he's supposed to let 8 years of his life go .........just like that , Nintendo , this has to be one of the biggest dick moves you ever made , anybody who read my article knows that the castlevania project deserved to be shut down . but this ??? . screw them , if I were him (which i'm not ) i'd pretend to comply , wait a while till the heat cools down , then quietly leak it to a torrent site .

Deleted member 377734

100th degree asskicker
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Maybe next time you mention a release date, you release it a month early... I don't know.
That would be a smart move , but even smarter would be not mentioning a release date at all . I kinda doubt that he's gonna release another rom hack after this though .

munchy_cool

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That would be a smart move , but even smarter would be not mentioning a release date at all . I kinda doubt that he's gonna release another rom hack after this though .
well why even mention it , just release it on a place like here and its going to be popular overnight ...release when it's night in Japan :D

Reactions: HaloEffect17

Deleted member 377734

100th degree asskicker
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
well why even mention it , just release it on a place like here and its going to be popular overnight ...release when it's night in Japan :D
I don't think gbatemp will allow it , there are some very strict rules against piracy on the temp . while discussing it is fine , actually proving download links to it would be a fast track to a ban .

Reactions: HaloEffect17

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Tandem even
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    Yeah I think Nvidia s future lays in AI GPU acceleration stuff if they can get that going it's going to be super interesting in the long term
    AI assisted game creation might become a thing
    At least that's something I think would be pretty cool.
    Don some VR glasses and gloves and talk to the computer and paint entire worlds
    "OK Cortana I want that mountain a little taller and more snow on top, and I would like some random ancient pine forest around the bottom"
    "Now we need a spring fed river flowing down the north side and add some wild life appropriate for the biome"
    Many TBs of assets and the programming of something like that is going to be tough but I think it's something we might see in 20 years maybe sooner
    @Psionic Roshambo AI assisted game creation is kinda already here, there was recently that AI that can turn any 2D image into a fully modeled 3D object, it's not perfect, but it's a starting point, beats starting from zero
    before that there was one to generate a fully modeled scene from a 2D image
    but most recently, there was one that actually generates a working unity scene with terrain and textures already set up that you can import right into unity, that's a huge time saver right there
    and using LLMs to generate NPC dialogue and even dynamically generated quests is something i'm sure is already happening
    will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: will just take some time for games made using those things to be completed and released