Pokemon Prism Rom Hack gets C&D'd by Nintendo

ss+(2016-12-21+at+12.20.14).png

It looks like Nintendo is going after fan games again. Earlier this year, Nintendo sent cease and desist letters to two fan games that used Nintendo properties; Pokemon Uranium and AM2R. But it looks like NOA isn't quite done shutting down fan projects this year, as renown romhacker "Coolboyman" has received a C&D for all of his romhacks. Not only has his completed but unreleased hack called Pokemon Prism been targeted, but Rijon Adventures and Brown must also be taken down to avoid legal pursuit. (Of course the latter two have been distributed over the internet many times, so it's pretty much a nonissue.) Last week also saw Konami issue a C&D to a Castlevania 1 remake in Unreal Engine. It's a sad, harsh lesson to everyone that those who wish to create fan projects should not generate hype, but instead quietly release their works and then promote them after the fact. Pokemon Prism was the result of 8 years of Coolboyman's work, and will now likely not see a release.

:arrow: SOURCE

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Or you could look at how they have treated their developers, their suicidal actions, and ect, taken note of the wild and sudden changes in behavior after a important persons have died (and its always after someone dies) and maybe you'd be as paranoid as I am. Its destroyed a lot of things I like, and I'm not happy about it.
What are you talking about? Nintendo has always acted like this. They have a long history of shutting down fanworks of all kinds (Super Mario Bros. X comes to mind) and being particularly tough on piracy and issues of intellectual property; such actions certainly did not start (or even become significantly more common, I would argue) after July 2015.

Also it's good to know that "things you don't like" = "suicidal actions".

Reactions: zfreeman

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Love how much more attention Nintendo ended up bringing to the game. I never play Gen1/2 rom hacks and was paying attention to lots of other gaming/anime related things but the C&D made Prism catch my eye and now I've been hooked onto it all winter break. The Announcement -> C&D -> Leak cycle never fails to blow up a fan work's publicity.

Last edited by 2ndApex,
Reactions: ItsKipz

Cha0tic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Love how much more attention Nintendo ended up bringing to the game. I never play Gen1/2 rom hacks and was paying attention to lots of other gaming/anime related things but the C&D made Prism catch my eye and now I've been hooked onto it all winter break. The Announcement -> C&D -> Leak cycle never fails to blow up a fan work's publicity.

There needs to be more imo gen 1/2 hacks are my favourite I hope prism inspires more gen 1 and 2 rom hacks.

Reactions: Xiphiidae

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There needs to be more imo gen 1/2 hacks are my favourite I hope prism inspires more gen 1 and 2 rom hacks.

Same, I used to stay away because I find it hard to play Pokemon games without the newer quality-of-life features but because of all the ASM work made possible by the Pokemon Crystal disassembly Pokemon Prism is pretty much a Gen 6 game.

The nice thing is that GB/GBC mods are a lot more portable too, I can play Prism on a graphing calculator :3

Last edited by 2ndApex,

darklordrs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
..dismissive post snip?

I have been doing nothing but trying to directly address all the problems people on this thread appear to have with Nintendo and trying to get people to understand that it isn't so simple an issue as 'they killed something I liked, so now Nintendo should burn to ashes'. Your anger is only justified if you fully understand something, and if you don't, try to.

Reactions: osaka35
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Stop making fan games! You can concentrate your efforts into something that is inspired by whatever franchise, and not infringe on any trademarks, and can even monetize the game legally if you want.

Take that castlevania remake, for example. We really need a new 2D castlevania and not that generic action game lords of shadow bullshit. Bloodstained isn't coming out any time in the next decade, so that would have been perfect. Hell, join forces with am2r team and we might have had another symphony of the night, maybe something better.

Stardew Valley? They could have called it Harvest Moon or Rune Factory Lite, but they didn't because that would be stupid, and tbh that game is better than anything Natsume has shit out in the last 20 years or so.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.