Gaming Pokemon Global Link Question

Gruntykins

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm curious whether or not you can fully access and use Global Link with a ROM version of Black or White, which leads to my actual question of whether any knows if it can potentially work the same way with Black or White 2 when that comes out and English ROMs are available. Google turned up basically nothing.

For the record, I'll be getting Black 2 anyway, but I prefer the ROM and emulation approach so that I can go between PC or DS as I please, as well as using PokeGen and the likes.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Yes but they're limited to DS-mode Wifi, meaning WEP or no security, and all the usual DS limits. We have no reason to believe B/W2's english release won't be the same as the japanese (ds-mode).

There's tools you can get that let you back up and restore save files on actual carts, by the way.

Gruntykins

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes but they're limited to DS-mode Wifi, meaning WEP or no security, and all the usual DS limits. We have no reason to believe B/W2's english release won't be the same as the japanese (ds-mode).

There's tools you can get that let you back up and restore save files on actual carts, by the way.

I figured I'd only be able to access Global Link promotions, such as the Genesect giveaway at launch, on the DS using its Wi-Fi, so that's cool.

So to play devil's advocate, what's the incentive then to buy the game if people who just download the game and use something like an R4 can access all the Official giveaways and downloads? You'd think they would be able to detect illegitimate games and deny them these things.

Gruntykins

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A lot of in-person giveaways use the cart's IR, actually, not Wifi, so there's no way those can work directly.

Fair enough. By the way, can you point me into the direction of the tools for accessing your retail cart mentioned prior? That sounds like something I'd much rather do than having to use an R4 and potentially a ROM.

Thanks for the help by the way, I appreciate it.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
S'cool.

There's two ways to go about it. The first way can be done on a flash cart, but only works on the original DS and the Lite, using homebrew.
http://projectpokemon.org/forums/showthread.php?16601-How-to-Backup-Restore-your-retail-cartridge-save-file-(D-P-Pt-HG-SS-B-W-Nearly-any-other-DS-game)

The second way is dedicated hardware to hook the cart into your PC.
http://www.r4ids.com/index.php/en/ds-backup-gold

Gruntykins

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The second option "looks" easier and more broadly compatible. Assuming that's the recommended route?

EDIT: Hmm, more google'ing turns this up: http://gbatemp.net/topic/322617-ds-backup-gold-review/

Think I'll just take the convo over there, as what's being discussed here now doesn't match the thread title.

Cuber

Trophies
Website
mytgn.co.uk
XP
Country
A lot of in-person giveaways use the cart's IR, actually, not Wifi, so there's no way those can work directly.
I've only heard of the IR events being done in Japan my self... the in person gen 5 event here in the UK (Which I think there's only actually been 1...) used the local wireless thing.

kpanthony

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I live in Georgia and all of the Pokemon events I went to held at Gamestops were done via wireless.
As for Wi-Fi events, even flashcarts can participate the events, but any events that use the IR, mostly the video game championship, then you can't get/participate the event.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9PnFJMnYT0