The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
New Pokemon series coming to Netflix. Looks cute ^_^

New setting, new characters, new storyline, new art style. Could be good.
I love stop-motion animation ^_^

Reactions: CoolMe

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Watched it with my daughter, she loved it and I thought it was pretty well done for what it was. Cute and simple show, which is about what I expected for something like this.

I think the stop motion was pretty well done, too. There's a making of out on YT now for it to give a little BTS if you like that kind of stuff:

• Love
Reactions: x65943 and Veho

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
The show is absolutely gorgeous, but I couldn't make it through the first episode because of the horrible way the main character talks, the affectation annoys me to no end. I'll give some later episode a try, maybe it gets better (well, less awful) when they're done with the introduction and exposition and get to the actual show.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The show is absolutely gorgeous, but I couldn't make it through the first episode because of the horrible way the main character talks, the affectation annoys me to no end. I'll give some later episode a try, maybe it gets better (well, less awful) when they're done with the introduction and exposition and get to the actual show.
Did you watch it with the Japanese voice acting? Typically when I watch an anime or something foreign and the characters sound awful, I find the source material is usually less forced/terrible sounding than the localization

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Did you watch it with the Japanese voice acting? Typically when I watch an anime or something foreign and the characters sound awful, I find the source material is usually less forced/terrible sounding than the localization
It's the affectation, it's not the voices or the acting, it's just the way the dialog is written, it would bother me on mute as well.

It's the standard anime trope of the character being a complete fish out of water and also being a complete moron about it. Being absolutely flabbergasted by every new piece of information that is common knowledge in that universe, being incredibly astonished by everyday occurrences, and repeating every new keyword or phrase they hear in total and complete bewilderment, allowing others to elaborate and infodump, or just look like the character is weighing a completely new and hitherto unknown word such as "candy".

The "audience surrogate n00b" trope is useful to introduce viewers to the cartoon universe and its rules and mechanics, but it makes absolutely no sense when the character is supposed to be a local, or supposed to be an expert on the subject. It is a proud Pokemon tradition, started by Ash who didn't know a single Arceusdamned thing about Pokemon and was completely fucking stunned to learn anything, which happened about three times per episode. "Huh? Starter Pokemon?" "Huh? Rattata?" "Huh? Bicycle?" Yeah, okay, we're introducing kids to the world of Pokemon, but isn't Ash supposed to be some eager beaver who's been devouring every bit of Pokemon info in preparation for his journey? Nope, he's an idiot who ran out blind and has to be told what a fucking Pokedex is.

And even if he needed to have everything spelled out for him, they could have handled it better than the "huuuuh? Ubiquitous everyday object?" affectation.

So it's a proud Pokemon tradition and it's been getting on my tits.

By the time the spa owner said "concierge" and the girl repeated it in that tone of idiotic astonishment, I was about ready to throw the remote at the TV.

I did manage to finish the show and it does get better by the end but eh.

At least it looks nice.

• Haha
Reactions: x65943

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's the affectation, it's not the voices or the acting, it's just the way the dialog is written, it would bother me on mute as well.

It's the standard anime trope of the character being a complete fish out of water and also being a complete moron about it. Being absolutely flabbergasted by every new piece of information that is common knowledge in that universe, being incredibly astonished by everyday occurrences, and repeating every new keyword or phrase they hear in total and complete bewilderment, allowing others to elaborate and infodump, or just look like the character is weighing a completely new and hitherto unknown word such as "candy".

The "audience surrogate n00b" trope is useful to introduce viewers to the cartoon universe and its rules and mechanics, but it makes absolutely no sense when the character is supposed to be a local, or supposed to be an expert on the subject. It is a proud Pokemon tradition, started by Ash who didn't know a single Arceusdmaned thing about Pokemon and was completely fucking stunned to learn anything which happened about three times per episode. "Huh? Starter Pokemon?" "Huh? Rattata?" "Huh? Bicycle?" Yeah, okay, we're introducing kids to the world of Pokemon, but isn't Ash supposed to be some eager beaver who's been devouring every bit of Pokemon info in preparation for his journey? Nope, he's an idiot who ran out blind and has to be told what a fucking Pokedex is.

And even if he needed to have everything spelled out for him, they could have handled it better than the "huuuuh? Ubiquitous everyday object?" affectation.

So it's a proud Pokemon tradition and it's been getting on my tits.

By the time the spa owner said "concierge" and the girl repeated it in that tone of idiotic astonishment, I was about ready to throw the remote at the TV.

I did manage to finish the show and it does get better by the end but eh.

At least it looks nice.
Tbh haven't really encountered enough anime to notice this trope, but sounds pretty annoying

I couldn't really watch this kinda show anyway for a few reasons, one is stop motion is a little jarring for me

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Tbh haven't really encountered enough anime to notice this trope, but sounds pretty annoying
It's not universal to all anime, just a (large) subset.

A large portion of anime is being made by otaku, who themselves grew up on anime instead of real world interaction with other people, who aren't trying to write real people, they are trying to emulate other anime and it's just regurgitating glaring/jarring tropes, cliches and formulas.

It's why Hayao Miyazaki said anime was a mistake :tpi:

• Haha
Reactions: x65943

x65943

Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not universal to all anime, just a (large) subset.

A large portion of anime is being made by otaku, who themselves grew up on anime instead of real world interaction with other people, who aren't trying to write real people, they are trying to emulate other anime and it's just regurgitating glaring/jarring tropes, cliches and formulas.

It's why Hayao Miyazaki said anime was a mistake :tpi:
Japan's demographic crisis is starting to make more sense

CoolKid575

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I watched and greatly enjoyed it. I love the art style and heavily related to the main character as I pretty much did the same thing myself, going from a very stressful fast-food job I was miserable at to a much more fun job as a tour guide. I also like that it didn't overstay its welcome; which helps make it feel like a vacation/break instead of a marathon.

Reactions: Veho

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: im fucking motivated