Gaming Pokémon Director Hypes up Sunday Announcement

saberjoy

Trophies
XP
Country
India
i dont think they have the guts to change the whole fucking game from the orignal top down view to a full 3d 3rd person view, the consequences would be that fans of the series would start whining about how they shouldn't have changed the way pokemon games were

They are going to have to do it eventually, or else we might as well kiss main games on the 3DS and beyond goodbye, as I'm sure more people will be disappointed if they turn out to look like ordinary DS games, aka a big waste to what the system(3DS) can actually pull off as a retail title.

Come on(I mean this in general, not trying to attack you personally), but we need to get out of the stone ages. If people want the cute little sprites, etc., they can always turn back to the games before the 3DS. People act like it's going to be the end of the world, as with everything pretty much. Mario, Zelda, and other main Nintendo franchises looked so charming/adorable/beautiful before turning 3D(not just stereotypical or whatever) and guess what, they STILL look gorgeous even when rendered in 3D and can be a blast. If I feel the craving for 16 bits and below, I just pull out my older games.

You should be happy for the final transition to actual 3D, it really does enhance the experience in a different/exciting way. Do you think Ocarina of Time would've been the same if it was stuck on the top down view with sprites? I'm sure they could have pulled off a nice game still, but the 3D experience is one of the things that makes the game all the more beautiful and what it should be.

People who complain about changes that could actually be fun are usually the nostalgia obsessed who can't get over the good of the past and instead look at what greatness the future can pull off as well. I love the old games and they have a place in my heart but, as long as I enjoy whatever is put out, I welcome change.
i never stated my opinion, i just posted how fans of the original series would react.
personally i am all in for the change, i d love a new 3rd person overworld,

crazyj3ss

hmm
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i dont think they have the guts to change the whole fucking game from the orignal top down view to a full 3d 3rd person view, the consequences would be that fans of the series would start whining about how they shouldn't have changed the way pokemon games were

They are going to have to do it eventually, or else we might as well kiss main games on the 3DS and beyond goodbye, as I'm sure more people will be disappointed if they turn out to look like ordinary DS games, aka a big waste to what the system(3DS) can actually pull off as a retail title.

Come on(I mean this in general, not trying to attack you personally), but we need to get out of the stone ages. If people want the cute little sprites, etc., they can always turn back to the games before the 3DS. People act like it's going to be the end of the world, as with everything pretty much. Mario, Zelda, and other main Nintendo franchises looked so charming/adorable/beautiful before turning 3D(not just stereotypical or whatever) and guess what, they STILL look gorgeous even when rendered in 3D and can be a blast. If I feel the craving for 16 bits and below, I just pull out my older games.

You should be happy for the final transition to actual 3D, it really does enhance the experience in a different/exciting way. Do you think Ocarina of Time would've been the same if it was stuck on the top down view with sprites? I'm sure they could have pulled off a nice game still, but the 3D experience is one of the things that makes the game all the more beautiful and what it should be.

People who complain about changes that could actually be fun are usually the nostalgia obsessed who can't get over the good of the past and instead look at what greatness the future can pull off as well. I love the old games and they have a place in my heart but, as long as I enjoy whatever is put out, I welcome change.
i never stated my opinion, i just posted how fans of the original series would react.
personally i am all in for the change, i d love a new 3rd person overworld,

Which is why I eventually added in the 'not trying to attack you personally' thing, lol.

Oh well, another Pokémon.
I don't like pokémon, so whatever.

Um...then why exactly do you feel the need to come to this thread? Lol.

Reactions: 1 person

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gamefreak never said or even hinted at something called pokemon "grey"
http://pokemongray.com/
Registered by the same people who run all the Pokemon websites.

What exactly is your point? There is no way atm to tell who made the site. It was made around the same time as bullcrap sites like Pokemonbrown.com and Pokemoncrimson.com, etc.
>MELBOURNE IT
I think that's rather obviously by Melbourne IT. No?
Same people who registered Pokemon.com. So...

BrightNeko

Popcorn ball
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
its a new game that could maybe take place in an old region that won't bring in any new mons (or at least a bucket load of mons). Breaking the pattern of the other games, and people complain. Awesome ^_^

D

Deleted_171835

A change to full-on 3D graphics in mainline games will be what kills the series for me. There is so much charm in beautifully-made sprites that can't be reproduced properly in polygons.

Just look at XD: Gale of Darkness vs. Black and White.
jmBen.jpg

LZxTo.jpg

The top looks bland and uninspiring while the bottom has this great look to it. The sprites just add to the great aesthetic that the Pokemon series has. And as an added bonus, games that use sprites tend not to age as horribly as games that don't.

If sprites are indeed from the "stone age" as you say, why do companies like Nintendo and Wayforward still use them in some of their games even when the hardware they work on is perfectly capable of 3D computer graphics. It's more of a design-choice rather than some natural evolution for games.

In fact, a Pokemon engine with sprites would benefit even more from the 3DS hardware by allowing it to run at a crispy-smooth 60FPS and take advantage of the increased screen real-estate. And the parts in the game that do indeed use 3D-graphics in combination with sprites (Castelia City) will look significantly better.

Honestly, I won't be crying foul if Gamefreak changes the sprites in battles to actual 3D Pokemon models. I do like the sprites but if the battles remain just as quick as in Pokemon Black and are animated, I'll be fine.
SwFHr.jpg

This actually looks quite nice.

The overworld should never change completely to full 3D-graphics, though. Sprites add to the whole aesthetic of the Pokemon world and switching to polygonal graphics would ruin all of that.

Reactions: 2 people

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SwFHr.jpg

The overworld should never change completely to full 3D-graphics, though. Sprites add to the whole aesthetic of the Pokemon world and switching to polygonal graphics would ruin all of that.
Where did that picture come from? O_O
Pokedex 3D. They used the AR cards.
Is this a Japan-only thing? How do they have health and stuff?

Lokao0

aka LkProd
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
SwFHr.jpg

*Facepalm*
They jsut used a background with the AR cards in it...

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SwFHr.jpg

*Facepalm*
Sorry, I didn't know about this feature..

crazyj3ss

hmm
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

A change to full-on 3D graphics in mainline games will be what kills the series for me. There is so much charm in beautifully-made sprites that can't be reproduced properly in polygons.

jmBen.jpg

LZxTo.jpg

The top looks bland and uninspiring while the bottom has this great look to it. The sprites just add to the great aesthetic that the Pokemon series has. And as an added bonus, games that use sprites tend not to age as horribly as games that don't.

If sprites are indeed from the "stone age" as you say, why do companies like Nintendo and Wayforward still use them in some of their games even when the hardware they work on is perfectly capable of 3D computer graphics. It's more of a design-choice rather than some natural evolution for games.

In fact, a Pokemon engine with sprites would benefit even more from the 3DS hardware by allowing it to run at a crispy-smooth 60FPS and take advantage of the increased screen real-estate. And the parts in the game that do indeed use 3D-graphics in combination with sprites (Castelia City) will look significantly better.

Honestly, I won't be crying foul if Gamefreak changes the sprites in battles to actual 3D Pokemon models. I do like the sprites but if the battles remain just as quick as in Pokemon Black and are animated, I'll be fine.
SwFHr.jpg

That part about how they look is subjective or whatever you call it. I think they both have their own personal charms. I thoroughly ENJOYED Colosseum and XD:Gale as much, if not more than the usual handheld RPGs.(even though they lacked a real overworld). The first pic looks just as good as the second, imo. Just because it's cute in 2D does not mean 3D doesn't have it's own beauty. Mario games and Zelda games looked beautiful with the 2D graphics and remain to look beautiful, even with 3D graphics. Imo, Pokemon needs at least one set of full overworld 3D main games; they're going to have to make the change sometime...have you even seen how many fans also want the change to happen?

You're acting like transitioning from 2D to 3D kills games and makes them lifeless. In that case, why do we have Mario/Zelda titles etc in 3D, despite them having their own 2d charms as well? Should I just write a letter to Nintendo complaining how they killed the charm of Super Mario World for the SNES in favor of Super Mario 64? No, because they both have pros in cons.

Reactions: 2 people

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

jmBen.jpg

LZxTo.jpg

SwFHr.jpg

That part about how they look is subjective or whatever you call it. I think they both have their own personal charms. I thoroughly ENJOYED Colosseum and XD:Gale as much, if not more than the usual handheld RPGs.(even though they lacked a real overworld). The first pic looks just as good as the second, imo. Just because it's cute in 2D does not mean 3D doesn't have it's own beauty. Mario games and Zelda games looked beautiful with the 2D graphics and remain to look beautiful, even with 3D graphics. Imo, Pokemon needs at least one set of full overworld 3D main games; they're going to have to make the change sometime...have you even seen how many fans also want the change to happen?

You're acting like transitioning from 2D to 3D kills games and makes them lifeless. In that case, why do we have Mario/Zelda titles etc in 3D, despite them having their own 2d charms as well? Should I just write a letter to Nintendo complaining how they killed the charm of Super Mario World for the SNES in favor of Super Mario 64? No, because they both have pros in cons.

Stop using Mario and Zelda as examples. They didn't turn to 3D purely for effect, they turned to 3D mainly for gameplay. Tell me, what can Pokemon really gain from 3D gameplay wise? Its a turn-based RPG, there's almost NOTHING it can gain. In fact Gale of Darkness showed us that putting it in full 3D can more likely hurt it then anything (no open world? BOOO!) I agree with Soul in the fact that adding 3D to the BATTLES or legendarys would be cool but complete 3D seems like your just Graphic whoring more then anything. Its all opinion, I perfer sprites over 3D any day. In fact I think some of my favorite games built for 3D would look better Doom style. But that's me. Some times 3D improves other times it ruins. I mean look at Cave Story. A lot of people disliked it because of the fact it was remade in complete 3D. And that was a indie game.

Reactions: 1 person

crazyj3ss

hmm
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
stop using zelda and mario? seems fitting considering they are also top n franchises. btw, you act as if they couldnt change battle mechanics, but how can you expect much needed changes if we remain with the limitation of sprites forever? nice insult btw although it isnt all true. if i truely only cared for graphics, i wouldnt be fooling wih n products. i just am one of the many fans who also see this golden opportunity for the main games and who dont hate the idea of a 3d transition. we havent had a true 3d main experience anyway so how could you judge what doesnt exist? you see me as a graphic whore, well then, sadly, i guess i see you as a sprite whore. :(

saberjoy

Trophies
XP
Country
India
stop using zelda and mario? seems fitting considering they are also top n franchises. btw, you act as if they couldnt change battle mechanics, but how can you expect much needed changes if we remain with the limitation of sprites forever? nice insult btw although it isnt all true. if i truely only cared for graphics, i wouldnt be fooling wih n products. i just am one of the many fans who also see this golden opportunity for the main games and who dont hate the idea of a 3d transition. we havent had a true 3d main experience anyway so how could you judge what doesnt exist? you see me as a graphic whore, well then, sadly, i guess i see you as a sprite whore. :(
of course they cant!
this statement is on par with
why cant the next call of duty be a racer? :blink:
transition to 3d is fine for me but if they change the battles i'll kil em

crazyj3ss

hmm
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if the cod makers wanted to make a race game, they prob could lol. i like the current battle system too. it just seemed zant was using the current battle system as one of the excuses to keep us with sprites. thats why i said what i did, haha.

Lokao0

aka LkProd
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
SwFHr.jpg

*Facepalm*
Sorry, I didn't know about this feature..

THIS IS NOT A FEATURE
THIS IS NOT A FEATURE
THIS IS NOT A FEATURE
THIS IS NOT A FEATURE
THIS IS NOT A FEATURE
THIS IS NOT A FEATURE
gallery_245416_365_19153.jpg
They just edited this background, and added the health bars.
Then they simply pointed the Pokédex 3D camera at it and then it looked like a battle...
The only thing Pokédex 3D does is make the Pokémon appear, nothing more.
That health bar is just a freaking background!

Hanks6

Trophies
XP
Country
oh...not even a 3ds game. guess it makes sense from a user base point of view, but they really should have a full on 3DS pokemon title in development too, would be a great system seller.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

if the cod makers wanted to make a race game, they prob could lol. i like the current battle system too. it just seemed zant was using the current battle system as one of the excuses to keep us with sprites. thats why i said what i did, haha.

Im not using it as an excuse. Im just saying that Mario and Zelda are terrible examples of why they should change it to 3D. 3D really doesnt contribute ANYTHING to gameplay and personally I think it would derp up the look of the game (UNLESS THEY USED CELL SHADING! But it would have to be like WW level cell shading not Gales level of cell) and its purely based on graphics. If like I said. Battles would look cool with 3D hell if the WHOLE battle seqence was in 3D I think it would be awesome, I just think they should keep the sprites for the overworld as far as characters and pokemon and items, everything else SHOULD be in 3D.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Im not using it as an excuse. Im just saying that Mario and Zelda are terrible examples of why they should change it to 3D. 3D really doesnt contribute ANYTHING to gameplay and personally I think it would derp up the look of the game (UNLESS THEY USED CELL SHADING! But it would have to be like WW level cell shading not Gales level of cell) and its purely based on graphics. If like I said. Battles would look cool with 3D hell if the WHOLE battle seqence was in 3D I think it would be awesome, I just think they should keep the sprites for the overworld as far as characters and pokemon and items, everything else SHOULD be in 3D.
If you don't like 3D, why do you have a 3DS?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah search Google