Pokémon DarkViolet

Discussion in 'GBA - Game Development, ROM Hacks and Translations' started by Chaos Rush, May 28, 2013.

1. Chaos Rush
    OP

Chaos Rush GBAtemp Regular

Jan 11, 2010
    United States
    Some of you from PokéCommunity may already have heard of this hack, but I have decided to bring it here, as I want people that aren't Pokémon fans to try this. Or at least, people that aren't as familiar with Pokémon to try this.

This is a hack of Pokémon FireRed Version.

Box art front: http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o625/ChaosRush/DarkViolet/DarkVioletFront_zpsc97b2c3c.png
    Box art back: http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o625/ChaosRush/DarkViolet/DarkVioletBack_zps12cc8b64.png

This hack is a remake of the very first Pokémon games, Pokémon Red & Green. This is how I would remake them, and it’s totally different from FireRed & LeafGreen. This will be a Kanto adventure you’ve never experienced, and it will be totally modernized, and fun. This is my reboot of Pokémon, think of it as a new Generation I. This isn’t a Gen III hack, this isn’t a Gen IV/V wannabe hack, this is Chaos Rush’s Generation I game.

STORY: This world is inhabited far and wide by creatures called Pokémon. For some people, Pokémon are pets. Others use them for battling. There are numerous mysteries surrounding them, and they are a popular subject of research. Either way, humans live in harmony with Pokémon, and they have done so for ages.

Meanwhile, three teenagers, two from Pallet Town and one from Viridian City, decide to travel through the Kanto region to collect eight badges of Kanto, and to take on the Pokémon League Challenge. The names of the teens are Red, Green, and Blue, and they each have received a Pokémon from Professor Oak. They have no idea what awaits them, such as an increasingly threatening crime organization known as Team Rocket. The three of them will meet many people on their journey, some helpful, such as Blue’s older sister Daisy. They will also meet Kamon, a younger boy who claims to despise Team Rocket, and is always right on their tail. What are Kamon’s motives? Or more importantly, what are Team Rocket’s motives?

FEATURES:
    *210 Pokémon available
    *All 210 Pokémon will have sprites from my DS-style 64x64 Sprite Project
    *113 new moves added. Over half of them are Gen IV moves, a few Gen V moves, and a few custom moves. No old moves were replaced, thus there is now a total of 467 moves.
    *A few old moves have new animations
    *Physical/Special split
    *Important characters have their own battle theme
    *Lots of redone music
    *custom instruments, such as the church organ and the "orchestra hit" sample
    *All 210 Pokemon have their moveset redone (new movesets are based closely off of B2/W2 movesets)
    *Entire game re-scripted & re-mapped from scratch
    *Map layouts and architectural design of the Kanto region will be based off of how it appears in HG/SS. However, unlike HG/SS, Route 23 will actually exist.
    *And much more…

R/S/E-ified features:
    *R/S/E style graphics (yes I'm serious)
    *Removal of the stupid flashback feature to make it more like R/S/E
    *Removal of first-person view artwork to make it more like R/S/E (and every single Pokémon game that's not FR/LG or HG/SS)
    *You actually face the trainer when another trainer walks up to you
    *Removal of colored-text based on gender
    *Proper item fanfares, instead of being limited to the level-up sound

NEW GYM ORDER:
    1. Brock
    2. Misty
    3. Lt. Surge
    4. Erika
    5. ??? (not Giovanni)
    6. Koga
    7. Sabrina
    8. Blaine

MAIN CHARACTER BIOS:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Q&A:

Screenshots:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Credits:
    -Every person that made the various tools I used
    -Jambo51, for his ASM code for the Trainer Battle facing fix, for telling me how to extend the available Direct Sound tracks, and some other stuff
    -Mastermind_X, for his music variable hack
    -DoesntKnowHowToPlay, for his Physical/Special split hack, also for the No Guard ability ASM code
    -Gamer2020, for making PGE, which made the process of adding new moves significantly easier
    -giradialkia, for being there with this project since the very beginning during my previous incarnations of this, and also for composing Giovanni's battle theme
    -NintendoBoyDX, for helping me port the Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald tile system over to FireRed
    -metalflygon08, for suggesting the renaming of the custom move "Water Drain" to "Osmosis"
    -Darthatron, for his tutorial on porting the Black 2/White 2 repel system to FireRed
    -diegoisawesome, for fixing the "Presents" graphic in the intro
    -MrDollSteak, major contributor to the 64x64 DS-Style Pokémon Sprite Resource, and also for implementing some Pokémon abilities from Gen IV and V, and for some revised attack animations
    -karatekid552, for the evolution slot expansion, enabling Eevee to have seven different evolutions

Pokédex/Evolution Guide: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=8055191&postcount=868

Known Bugs/Glitches:

ROM dump that the patch is based on: 1636 - Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)

Downloads:
    (1/26/14) Beta 2.1: http://www.mediafire.com/download/8hae6lzeittj21u/PokemonDarkVioletBeta+2_1.zip NEWEST
    Make sure you patch to the same ROM dump that I have.

Older releases:
    (1/22/14) Beta 2.0
    (10/28/13) Beta 1.1
    (10/5/13) Beta 1.0
    (5/27/13) Alpha 2.2
    (5/26/13) Alpha 2.1
    (5/26/13) Alpha 2.0
    (1/6/13) Alpha 1.0

Length of latest release: Up to & including Silph Co. & Sabrina
    Next planned release: Full game

Changelog:

My note:
    When you play this game, I kindly ask for you to forget about everything you know about Pokémon, and to play this game as if it were your first Pokémon game. I don't care about your nostalgia at all, so if you play this game thinking of Red/Blue and FireRed/LeafGreen, you will be disappointed (or pleasantly surprised? idk). Play this game as if you've never played a Pokémon game before, and this is just some new RPG that you're going to try out. If you play this game hoping it will make you feel nostalgic about the original games, then you will be very, very disappointed.

Also, if you identify as a "genwunner", then you should probably never, ever play this hack, ever. You have been warned :)

2. buddrosse

buddrosse Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 1, 2013
    Senegal
    will there be still any alpha 3 or alpha 4? i dont really wanna play in-development version.

3. Castiel

Castiel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 15, 2010
    Canada
    Ba Sing Se
    This hack actually looks really awesome. It is very well created. I wish you well in making this hack known :)

4. Ziggy Zigzagoon

Ziggy Zigzagoon GBAtemp Fan

Aug 6, 2010
    In other words, we are to do the same thing that Earthbound fans did upon playing Mother 1, right?

Either way, I always like playing new Pokémon ROM hacks. This should be pleasant.

5. Chary

Chary Never sleeps

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    That is one BAMF Bulbasaur you've got in your screenshots.

Also, my bet for the new ??? Gym leader? The old man from Viridian City. XD

Sicklyboy likes this.
  6. Chaos Rush
    OP

Jan 11, 2010
    United States
    Correct. Otherwise people that are purists/nostalgiafreaks would find too many problems with this game. This is my re-imagining of the original Kanto story.

Also I played Mother 1 first lol.

7. Ethevion

Ethevion Wannabe Artist

Sep 23, 2010
    Canada
    Nice hack, I'll definitely give it a try.

8. ars25

ars25 I like tacos and pie

Oct 21, 2010
    United States
    the world that never was
    I don't know what i am doing wrong but every time i try to play this it crashes the emulator. i tried different roms and they all crash. i don't know if the ips corrupted it self or if it is just the patcher?

9. exangel

exangel executioner angel

Apr 20, 2010
    United States
    Tucson, AZ
  10. ars25

ars25 I like tacos and pie

Oct 21, 2010
    United States
    the world that never was
    exangel likes this.
  11. Chaos Rush
    OP

Jan 11, 2010
    United States
    New release! Beta 1.0! http://www.mediafire.com/?23373vpi9ppp24l

This goes right up to the entrance to Rock Tunnel. There's a lot of content, so check it out!

Also here's some more recent screenshots:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Please start a new save file. This will be the last release in which you have to do so! This is because the first time around I forgot to include the Fly flags to the towns, but they have now been added, so please start a new save file.

Some changes to previous content:
    -Charmander family now learns Draco Bullet instead of Dragon Rage, which was way too OP
    -Ruby/Sapphire textbox, to match the tiles a bit more

There will be a Beta 1.1 sometime soon which will allow you to obtain the missing Eeveelutions, as well as a new, R/S/E-styled remix for the Bicycle music, as well as any bug fixes that occur. The next release after Beta 1.1 will be the full game.

12. GamerzHell9137

GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina

The hack looks pretty good! But i'll gonna try it once u finish it :)

13. SolidSnake95

SolidSnake95 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 3, 2013
    United States

:cry: I love you man....I just started a new save on Firered, but now I'm gonna start on this. Origins resurfaced my interest.

14. DJ91990

DJ91990 Dark-Type Trainer

Feb 9, 2009
    United States
    Oakwood Region
    Actually I think the Girl's name was Blue and the Rival's name was Green. This is explained here:

(Taken from http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Green_(Adventures)#Background)
    I always called her Blue because it is a Japanese game and the Japanese called her Blue. Once again, localized game change crap that makes things confusing. It seemed like a great idea at first, but it just caused confusion between the international and Japanese versions.

Also I think in Heart Gold and Soul Silver, Blue (Gary) was called Green, and his room has a Green Carpet, much like Red's room has a Red Carpet. I think Blue (The Girl) was originally going to be an optional female main trainer you could play as in the Generation I remake, Pokemon Blue, but it was scrapped.

This ROM Hack looks interesting and I think I'll give it a download, heck if it's good enough (and Nintendo won't flag the video) I may just Let's Play it on my Youtube Channel; Scythe Ironclaw!

15. Chaos Rush
    OP

Jan 11, 2010
    United States
    Believe me, I know all about the whole name issue thing, all because when they decided to localize Pokemon for the first time, they took the Japanese Blue version and changed the wild Pokemon and in-game trades to what they were in the Japanese Red & Green versions and released it worldwide as Pokemon Red & Blue. But that's part of history, and the rival's official localized name is Blue, regardless of the circumstances of why his name is Blue. I don't care about the circumstances behind why his official localized name is Blue, all that matters is that his official localized name is Blue, which is his name in every game that he's appeared in in which you can't name him:
    [​IMG]
    Like I said, the reasons on why his name is Blue really don't matter at all. All that matters is that his official localized name is Blue, and in my hack I am using the official localized names (or most logical name choice based on confirmed names. No way I'm calling the girl fucking "Leaf") It's even confirmed on the Pokemon website that the Pokemon Origins dub is going to call him Blue, despite the fact that he has a green jacket.

(oh and by the way, about the green carpet in his room in HG/SS, I made it a blue carpet in DarkViolet :P )

16. DJ91990

DJ91990 Dark-Type Trainer

Feb 9, 2009
    United States
    Oakwood Region
    Well, your evidence proves that I am incorrect in my relocation of Heart Gold ans Soul Silver. I'll refer to the girl as Green then. It makes more sense than calling her Blue anyway (because Blue is a color often associated with boys, duh.)

I have been playing Pokemon Dark Violet and I gotta say, I was blown away from what all was changed. I was just expecting some slight changes here and there but not this! Holy crap! The music has been changed or lowered in pitch, the routes were re-designed to match how they appeared in Heart Gold and Soul Silver, also you have two rivals instead of one. I also like the Pokemon Centers and how they are modeled after the Black and White ones with the Pokemart in them. Also adding in Black and White's Pokemon Center theme was a nice touch as well.
    When the final version of this rom hack comes out, I'll be sure to let's play it on my Youtube channel. I wonder if you are going to add in the Sevii Islands or if you are going to add a completely new area for post-game?

17. basher11

basher11 GBAtemp's Official Vocaloid Lover

Jun 29, 2009
    United States
    Haven't seen this hack yet but I sure as hell like the look of it! Please keep working on this; it looks amazing! I'll be sure to keep checking for updates. :wink:

18. SolidSnake95

SolidSnake95 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 3, 2013
    United States
    You wouldn't have to call her "Leaf", Blue would have been fine if you named Gary Green. But it doesn't really matter to me anyway, I like the hack regardless.

19. Crimson Ghoul

Crimson Ghoul GBAtemp Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    United States
    Houston, TX
    Why not name her Yellow?

20. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Looks tempting. It reminds me of FireRed/LeafGreen, which I really love. But why is it rated T for Teen? I understand the modernization process, but Teen? Pokemon should be played by everyone, not just teens and older. (Yes, I still believe in the ESRB's rating system.)