Hacking [PoC] 3DS Region Changing + proof

blinkzane

Panic at your moms house
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do you know if this allows different region game cart updating? or will sysNAND prevent that? that's the only reason I would use this

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
do you know if this allows different region game cart updating? or will sysNAND prevent that? that's the only reason I would use this
It has nothing to do with sysnand/emunand. Your region changes so sure, the update on the cart would work. But I thought in emunand/GW it is tricky to update via cart?

blinkzane

Panic at your moms house
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It has nothing to do with sysnand/emunand. Your region changes so sure, the update on the cart would work. But I thought in emunand/GW it is tricky to update via cart?

well it is, if I were to use a EUR rom in my US 3ds emuNAND, and the cart itself needed to update, it wont let me because of the region difference.

btw im talking about the game updates, not the firmware updates

cearp

瓜老外
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
well it is, if I were to use a EUR rom in my US 3ds emuNAND, and the cart itself needed to update, it wont let me because of the region difference.

btw im talking about the game updates, not the firmware updates

so you are trying to update to a EUR cart update in emunand, it won't work because your emunand region is usa. if you had an eur emunand but a usa sysnand it would still work.
sure it is about the region difference, but you made it sound like 'sysnand was preventing it'. it's not sysnand, it's the region of the nand you are using

will it work on new 3dsll then?

when we have nand access on n3ds then yes it will work

blinkzane

Panic at your moms house
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so you are trying to update to a EUR cart update in emunand, it won't work because your emunand region is usa. if you had an eur emunand but a usa sysnand it would still work.
sure it is about the region difference, but you made it sound like 'sysnand was preventing it'. it's not sysnand, it's the region of the nand you are using

nono I was asking if sysNAND would prevent it, not stating it. thanks though! your response helped

Reactions: cearp

michyprima

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
he probably doesn't want to reveal anything until its released......details will more than likely be shared *soon* :lol:

I know, I did the change myself but then figured it out that the check is not patched even when booting emunand (not sure if the cfw has it patched?) so my change would break the signature and the 3ds would refuse to boot at all (this is just plain stupid, nand is already encrypted, why do you need to put signatures everywhere? -.-)
I would like to be put on the right track, not asking for the easy way. I'm new to the 3ds hacking scene, and trying to learn fast.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I know, I did the change myself but then figured it out that the check is not patched even when booting emunand (not sure if the cfw has it patched?) so my change would break the signature and the 3ds would refuse to boot at all (this is just plain stupid, nand is already encrypted, why do you need to put signatures everywhere? -.-)
I would like to be put on the right track, not asking for the easy way. I'm new to the 3ds hacking scene, and trying to learn fast.
yeah, what i mean is there is more to it, and he would probably prefer to announce/release once its all thoroughly tested, and not just be beaten to the punch by someone who doesnt care for testing and just unleashes something that can potentially get people banned and/or bricked.....idk take it up with cearp, but im fairly sure he wants to make sure its all safe before he shares any details.....he doesn't want to be responsible for any of that stuff

Reactions: mvmiranda

michyprima

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
yeah, what i mean is there is more to it, and he would probably prefer to announce/release once its all thoroughly tested, and not just be beaten to the punch by someone who doesnt care for testing and just unleashes something that can potentially get people banned and/or bricked.....idk take it up with cearp, but im fairly sure he wants to make sure its all safe before he shares any details.....he doesn't want to be responsible for any of that stuff

Sure, I see your point, so I will not ask more than I already did. I will not even pm him, as it's clear he wants to follow that route.
As I said I'm new to this so I probably will not figure it out before he eventually release this, but I will keep trying.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Sure, I see your point, so I will not ask more than I already did. I will not even pm him, as it's clear he wants to follow that route.
As I said I'm new to this so I probably will not figure it out before he eventually release this, but I will keep trying.
im sure he will clarify his view point here...but i have spoken with him and he did seem to want to be certain nothing bad would happen before releasing (hence him not releasing....cearp always releases stuff as long as he knows its 100% safe to do so.....not only that he is also using tools from someone else to make the process easier afaik, so he needs to wait for the go-ahead from them too

good luck anyway, but i doubt this will be too much longer, unless anything bad happens in the mean time

Reactions: cearp

michyprima

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
im sure he will clarify his view point here...but i have spoken with him and he did seem to want to be certain nothing bad would happen before releasing (hence him not releasing....cearp always releases stuff as long as he knows its 100% safe to do so.....not only that he is also using tools from someone else to make the process easier afaik, so he needs to wait for the go-ahead from them too

good luck anyway, but i doubt this will be too much longer, unless anything bad happens in the mean time

Just to be clear, I'm not angry at him for not releasing info for safety! at all!

I'm just sad he didn't event bother explaining his point.

I think I just figured it out something more. for some reason I did not see that page yesterday. http://3dbrew.org/wiki/RSA_Registers

Will try to put something together.

Edit: I don't even need this (yet, n3dsJ coming) as my 3ds is EU and I'm european. I just want to do it xD

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Just to be clear, I'm not angry at him for not releasing info for safety! at all!

I'm just sad he didn't event bother explaining his point.

I think I just figured it out something more. for some reason I did not see that page yesterday. http://3dbrew.org/wiki/RSA_Registers

Will try to put something together.

Edit: I don't even need this (yet, n3dsJ coming) as my 3ds is EU and I'm european. I just want to do it xD
see the thing is, if you release too much info....you might as well just release the whole thing, someone will come along go...ahah, 10 mins later "my tutorial for changing regions......go on everyone be guinea pigs"

from a technical standpoint its all pretty simple....but it still needs to be properly tested to make sure people dont have it blow up in their faces

Reactions: mmn and cearp

michyprima

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
see the thing is, if you release too much info....you might as well just release the whole thing, someone will come along go...ahah, 10 mins later "my tutorial for changing regions......go on everyone be guinea pigs"

lol, don't worry. I really see the danger and I will not say more if I discover the whole thing.

Reactions: gamesquest1

n-squall

Trophies
XP
Country
Wow! I really need this, now I have a Japanese 3DS and almost European games are set up in english by default so I can't play in my native language. This would be great. Good work!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea? trying to...