Evilmaster1985

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found out I have a crazy habit of not doing as I was asked when a game says:
Please press start!

I press any key except for start, trying to see if by pressing buttons not asked will get me passed the screen
tongue.gif

Same with: Touch the screen!

I just have to try or there are other buttons that get me passed the screen that asked me to do something by not doing so.
tongue.gif

Anyone else also has this habit?

Greetz, Vistabuser.

Samx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
LOL, i thought i was the only one who does that!

Seems that more people are curious if you can go further on the main screen by NOT pressing the button that's shown on the screen.
nyanya.gif

Morgawr

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
I do this in videogames (usually RPGs) that tell you to go somewhere to go on with the story. I usually try to sneak out of the storyline and go explore the world as soon as I can. Not because I want to explore it, just because I want to find out bugs or tricks that aren't allowed in the game itself XD I guess this though comes from me, being a programmer, wanting to see if the game's done well. Usually there are bugs (I found a few in FFXII xD) where the game mentions something that you aren't supposed to know yet... it's fun heh
tongue.gif

Firedrake1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never used to try breaking away from the story until recently. I have been trying to break away in Chrono Trigger and i must say. I am very impressed with how well they keep areas of the game plot locked.

ackers

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Haha I have a habit of doing this as well. It's stupid tho, it tells you to press start but you can press a instead??

Kimi

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Why do I have to press start in the first place? Is there any reason to have these pointless splash screens in games? Why can't we just go right into the first menu and then go, that would make so much more sense in my mind.

frebels

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
start is annoying to press pressing a is way easier and why touch the touch screen if you dont use it the rest of the game

V!olaPlayer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I always get into the position of playing a certain game, so if it tells me to press start, I also just ingore it and press 'A'. It's more habitual, especially if you're playing a game such as Super Mario Brothers, in which you have to hold the DS in a particular position.
I just think that having your game say that makes your game look more clean and user friendly, in my opinion.. This as well as a nice loading screen with a pretty animation, lol.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Kimi said:
Why do I have to press start in the first place? Is there any reason to have these pointless splash screens in games? Why can't we just go right into the first menu and then go, that would make so much more sense in my mind.

its basically a throwback to old school arcade games (that you actually played in an arcade!) where it would go into a demo mode in a few seconds if no button was pressed.

Zane

Ace Wizard
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I always let the start screen be there for 1 minute or so, incase there's some kind of video etc.

And then i proceed to press all buttons but start, becasue i hate that button on the DS.

cupajoe

Have a cup of joe!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Kimi said:
Compare it to all of those blank pages before the table of contents in a book.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm all for games having a message like this:

"Please press whatever the hell you want, because it's not like you could mess up and perform the wrong move ON A DAMN TITLE SCREEN!!!"

Yeah I press A or something normally. I rather dislike a game that forces you to press start if the primary form of control in a game is using the buttons. If it's a touch only game like Kirby Canvas curse or Zelda PH, I get it, but not other games.

Evilmaster1985

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha I did not expect so many relpy`s
biggrin.gif

Really love to read the comments keep them comming.

Yes indeed granville I also dislike when a game forces you to press start.
For some reason it p!sses me off if I cant find anohter way to get passed the screen.
tongue.gif

Greetz, Vistabuser.

Private|Par

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think an awesome idea for a game dev would be if you don't press the start button, something else happens. Like a jump-scare, or something. It would really change the "Title Screen," if it had some interactivity, a la Pokemon Dash.
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I just Luv having CEX :)