Hardware Please help me build a new PC

GameSystem

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Updated August 19, 2019

This is my first time building a PC, so bear with me.
My friend wants me to play Monster Hunter World with him on PC once the Iceborne expansion releases in January 2020.
My only goal is to play it at 720p @ 60FPS (480p is also acceptable, but I won't budge on the 60 FPS). All other settings can be minimum. I looked at Capcom's website for recommended builds, then went to PCPartPicker and just picked cheap and 5 star rated stuff centering around the CPU and GPU.

This is what I scrounged together.

CPU

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $133.00

CPU Cooler
None

Motherboard
MSI B450M GAMING PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $94.89 -$10.00 rebate $84.89

Memory
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $69.99

Storage

Inland Premium 512GB 3D NAND M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive $64.99

Video Card
Sapphire Radeon RX 590 8 GB PULSE Video Card $194.99 -$5.00 rebate $189.99 but comes with XBOX Game Pass for PC and DMC 5 ($69.98 value to be used for trading for MHW or something)

Case
Thermaltake Versa H15 MicroATX Mid Tower Case $44.99 -$15.00 rebate $29.99

Power Supply
Already purchased EVGA 750 GQ, 80+ GOLD 750W, Semi Modular

OS
Unactivated Windows 10

Monitor
I already have an AOC C24G1 I bought on a whim for some reason.

Estimated Wattage: 374W

Total: $572.85

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xMPBQZ

Money is technically no object for me, but I'd prefer not to piss money away when I'm basically buying this PC for one game, so I'd like to keep it as budget as possible, but still able to play future games at minimum settings if I ever felt like it.

Since I will not be playing until January 2020 or later on when the expansion goes on sale or something, is there anything I should watch out for? Are there certain parts releasing in that time-frame that makes the current build obsolete or a waste of money if I buy something too soon? How aggressive should I be with the settings on email alerts for price drops and rebates? Should I aim for the historic minimum for everything? Should I buy everything at once or keep it spread out over a few months? Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by GameSystem,

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
You probably don't need a cooler. Just use the stock one.
Get the MSI Mortar (titanium if you can find one) instead. Get the MAX version if you plan on upgrading to ryzen 3000 later.
Get the ballistix sport lt 3000C15 or 3200C16 kit for RAM. You'll want fast RAM with Zen+. Do buy RAM in kits, they're tested to work together.
Consider a RX580 8GB instead. Whatever you do get something better than a MSI Armor.
Since you're from the US there's a subreddit for PC part sales, if you're not in a hurry it might be better to wait for deals. r/buildapcsales

Reactions: GameSystem

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Refer to my thread for the base game to get an idea of what specs the game ACTUALLY needs rather than just the "suggested" or "minimum": https://gbatemp.net/threads/i-did-a-little-mh-world-requirements-test.514421/

Anyways, about the parts you've picked, not a bad combination, but I suggest going for an AMD Sapphire version of the GPU rather than the MSI version. That way you can use the same driver program to configure both the CPU and GPU, making things simpler, plus in my experience AMD Sapphire GPUs work better than versions from other manufacturers on AMD systems. Even 2GBs GPU memory are enough for 60FPS at 1360x768 (what I have on my PC) if you keep settings at low-to-medium, even medium default settings only need 2.12GBs, so going for 8GBs is overkill and waste of money, get a better card but with 4GBs (eg: 580X 4GB or slightly better), will end up at the same price, only it will allow for a lot more capabilities. Max settings on everything in current Monster Hunter World hit 3.95GBs after all and that's for 60FPS 1080p, which is above what you plan to use! Go for 8GB ONLY if you plan to use 4K resolutions or Ultra Widescreen.

As for PSU, I HIGHLY suggest you go to AT LEAST silver efficiency. Sure, better efficiency costs more, but if you plan to use it more than 2-3 hours a day, then you save a lot more in the long run as it keeps your electrical bill low. Basically, think of efficiency as the % of electricity it uses out of what it draws (eg: if it's 80%, aka bronze, then a 500W PSU will draw 500W but only output 400W with the other 100W being lost and that energy turns into heat which unecessarily heats up the system).

Is that cooler an air one by the way? Don't go for liquid unless you feel you absolutely need one, stock coolers have gotten pretty good over the years, so only consider getting a cooler if you think the stock one is too loud or not good enough.

Finally, you can easily make do with just 8GBs of RAM, I know people keep going on about how you need tons and tons of RAM, but they are just idiots, the base game on max settings still takes 7GBs tops with all settings maxed out, while at around medium settings even 4GBs DDR3 RAM like I have is more than good enough (on medium game takes 3.1GBs of RAM):P Only go for 16GBs if you feel like you'll need it (eg: also planning to do video encodings on that PC and generally RAM-heavy stuff), otherwise just get 8GBs and save yourself some cash, then get a second stick of 8GBs once you feel like you need it at a later time.

GameSystem

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I checked online and The MSI Mortar seems to have two versions on Amazon available for Ryzen. MSI ProSeries AMD Ryzen B350 DDR4 VR Ready HDMI USB 3 Micro-ATX Motherboard (B350M Mortar) for $163 and the MSI B450M MORTAR TITANIUM Socket AM4 MicroATX Motherboard for AMD Ryzen Processor for $118. I guess I'll go with Titanium.

The Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory goes for $37.99. Should I get 1 x 8 or 2 x 4?

The Sapphire RX580 Nitro+ goes for $195.00 and the Pulse version goes for $180. I guess I'll go with Nitro+.

SeaSonic Platinum 400 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular Fanless ATX Power Supply goes for $120.

The site says my new wattage is 377W. I guess you want to be as close as possible to the PSU? I got rid of the cooling fan so new overall price for everything is $682.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I tried making a list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kMwVtg
PCPP price list isn't comlpete though, many parts don't have their price listed.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I checked online and The MSI Mortar seems to have two versions on Amazon available for Ryzen. MSI ProSeries AMD Ryzen B350 DDR4 VR Ready HDMI USB 3 Micro-ATX Motherboard (B350M Mortar) for $163 and the MSI B450M MORTAR TITANIUM Socket AM4 MicroATX Motherboard for AMD Ryzen Processor for $118. I guess I'll go with Titanium.

The Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory goes for $37.99. Should I get 1 x 8 or 2 x 4?

The Sapphire RX580 Nitro+ goes for $195.00 and the Pulse version goes for $180. I guess I'll go with Nitro+.

SeaSonic Platinum 400 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular Fanless ATX Power Supply goes for $120.

The site says my new wattage is 377W. I guess you want to be as close as possible to the PSU? I got rid of the cooling fan so new overall price for everything is $682.
That mobo choice is fine, but if you ever update the BIOS to run ryzen 3000 CPUs you'll have to use a cut-down BIOS. The MAX version don't have this issue.
People recommend certain models of that RAM for their micron e-die chips. The cheapest e-die is the 3000C15 8GB stick. However if you run single channel you'll take a big performance hit.
The Nitro+ is about as good as 580s go, behind the Nitro+ LE and SE.
Get a higher capacity PSU. Generally for best efficiency you want a PSU twice what your PC usually draws, because most PSUs are most efficient at ~50% load. Also there's no need to pay too much attention to efficiency ratings, you won't save much unless you have the pc on 24/7. Instead focus on getting a decent PSU.
Seriously though $120 for 400W is crazy, that's a super niche product.

GameSystem

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I checked that list too. Weird how the 4gb version is more expensive than the 8gb version for the GPU. The Pulse you listed is like $30 less than the Nitro, so I'll probably stick with that.

GameSystem

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One part down, I guess.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    15.7 KB · Views: 174

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Go for a cheaper case and try to get into a Ryzen 5 3600, you'll appreciate the ipc gainz. At 1080p, you might be cpu limited.

Also, since you have till January 2020, wait for small Navi to release (Radeon 5600/XT), it might be more powerful than the RX580, and if not at the same price, the RX580/RX590 might become even cheaper.

GameSystem

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ryzen 5 3600 shows as $60 more than the 2600. I really only plan on playing at 720p. Is this more for a future proofing type of thing? While I can get it, I'm still sort of aiming for budget.

Edit: I'm waiting for Radeon 5600/XT solely to lower the price of the 580 and not because I want to get it right?

raystriker

The powers that be
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Ryzen 5 3600 shows as $60 more than the 2600. I really only plan on playing at 720p. Is this more for a future proofing type of thing? While I can get it, I'm still sort of aiming for budget.
Haha, live a little! Its 2019, you should atleast aim for 1080p :P
Especially since you plan on playing at 720p, the game will be more cpu dependent as the RX580 can manage 1080p+.

Alternatively, you can go for the 2600 for now and upgrade to a Radeon 7 3700 and RX5700XT (or 2020 equivalent) for 1440p, or opt for the 3600 now and with the Rx580/590/Navi equivalent, play at 1080p.

Edit: Actually, even a 3600 should be able to keep up with the needs of 1440p.

GameSystem

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess since my monitor only goes to 1080p anyway, I'll go with the 3600. I'll just wait a few months to see if the price drops significantly.

Edit: Uh oh. Seems like it's not compatible with my mother board. Time for more research.
Edit2: False alarm, there is a bios update for zen 2.

GameSystem

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I changed the case to a cheaper one that is mid tower instead of mini. How much stock should I put in the warning they give me?
  • Note:Some physical dimension restrictions cannot (yet) be automatically checked, such as cpu cooler / RAM clearance with modules using tall heat spreaders.

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam

Edit: I'm waiting for Radeon 5600/XT solely to lower the price of the 580 and not because I want to get it right?
You're building to play just one game anyway, future proofing is irrelevant. Haven't checked benchmarks or anything but I'd be surprised if you get CPU bottlenecked with a 2600 on a game this old.
While I do agree that you should go for 1080 60, you should watch out not to overspend.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can I offer an alternative view to those given so far and suggest a system built around the Ryzen 5 2400G APU?

I fail to see why you would need a discrete GPU for the requirements you've listed.

GameSystem

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pick your budget and then just get one of the systems spec'ed out here:

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

They are constantly updating the builds on that site with the best bang-for-your-buck components for gaming. No need to repeat all the work they do.
I never heard of that site before, so thanks for bringing it to my attention. I checked their example builds for Monster Hunter World and this is what they put:

1080p 60 FPS [Low Settings] Monster Hunter World Build ($600)

For those of you on a tight budget that still want to play MHW on a PC at a smooth frame rate, this is the build for you. This is the lowest-tier build that we feel can comfortably promise 60+ FPS in Monster Hunter World at 1080p while playing with all graphics settings down to their lowest settings (or off, where applicable).

If you’re looking to play with Medium or High settings in MHW at 720p or 900p, this is also the build for you.

CPU: AMD R5 1500X
Graphics Card: GTX 1050 Ti
Motherboard: MSI B350 PC Mate
RAM: 8GB DDR4 2666
Storage: 1TB Seagate HDD
Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 520
CPU Cooler: Stock
Case: Fractal Design Focus G
Operating System: Windows 10

I'll come back after I check the actual prices on those because that seems a bit high.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never heard of that site before, so thanks for bringing it to my attention. I checked their example builds for Monster Hunter World and this is what they put:

I'll come back after I check the actual prices on those because that seems a bit high.

I would trust their recommendations w.r.t. components. You can see that specific article was updated in February, so like 6 months ago. Prices have likely changed in that time.

Use the builds listed on the main page if you want up-to-date pricing. Those are updated pretty much daily.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs