Playstation / VIta TV - Maximum HDD Size + Compatibility?

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by crimsonnight, Jul 31, 2017.

1. crimsonnight
    OP

crimsonnight GBAtemp Regular

Jan 9, 2008
    Hey guys,

I want to grab an external drive for my Vita TV (running Enso Henkaku) and wanted to know what the maximum size I can use with it is? Also, which drives definitely work, is there a list anywhere? Any particular types of drive I should avoid? I'd like to go with a drive that can be powered via the USB port if possible.

Cheers!

2. aos10

aos10 how i fotochop?

Apr 10, 2012
    Saudi Arabia
    [​IMG]

2TB HDD will work on PSTV,any external HDD will work like WD.

3. Kazesama

Kazesama Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 3, 2003
    United States
    Earth
    cannot be usb powered, has to have its own power source.. the usb on pstv cannot supply enough power (500mah), due to the power supply of the PS TV itself. (5V 2A)

Last edited by Kazesama, Jul 31, 2017
  4. crimsonnight
    OP

crimsonnight GBAtemp Regular

Jan 9, 2008
    Really? Some people have been saying that some 2.5" drives are working without power

5. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Depends of course on how much power it needs (without forgetting that the adapter also plays a role)

The sticker on the console claims it uses UP TO 1,6 A, which with the official PSP power brick (and tolerances) means that at full load 0,5 A are not too unrealistic, and of course the console isn't consuming maximum power at all times

6. StarGazerTom

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 2, 2015
    2.5" would usually be fine, because they lower their power consumption in return for slower read and transfer times.

Best bet is always a fully powered 3.5" as an external for games, such as the vita tv.

7. Kazesama

Kazesama Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 3, 2003
    United States
    Earth
    well it depends on the drive, while usb keys or SSD don't draw very much power, can work fine.. but if it's a 2.5" or 3.5" HDD, it most likely requires additional power.

http://www.buildcomputers.net/power-consumption-of-pc-components.html

Solid State Drive SSD -0.6 to 2.8 W
    2.5" Hard Disk Drive HDD - 0.7 to 3 W
    3.5" Hard Disk Drive HDD - 6.5 to 9 W

if you apply the math for the power supply and convert it to watts : 5V x 2A = 10W of available power, with the PS TV drawing most of it..

If you already have a usb powered HDD purchased, might I suggest to try and pluging in powered USB hub.

8. alucard_xs

alucard_xs GBAtemp Fan

Oct 31, 2012
    Canada
    thanks for those informations.
    BTW does the SD2vita work on Playstation TV ?

9. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    I've heard a lot of times that drives without external power burn out USB ports after a while.

10. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Max size is theoretically 128PB, the max size an exfat volume can have.

But the max size I've seen that works is somewhere around 2TB or so (as posted in this thread). I believe I've seen someone get a 3TB drive working, but I can't find the info on that anymore.

As to power from the USB port, you'll have to go for a 2.5 HDD otherwise you won't meet the power requirement as the PSTV doesn't put out much power over USB. If you want max size, you'll need an external power HDD.

Skylinedeadline likes this.