Hacking Playstation / VIta TV - Maximum HDD Size + Compatibility?

crimsonnight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys,

I want to grab an external drive for my Vita TV (running Enso Henkaku) and wanted to know what the maximum size I can use with it is? Also, which drives definitely work, is there a list anywhere? Any particular types of drive I should avoid? I'd like to go with a drive that can be powered via the USB port if possible.

Cheers!

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
5FDLLHbl.jpg

2TB HDD will work on PSTV,any external HDD will work like WD.

Reactions: cearp

Kazesama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cannot be usb powered, has to have its own power source.. the usb on pstv cannot supply enough power (500mah), due to the power supply of the PS TV itself. (5V 2A)

Last edited by Kazesama,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Really? Some people have been saying that some 2.5" drives are working without power
Depends of course on how much power it needs (without forgetting that the adapter also plays a role)

The sticker on the console claims it uses UP TO 1,6 A, which with the official PSP power brick (and tolerances) means that at full load 0,5 A are not too unrealistic, and of course the console isn't consuming maximum power at all times

Reactions: cearp
D

Deleted User

Really? Some people have been saying that some 2.5" drives are working without power
2.5" would usually be fine, because they lower their power consumption in return for slower read and transfer times.

Best bet is always a fully powered 3.5" as an external for games, such as the vita tv.

Kazesama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

well it depends on the drive, while usb keys or SSD don't draw very much power, can work fine.. but if it's a 2.5" or 3.5" HDD, it most likely requires additional power.

http://www.buildcomputers.net/power-consumption-of-pc-components.html

Solid State Drive SSD -0.6 to 2.8 W
2.5" Hard Disk Drive HDD - 0.7 to 3 W
3.5" Hard Disk Drive HDD - 6.5 to 9 W

if you apply the math for the power supply and convert it to watts : 5V x 2A = 10W of available power, with the PS TV drawing most of it..

If you already have a usb powered HDD purchased, might I suggest to try and pluging in powered USB hub.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Max size is theoretically 128PB, the max size an exfat volume can have.

But the max size I've seen that works is somewhere around 2TB or so (as posted in this thread). I believe I've seen someone get a 3TB drive working, but I can't find the info on that anymore.

As to power from the USB port, you'll have to go for a 2.5 HDD otherwise you won't meet the power requirement as the PSTV doesn't put out much power over USB. If you want max size, you'll need an external power HDD.

Reactions: Skylinedeadline

Clutz450

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not mine, but i think non powered external HDD will works.

If not yours, then where did you get that picture from? I'd like to ask that person what drive they used so I can try that one out myself.

I think it depends on the capacity. 500GBs and up should use a power supply. I'm using a 128GB flash drive myself.

My 2TB Western Digital MyBook Essential has it's own power supply but for whatever reason does not want to be recognized by the PSTV. I've used this same drive on both the Wii and the Wii U and both systems recognized the drive without issue. I'm just not understanding why the PSTV won't.

I do have a powered USB hub that I verified works on the PSTV and I don't mind going out and buying a new 2TB drive. But I would like to buy one that someone else has used and had success with.

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
If not yours, then where did you get that picture from? I'd like to ask that person what drive they used so I can try that one out myself.

My 2TB Western Digital MyBook Essential has it's own power supply but for whatever reason does not want to be recognized by the PSTV. I've used this same drive on both the Wii and the Wii U and both systems recognized the drive without issue. I'm just not understanding why the PSTV won't.

I do have a powered USB hub that I verified works on the PSTV and I don't mind going out and buying a new 2TB drive. But I would like to buy one that someone else has used and had success with.
he used a USB hub with power adapter and connected the HDD to that USB hub.
it's segat slim HDD.

Clutz450

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes.
I think even WD will work (the ones with no external power supply)
You need a Y USB cable too.

Well I already have an externally powered USB hub that I tested on my PSTV and I know that works. So I shouldn't need a Y-cable, correct?

I just checked BestBuy online to see what hard drives are available today for pickup. I didn't see any Seagate ones but they did have some Western Digital in stock. The one I am looking at is here. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-my-...able-hard-drive-black/5605528.p?skuId=5605528

They also have one that is specifically advertised for use on the PS4. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-my-...able-hard-drive-black/6110901.p?skuId=6110901 It looks like the same drive but it's more expensive though. But I'm tempted to buy it because of it's guaranteed too work with the PS4 then maybe my chances it wound work on the Vita may be better.

Last edited by Clutz450,

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Well I already have an externally powered USB hub that I tested on my PSTV and I know that works. So I shouldn't need a Y-cable, correct?

I just checked BestBuy online to see what hard drives are available today for pickup. I didn't see any Seagate ones but they did have some Western Digital in stock. The one I am looking at is here. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-my-...able-hard-drive-black/5605528.p?skuId=5605528

They also have one that is specifically advertised for use on the PS4. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-my-...able-hard-drive-black/6110901.p?skuId=6110901 It looks like the same drive but it's more expensive though. But I'm tempted to buy it because of it's guaranteed too work with the PS4 then maybe my chances it wound work on the Vita may be better.
It's the same drive, don't buy the expansive one.

The reason i said to use Y cable is for non powered HDD drive, not for already powered HDD, also check your plugins, maybe it's the reason why the PSTV not seeing your HDD.

Clutz450

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's the same drive, don't buy the expansive one.

The reason i said to use Y cable is for non powered HDD drive, not for already powered HDD, also check your plugins, maybe it's the reason why the PSTV not seeing your HDD.

I think my plugins are fine since the PSTV recognizes and works fine with a 32GB thumb drive. I'll let you know what I figure out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lDRjqI-fBVI&pp=ygUPVml0Z2luIG1hZ2ljaWFu