PlayStation 4 OFW 9.00 Jailbreak released, can reportedly affect PS5 consoles as well

ps4-slim-and-pro-image-block-01-en-23jul20.png

There's a new PlayStation 4 exploit in town--PS4 scene developers have released pOOBs4, a new kernel exploit that affects consoles on firmware 9.0.0. According to the pOOBs4 GitHub page, this exploit functions a little differently from previous PS4 jailbreak methods; you'll need a dedicated USB drive with the jailbreak software, which you'll insert into the system at a specific time during the process. The hack can also work on the PlayStation 5, claims the team, but triggering it isn't possible yet, and they recommend that users don't try to mess with their PS5 consoles until more information is available on how it affects that system. Currently, any PS4 that is on OFW 9.0.0 or below is exploitable using this method.

In this project you will find an implementation that tries to make use of a filesystem bug for the Playstation 4 on firmware 9.00. The bug was found while diffing the 9.00 and 9.03 kernels. It will require a drive with a modified exfat filesystem. Successfully triggering it will allow you to run arbitrary code as kernel, to allow jailbreaking and kernel-level modifications to the system. will launch the usual payload launcher (on port 9020).

The instructions and jailbreak file itself can be downloaded from the source below. Useful homebrew tools Mira and GoldHEN have also been updated to work with this new version.

• You need to insert the USB when the alert pops up, then let it sit there for a bit until the ps4 storage notifications shows up.
  • Unplug the USB before a (re)boot cycle or you'll risk corrupting the kernel heap at boot.
  • The browser might tempt you into closing the page prematurely, don't.
  • The loading circle might freeze while the webkit exploit is triggering, this means nothing.
  • This bug works on certain PS5 firmwares, however there's no known strategy for exploiting it at the moment. Using this bug against the PS5 blind wouldn't be advised.

:arrow: Source

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have a dilemma then. Better play it safe and stay on 5.05 and hope for back-ports.

Me thinks I'll buy a 2nd ps4 coz my 7.55 is working intermittently, or cough out a grand for a ps5

Oh no I'm totally fine the 6.67 CFW PS4 that I have has been sitting inside my storage for 6 months I have a legit PS4 that is on the latest firmware and I have the majority of the PS4 games...

I had wanted to copy a disk to my PS4 but they say I have to copy it twice (which is stupid) to make the fake PKG... but I'll definitely keep my eye on 9.00 now the only issue I see with this in the future is the exploit isn't permanent and you NEED internet to run it.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't turned my PS4 on in a few months. Maybe I am at the lower version. If I am I would love to mess with this!
The PS4 here wasn't used for weeks or even months and it didn't automatically update the FW so you're probably good too.

This makes it worth upgrading a PS4 with 500GB to 2TB or more.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh no I'm totally fine the 6.67 CFW PS4 that I have has been sitting inside my storage for 6 months I have a legit PS4 that is on the latest firmware and I have the majority of the PS4 games...

I had wanted to copy a disk to my PS4 but they say I have to copy it twice (which is stupid) to make the fake PKG... but I'll definitely keep my eye on 9.00 now the only issue I see with this in the future is the exploit isn't permanent and you NEED internet to run it.
you should be able to self host, so internet isn't needed.

Reactions: afeufeufeu

tpax

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
That's good news. I absolutely don't care about the PS4, or consoles in general (minor exceptions may apply). But hearing about a new exploit for any console being released always triggers some kind of nostalgia and joy in me.

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

you definitely dont need internet

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been using my sandisk connect. it's a wifi stick that doesn't connect to the internet. its main function is streaming from one source to another I believe. however, it can be used with the ps4.

Reactions: Goku1992A

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've been using my sandisk connect. it's a wifi stick that doesn't connect to the internet. its main function is streaming from one source to another I believe. however, it can be used with the ps4.
i just block internet access for the ps4 on my router :P its still able to connect locally to my pc

Reactions: godreborn

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Howe stable is it? I might try it out if its not so bad in comparison to 7.02
So far, I have tried 5 times and was able to run goldhen 5 times. I tried a few homebrew apps, but some of them crashed the console instantly. Maybe the apps need to be updated to 9.00, though.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So far, I have tried 5 times and was able to run goldhen 5 times. I tried a few homebrew apps, but some of them crashed the console instantly. Maybe the apps need to be updated to 9.00, though.
hmmm well thats good enough for me only app I use the most is the cracked crunchyroll

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-