Hardware Playing the Wii off a monitor?

wildfire95

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I love my Wii, but I really need to get it working on my monitor somehow.. I've tried my TV tuner, with no success, it either always lags (even when I use DScaler) or it just doesn't work at all..

My monitor is DVI / VGA sadly, and not HDMI, meaning that it's not just a matter of getting a VGA cable either. Although on the other hand my graphics card in my computer (ATI 5770) does, but I think thats just an output, and not an input.

.. I'm getting desperate now, is there any way I can play my Wii off my monitor? Anything at all?

Thanks in advance,
WiLDFiRE.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
That's a nice 'n cheap convertor. There is just one thing I cannot grasp at all: how the heck is it going to play the audio?
unsure.gif

Even if your monitor has built-in speakers...these will have their own audio-in port. Perhaps that's what the black wire on that cable is for (I don't know that much on hardware), but I wouldn't buy it until you have an answer to that question (and the proper gear to connect it to both your monitor and audio equipment).

Personally, I went with Vdigi's cable, based on this review. I can attest everything in that review, and if I didn't end up buying my own television, I'd still be using it right now.

Of course, the price is much more than what Aijelsop mentions, so if that cable actually works for you, then by all means: get it.
smile.gif

wiimanofthenorth

Trophies
XP
Country
The black wire is known as either S-video or SVHS. Nothing to do with audio.

To get audio on the monitor you'll need something like this Audio female RCA to male 3.5mm Then you hook that up to the inline audio of the monitor if it has speakers

Or if you want to hook up your computer speakers directly, you''ll need one of these, audio female RCA to female 3.5mm jack

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Nice...even with that extra cable included, the price is still about 10 times cheaper than I bought it. I guess I should've looked harder back then.
smile.gif

Oh, just a final question out of curiosity: do you have any black screen errors with some gamecube games?
(this was the main disadvantage of the vdigi cables I had)

wildfire95

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So, my cable arrived, and I plugged the corresponding cables into the adapter, red to red, yellow to yellow and so forth..

The monitor is saying 'No connection' though :/ Is there a certain setting the Wii needs to be on (display-wise) in order for it to work?

Thanks in advance, and I'll reward anyone who helps me solve this problem for me!
biggrin.gif

EDIT - I'm using the default cables for the Wii as well, and I can't run it in 480p.. does that make a difference? Not entirely sure.

Porobu

Gbatemps Shiny Latias
Trophies
XP
Country
wildfire95 said:
So, my cable arrived, and I plugged the corresponding cables into the adapter, red to red, yellow to yellow and so forth..

The monitor is saying 'No connection' though :/ Is there a certain setting the Wii needs to be on (display-wise) in order for it to work?

Thanks in advance, and I'll reward anyone who helps me solve this problem for me!
biggrin.gif

EDIT - I'm using the default cables for the Wii as well, and I can't run it in 480p.. does that make a difference? Not entirely sure.
Try changing from pal 576i to pal 480i

Soldjermon

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
soldjermon.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
well, I know a VGA box that can do everything; including audio. o3o

the product is: Multi-Input VGA box

Product Description from source link(a little more organized as well.. >3>):
QUOTE said:
The Multi-Input VGA Box is compatible with all game consoles or devices that use RCA connections.
The Multi-Input VGA Box accepts any NTSC or PAL system video inputs and convert it into RGB output for any VGA Monitor automatically.
The Multi-Input VGA Box also has standard 3.5mm speaker jack to computer speakers; and supports On-Screen Display for easy navigation.

Features:
  • Connect up to four game consoles or devices to PC monitor
  • Accepts NTSC or PAL systems
  • On-Screen Display
  • Includes VGA Cable & AC Adapter

four cons with this though..
[*]the VGA box needs to be plugged into an AC plug to get it to work.[*]when plugged into an AC plug, there is no on/off switch, from what I last checked. so it would need to be unplugged if not in use.[*]it can be a little bit on the pricey side, if you're concerned about saving money.[*]this does not support HDMI at all, unless you have a VGA to HDMI adapter.
other than that, this is a great product.
depending on what your decision would be, this is just a suggestion; even if you had bought just a VGA adapter already.

I actually own one of these, and it works like a charm with my old CRT monitors when it is in use, and I am able to switch from my PC screen to other AV screens with a push of a button; if all of the cords from the PC and the consoles are connected to the VGA box that is.
I've also figured out a way to get more than four of my video game consoles to hook up to the VGA box; which is having a switch that has all of my consoles plugged into that, and having the switch plugged into the VGA box.

so, there's my chunk of helpful information. I hope that this can help you play console games with your monitor; especially your Wii.

- Soldjermon

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntjkwIXWtrc&ab_channel=Apple I feel uncomfortable from watching...