Playing PS2 Games Of USB HDD On PS2 Slim

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Marco_Buns, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Marco_Buns
    OP

Marco_Buns GBAtemp Regular

Aug 31, 2015
    I have a question and i haven't found it anywhere so i am asking it here

Question: Is there a way that i can play ps2 games of USB HDD on my Ps2 Slim without free mcboot?

I know that you don't need it for the FAT but i just really want to know if there is a way.

I have been so much trouble getting free mcboot but failed everytime. So is there a way i can do it without free mcboot or not?

Thank You

Margen67 likes this.
  2. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    No, you'll need either a modchip to boot homebrew or FMCB to boot it.
    There's no way you can run games from a HDD on a PS2 without modifying it.

Margen67 likes this.
  3. iCEQB

iCEQB GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 2, 2013
    United States
    You could use "Swap Magic 3.8 Coder" ... it can launch ELF files from USB like OPL which can load games from USB :D

Margen67 likes this.
  4. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Can't you swap the FMCB installer file for OPL on burnt disc (changeing the offset) use tape/tissue/straw trick and agents under fire to boot direct to USB loader?

I successfully modded my PS2 slim recently and made FMCB card, I wondered if it was possible to do this without memory card. I haven't tried it.

5. iCEQB

Nov 2, 2013
    United States
    You can of course do that ... but why not just installing FMCB while you are at it, instead of always swapping the damn discs everytime you want to launch OPL and destroying your drive motor everytime you do that?

@OP: Whats exactly the reason you are not attempting to install FMCB? Is your PS2 not exploitable?

6. Marco_Buns
    OP

Aug 31, 2015
    Well i have done modding my PS2 but now i need action replay max evo, but i don't enough money for it and does it work if i burn it into DVD-RW?

7. iCEQB

Nov 2, 2013
    United States
    Well first thigns first .... you said you modded your PS2.
    With what? Modchip or FMCB?

In both cases you could use a DVD-R to play it but you should realy buy your software man ... piracy is not tolerated here.

8. KiiWii

KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 17, 2008
    United Kingdom
    Perhaps the OP doesn't have a memory card, or is worried they'll break the one they have (with decades of saves on it!) installing FMCB.

.. I dunno. Hehe!

9. Marco_Buns
    OP

Aug 31, 2015
    when i said mod then i mean that i put blue tack at places where i was supposed to put

10. dfsa3fdvc1

dfsa3fdvc1 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 3, 2015
    Albania
    Yeah, no clue why you wouldn't want to do FMCB...

Anyways, headsup, USB loading of games is absolute garbage. The USB on the PS2 is 1.0 and extremely slow. Slower than a burnt disc.

Margen67 likes this.
  11. Marco_Buns
    OP

Aug 31, 2015
    I do want FMCB but like i said, i have got alot of trouble trying to get it and does that swap trick work on ps2 games?

I know it works for ps1 games, i think a you know what i am talking about

Margen67 likes this.
  12. Marco_Buns
    OP

Aug 31, 2015
    UPDATE: I am maybe getting the fat version of PS2 and now i am wondering if i need fm boot or mod chip to play of a USB HDD?

Just curios

13. geishroy

geishroy Suspended

Suspended
    Dec 10, 2008
    United States
    As stated before the PS2 uses usb 1.0. you will have extremely choppy video as a result in mostly all games. I would recommend getting an internal ide drive and a network adapter if this is a fat ps2. if not your only real option is to burn your discs, but you may have issues with some games. There is a method of using a legit copy of 007 agent under fire and a burned modified version of it by disassembling the ps2 and swapping the disc at the right time, this will prevent the PS2 from knowing that the disc had been ejected and swapped and it will still read the disc as if it were the retail one. But you would need to obtain a copy of that game, it may just be easy to have someone make a mem card for you.

But anyway usb hdd is garbage on ps2.

14. dfsa3fdvc1

dfsa3fdvc1 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 3, 2015
    Albania
    All you need is FMCB
    If you have a Fat you would be much better off loading from an IDE HDD with a Network Adapter. That's the ideal way to play. Makes load times much faster

Here's a list of methods from fastest to slowest
    IDE HDD
    Retail Game
    Burnt Game
    Network Share
    USB