Hacking Playing GBA games with Acekard 2i on DS Lite

mx_maniac

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've spent a few hours of recearch before posting this, but just can't find the answers to a couple basic questions.

I'm planning on buying a used DS Lite, (not the DSI). Reason I don't want a DSI is because I still want the option to play GBA games, and also I see used DS lites for sale for only around $50-$90. I haven't owned a portable game system since back when the gameboy color came out, so I've got a whole slew of GBA games and DS games to catch up on, so the DS lite will be fine.

Based on my research Acekard 2i is the best. However the most current articles I could find were still 5 months old. Is it still the best, or are there any better ones out now? I heard the m3i zero might be worth considering.

Also the main point of my question, I haven't been able to find much info on how to play GBA backups with the Aceakrd 2i (or whatever one I end up getting). I'd like to know how to before i buy. I find some info saying you need a seperate slot 2 flash cart, however I can't find any sort of details as to what kind/model etc. Other info says that it has some "passme" feature, however after hours of searching I can't find any info on how it works, and have found conflicting evidence if it needs any additional flash cart, wether they boot right off the sd card in the Acekard. Can anyone clear this up and tell me what all I need to buy in order to play both DS and GBA backups on a DS Lite. And if I do need a flash cart to do it, could you tell me the best brand/model to use?

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can absolutely NOT run GBA games from slot 1; you have to have a slot 2 cart. There is a slot 1 flashcart called the iPlayer that has its own CPU and RAM that is powerful enough to emulate GBA games, but it costs a lot more than the AK2i, and it won't play DS roms (it's designed to play videos). There is also the Supercard DS Two which will supposedly be able to emulate GBA games and will run DS roms, but it isn't out yet. Even if you do get a slot 1 cart that can emulate the GBA, you're still using emulation instead of just running the game on the DS Lite's built in GBA hardware, so compatibility won't be as good.

What you want is an Acekard 2 (you only need the i version if you want to use it on a DSi) and an EZ-Flash 3in1 Expansion Pack. The AKAIO custom loader has built in support for playing GBA games with the 3in1.

As for other slot 1 carts, you might consider the M3 Real (again, the i version just adds DSi compatibility). I've never used one myself, but it has an optional GBA expansion pack of its own, and most of the people that use it seem to think it's good. Its GBA feature set is better than the 3in1 (it has cheats and real time saves for example).

The CycloDS Evolution is very good (it's what I use), but it's also very expensive, and its feature set isn't really much better than other cheaper carts any more.

One thing to consider is do you want real time saves for DS games? The Acekard doesn't have that, but most other flashcarts do (it doesn't work that well on some of them though).

Personally, at this point I'd just get an AK2 and a 3in1 from DealExtreme. I think the two of them together would be a bit under $30USD shipped.

XWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
I cannot believe people still push for DX with their bad track record (delivery, faulty kit, etc)...

http://www.dscardworld.com/

I used their sister site for the UK, perfect service and well built card. They only do the Acekard 2i but delivery much better than DX. Not sure of the best US supplier for the 3in1.

I have the A2i + 3in1plus combo - works perfectly with Akiao for GBA games.

Danny Tanner

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Isn't EZIV a GBA cart entirely? Sure, you can plug them both into your system, but they'd run independently (unless you mean an EZ 3-in-1).

Maybe if you write a game to NOR, the Acekard could read it but that's a stretch. You have them both plugged in anyway so it shouldn't really matter.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I can put like 90 songs on a CD lol